Thread: Savage 10 FCP-SR vs Bergara B-14 HMR

Feedback Score

Savage 10 FCP-SR vs Bergara B-14 HMR

Hello All,

Based on my previous post, I've narrowed my search for a rifle down to 2 models. I'm going to use this rifle to try and become a better marksman, and eventually start doing longer range shooting. So, it will be 100% a paper/steel rifle. Unless, of course, the S hits the fan, in which case, I'll use it to put food on the table.

So, here are my options:

Savage 10 FCP-SR Right now I can get it for about $550 after rebate.
    Bergara B-14 HMR for about $950

The Savage has a 2" longer barrel, but I think the Bergara is the better rifle. I'm not sure if it's $400 better though.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    What caliber are you looking at?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Savage 10 FCP-SR vs Bergara B-14 HMR

Bergara in 6.5 CM no doubt.

But I would look at the Tikka tac A1 or whatever it is called as well. Along with the Ruger RPR.

Skip the savage due to the proprietary magazines and the terrible savage extraction issues.

I know some people have had a savage action for a long time but mine went down fairly quick.

ALSO if you are getting into the long range precision game $400 is nothing.

If I could give anyone advice on firearms is to stay with AR's and handguns. You can build 3 high end ARs for why I have in my bolt gun. Probably more.

Everything is expensive in the long range game. Cleaning equipment, ammo, optics, triggers, stocks, barrels... ETC. I swear companies who make precision equipment just see $$$$ signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenneth; 04-18-17 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    I'd intended to get my first bolt gun in 308. I'd read that when you can push that cartridge to it's limits then you should think about longer range stuff. But, based on the advice I've gotten here, I'm probably just going to go with a 6.5 CM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the 6.5 better because it's recoil is much tamer.

Not saying the .308 is bad but I can watch my Bullet impact my targets through my scope.

Also the 6.5 is sorta like cheating. I went to a rifle class and out of 17 or 18 people 3 of us were shooting the creedmoor.

All 3 of us were making hits at 1k WAY before any of the .308 guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I fondled the B14 HMR in 308 yesterday. It has a smooth bolt operation and very nice trigger break. It seems like the best deal out there in terms of the whole package- R700 pattern, takes normal mags, factory threaded barrel and great trigger, all sitting in a nice stock.
    Long range is not a game I started, but it is on the radar. I figure the same rules apply- but once, cry once.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I picked up a Bergara HMR yesterday and damn I love this thing already. With 140gr Hornady American Gunner ammo I'm getting about a .75 inch group at 100. I'm sure with better ammo and shooter this could be a half moa rifle.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Bergara wasn't even on my radar until this thread but now I'm shopping for a 6.5 HMR. It checks all the boxes of what I'm looking for in a bolt gun.
    Last edited by dmd08; 04-29-17 at 22:53. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised the Bergara has not received more attention. Compared to what else is out there especially at that price point it looks like a real deal.
    Last edited by Pikey; 04-30-17 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    I have a Savage FCP-SR in .308.

In it's price range, I think it's tops... Mine was $510 out the door.

If something happened to it, I'd probably go buy another one... Unless I had another $300-400 to spend. Then I'd buy the Bergara.

My Savage works fine, and it shoots really well (better than me), but the magazines do suck. Converting the bottom metal would cost $200+.

Also, like somebody already said, $400 in the cost of the rifle itself is not a big deal compared to what you're going to spend on a scope and ammo and components and other accessories.