Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: FN 509

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    This is kinda interesting and a improvement over the good ole standard FNS that had 0 aftermarket goodies ! Looks like a few places have hopped on board ! Flat trigger from Apex,,kinda cool ! I loved my FNS but sold it for another project so if I can't find a CZ P10c in the next few months I just mite grab one of these and give it a try.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ger-flat-face/
    Oops,Tequila45 announced this back in post #42. I missed a lot when all the talk of the "other" gun was running rampant,,sorry guys. It really does spark my interest a bit more though.
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 05-09-17 at 00:12.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was about to take mine in to the gun store yesterday to put on consignment but took it out of the safe and immediately remembered how nice it is in the hand. I own a glock, I love CZ's, and have a smattering of other hand guns, but I appreciate the quality, pointability, and dedicated design towards a duty gun that FN puts out. I don't understand all the hate towards them other than it isn't tacticool enough for most people. It works and feeds anything. I will however, since moving out of California look to sell my 10 round mags!
    I feel your pain fallenromeo. I miss cali's sun and fun, but everything else makes me smile when I can go to the range now that I'm out of that state.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    This is kinda interesting and a improvement over the good ole standard FNS that had 0 aftermarket goodies ! Looks like a few places have hopped on board ! Flat trigger from Apex,,kinda cool ! I loved my FNS but sold it for another project so if I can't find a CZ P10c in the next few months I just mite grab one of these and give it a try.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ger-flat-face/
    Oops,Tequila45 announced this back in post #42. I missed a lot when all the talk of the "other" gun was running rampant,,sorry guys. It really does spark my interest a bit more though.
    How'd you like the FNS? My brother had one and it had a great trigger from what I remember but felt like more of the same.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunMiddie View Post
    How'd you like the FNS? My brother had one and it had a great trigger from what I remember but felt like more of the same.
    I always liked it ! It shot in good & the trigger felt fine after some rds but it was always decent I thought even from the start ! I had at least 4 or 5K through that gun and it really performed great,one of my "most" accurate guns I owned at the time ! I sold it cuz I ran into a killer deal on a Presicion Rifle so I traded it towards that,, Still wish I had it really but hell they make new ones everyday I guess. I just mite look for a 509, I think its the FNS only better. I always loved the grip/angle/etc,just always felt great in the hand.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I always liked it ! It shot in good & the trigger felt fine after some rds but it was always decent I thought even from the start ! I had at least 4 or 5K through that gun and it really performed great,one of my "most" accurate guns I owned at the time ! I sold it cuz I ran into a killer deal on a Presicion Rifle so I traded it towards that,, Still wish I had it really but hell they make new ones everyday I guess. I just mite look for a 509, I think its the FNS only better. I always loved the grip/angle/etc,just always felt great in the hand.
    I agree, they all seem to fit well in the hand, main reason I couldn't sell my FNP, too accurate and nice design, think 509 will absolutely be more of the same.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunMiddie View Post
    I agree, they all seem to fit well in the hand, main reason I couldn't sell my FNP, too accurate and nice design, think 509 will absolutely be more of the same.
    For sure any FN I have held I always really liked ! My Local Gun Guy has had a used 9mm FNX for a long time and I have toyed with that ideal cuz I have been into CZs the last couple years so the DA/SA hammer gun is no big deal anymore for me. BUT with that said I keep holding out cuz the more I read/watch about the 509 the more I like it, so time will tell ! APEX making stuff for it and supposedly "more" aftermarket support is a good thing I guess,but as long as I can find mags and a good holster the less concerned I am about all the extra stuff we think we need on new guns,,,LOL I have seen some good deals on the 509 on GB but have not enlisted my local shops to try and find one for me ! They day I find one local and hold it will be the breaking point I'm sure !!
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 05-29-17 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have a sizable round count and opinion on the 509 yet? Any concerns?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So far ive handled two samples of 509's in gun stores and both of them had mag release related issues.

The first one had a funky mag release that had to be depressed at a certain angle in order for the mag to drop. It almost felt like you had to "double click" the button in order to get it to go as a single application of pressure on the pad didnt drop the mag. I had to move my thumb around and find the sweet spot in order for the mag to release. Maybe a better explanation would be, on a Glock, if you MASH the magazine release button the mag will drop no matter how hard you press that release. On the 509, I would press the release maybe 50% of the way and it wouldnt drop. I would press it to 100% of its travel and the mag wouldnt drop. I would back off and press somewhere between 50% and 100% and the mag would drop.

The second sample would eject the magazine but it wouldnt fall freely from the gun. The gun store commando explained that the gun was new and needed a break in. My response was "you're full of shit".

Other than this issue, everything about this pistol is exceptional. The grip shape, the sights, the trigger. Its got HUGE potential IF the magazine release issue isnt widespread.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    So far ive handled two samples of 509's in gun stores and both of them had mag release related issues.

The first one had a funky mag release that had to be depressed at a certain angle in order for the mag to drop. It almost felt like you had to "double click" the button in order to get it to go as a single application of pressure on the pad didnt drop the mag. I had to move my thumb around and find the sweet spot in order for the mag to release. Maybe a better explanation would be, on a Glock, if you MASH the magazine release button the mag will drop no matter how hard you press that release. On the 509, I would press the release maybe 50% of the way and it wouldnt drop. I would press it to 100% of its travel and the mag wouldnt drop. I would back off and press somewhere between 50% and 100% and the mag would drop.

The second sample would eject the magazine but it wouldnt fall freely from the gun. The gun store commando explained that the gun was new and needed a break in. My response was "you're full of shit".

Other than this issue, everything about this pistol is exceptional. The grip shape, the sights, the trigger. Its got HUGE potential IF the magazine release issue isnt widespread.
    I've fondled a sample of 3 and ALL of them had odd mag release tendencies from the left side of the pistol, but seemed fine from the right.

I just couldn't get consistent mag drops at all. Nice pistol otherwise. Maybe it's something that requires acclimation and break in. For those considering it though, try it a few times before you commit to a purchase.

And the clarify the mags aren't "stuck", they just don't drop free easily.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    10:07 Mag release button 10:07

Last edited by .XL; 05-30-17 at 22:48.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast