Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G23 to keep or not to keep.

Feedback Score

G23 to keep or not to keep.

I've got a G23 but I've been kicking around trying to trade it for a G19. Mainly because 9mm is cheaper to shoot. I bought it back before the AWB sunset in 2004. At the time I thought since I can only have 10rnds I'll take 10 of the larger.40. Jump to the present and standard capacity mags have been available for may years even if 9 is less powerful I get more of them. That said it's really a moot point since I carry a G43 99% of the time now anyway. I have though of just getting a conversion barrel but I read of potential reliability issues. I had thought of just getting a G19 barrel and slide but that starts to get close to the cost of just buying another gun. Thoughts.

Feedback Score
    Get a 19 if you ever intend to use it for defensive purposes. It would complement the G43 well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Get a 19 if you ever intend to use it for defensive purposes.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That has crossed my mind. If I had a conversion barrel or G19 slide/barrel and I had to use it in self defense, though legal how would it be viewed by law enforcement or if it got so far as court. So I guess carry it as a 23 if I keep it?

Feedback Score
    My other question is a conversion barrel reliable enough for a pistol class? I wouldn't care to take one some day but 9mm ammo is much cheaper now days.
    I don't think I'll miss the 23 but silly as it is I get attached to things and I've had it along time. I can't use the effectiveness of the .40 as an argument since I rarely carry it anymore.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevslatvin View Post
    That has crossed my mind. If I had a conversion barrel or G19 slide/barrel and I had to use it in self defense, though legal how would it be viewed by law enforcement or if it got so far as court. So I guess carry it as a 23 if I keep it?
    Zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevslatvin View Post
    My other question is a conversion barrel reliable enough for a pistol class? I wouldn't care to take one some day but 9mm ammo is much cheaper now days.
    I don't think I'll miss the 23 but silly as it is I get attached to things and I've had it along time. I can't use the effectiveness of the .40 as an argument since I rarely carry it anymore.
    A pistol class would be the ideal place to shake out a conversion barrel and setup.

The effectiveness of a .40 compared to 9mm is no longer an issue.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just rebarrel and blaze 9mm until it dries up and .40 is all you can get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Just rebarrel and blaze 9mm until it dries up and .40 is all you can get.
    This reminds me of one of the past ammo shortages when Walmart's shelves were bare except for a few lone boxes of .357 sig. I have thought of with 9mm and 357 sig barrels I could shoot 3 different calibers. But then again I don't know how much I'd shoot the 357 just due to cost.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not a fan of .40
    I vote to go 9mm or 45

Feedback Score
    NUMBER NINE...NUMBER NINE....NUMBER NINE.....

Even if you are careful and exercise prudent gun safety, you could accidentally grab the wrong ammo for the wrong barrel at some point. You arrive at the range and realize, "Oops. I grabbed 40 and still had the 9mm barrel installed." Or, if it went the other way you could accidentally chamber 9mm in the 40 barrel and have a really bad day.

I would choose one and stick to it, preferably nine since the practice ammo is cheaper and there are really good defensive loads as well.

Feedback Score
    I would get an upper conversion or 9mm barrel. Good luck trying to get someone to trade you a 9mm for 40. Also, if trying to sell they are the least popular and you wont be getting a premium for it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast