Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: FN 509

Feedback Score
    I picked one up for $499 with the mail in rebate for 3 free magazines.. Couldn't pass up the deal. Initial impressions are good. The gun is built like a tank. The slide had some mass to it and the overall construction makes it seem like the gun was built for an extended life cycle shooting hotter than normal ammo.

The gun feels good in the hand. The grip angle is nice and it points naturally for me. I wish the grip texture was a bit more "grippy" but overall not to bad. It has a nice undercut on the trigger guard which allows you to get pretty high up on the gun.

The trigger, while a bit heavy, breaks clean and has a decent reset. The trigger actually feels lighter then what it measures and I contribute that to the fact that the trigger breaks farther forward then say and M&P.

The magazine release is interesting. For some reason the button requires you to press it further on the left side of the gun then on the right side. At first I had some issues with the magazine dropping clean when using the left side magazine release. ( right hand shooter). I took the spring out of the magazine release which was really simple to do. It is kinda of an S shape spring. Looking over the spring I noticed that the ends of the spring had a slight bend to them. It seems this was done to allow the spring to compress a bit easier and not bind up. After playing with the angle of the spring a bit and placing it back into the gun, the magazine release works like a charm. Maybe it was binding up a bit from the factory.

The stock sights are ok, nothing to write hope about. It's nice that it will take any Sig #8 sight so there are tons of options out there already.

The barrel is interesting. There is slight tapper at the end to improve lock up. And it does lock up tight. It has a nice recessed crown and seems to be great quality. Accuracy has been above par when ranked against other guns of this type. The one thing that I really do not like is the short chamber. For whatever reason, the chamber in this gun is every bit as shot as my CZs. While most won't even notice this, bullet section when reloading now comes into play and you must find a bullet profile that will work, or load alot shorter then you normally would. I found that typical range ammo and HSTs had no problems but my reloads using delta precision HP had to be loaded quite a bit shorter.

Recoil impulse is nice and soft. I saw a few comments where someone stated that the loads in the videos looked softer and dribbled out of the gun. Well, its more than likely not the loads as this gun is sprung. In my opinion, it is sprung way to heavy for 9mm. While it doesn't effect function, I think the shooting characteristics could be improved by tuning the recoil spring to the loads you shoot most often.

Overall its a great gun. It is not ground breaking in anyway just another very competitive option. Will it replace everyone's glock? More than likely not.

We are lucky enough to live in a time where we have options. There are a lot of great companies producing great products. With all of this competition, guns keep getting better and better. The FN 509 is an example of that. A solid entry into the polymer pistol market.
    Last edited by jrb1975; 08-04-17 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    Last week I was able to rent and compare the FN / PPQ M2/ and a CZ P10 ..... The PPQ was the best one for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really wanted to like the 509, but I have a very hard time activating the mag release. you really have to push it straight in, and far at that.

Feedback Score
    I feel like the 509 is big and rugged which makes for a nice carry gun but it doesn't fit a large part of the market which is g19 sized firearms that can perform multiple tasks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I totally agree matt. I'm not sure why more manufacturers haven't made G19 sized guns. There have been several lately, like the 320 and the P10, but it always surprises me that FN and S&W with the M&P haven't made a gun in that size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zjhagens View Post
    I totally agree matt. I'm not sure why more manufacturers haven't made G19 sized guns. There have been several lately, like the 320 and the P10, but it always surprises me that FN and S&W with the M&P haven't made a gun in that size.
    CZ, Walther, and sig have definitely hammered that niche home with their recent models. Full size heavy guns seem to be falling out of favor

Feedback Score
    Anyone else get any hands on time with the 509 yet?

Feedback Score
    -snip
    Last edited by Talon762; 10-07-21 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    I have had mine for a few months just under 1,300 rounds without cleaning and really enjoy and like this pistol. I have several failures to feed over the last 100 rounds or so and decided it was time to put some lube on it. the 509 is keeper in my mind, fits my hand great, the trigger has the perfect combination for weight and rolling break. I see myself milling it for an RMR in the future.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011