Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I like FN long arms, but their pistols are a complete "meh".
    I usually would agree with your sentiment but this one looks like is has some potential.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by southswede; 04-17-17 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    As the owner of a FNS, I can't see very significant or meaningful changes in this new FN 509. They made it about 0.1" longer and taller and changed the styling. The changes don't look any greater, to me, than between Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks, for one example.

In my use the FNS pistol has been pretty good, but nothing really stands out. Limited holster availability and hardly any other aftermarket is the biggest issue. But the factory package works pretty well without modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Watcher View Post
    I wonder how the warranty is? Hope it isn't the same as the FNS line of pistols.
    Why? What do you think the FNS warranty is? Whenever I've talked to FN they have been very helpful. On a PBR (rifle) they sent me a replacement scope rail, probably worth $100, just for asking when I called about problems with the factory installed 2-piece bases.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    As the owner of a FNS, I can't see very significant or meaningful changes in this new FN 509.

Why? What do you think the FNS warranty is? Whenever I've talked to FN they have been very helpful. On a PBR (rifle) they sent me a replacement scope rail, probably worth $100, just for asking when I called about problems with the factory installed 2-piece bases.
    Any striker fired polymer gun will have evolutionary changes vs revolutionary changes at this point. I have fired about 500rds through an FNS and it is one of my favorite shooting glock-like guns but I have yet to own one. The 509 might push some of those on the fence to jump.

As far as warranty, there is a thread on another forum were a user had a few FNS pistols and he had one break at 16k rounds. A spring broke and deadlined the slide somehow and they wanted 370 dollars for a replacement. FN chose to hide behind a clause in the user manual that required that the pistols be inspected at the factory every 2000 rounds and refused to warranty the pistol. What should have been a simple call for an RMA turned into a 25 odd page thread that left FNH with a rather large black eye after no resolution was reached.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like a good option. Not sure I would say it represents anything incredible over other options, but I don't see anything offensive either.

As an out the box purchase it probably will be just fine.

I'm more excited to try the CZ P10C, and M&P 2.0.
    Last edited by SpecWired; 04-18-17 at 00:46.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post

As far as warranty, there is a thread on another forum were a user had a few FNS pistols and he had one break at 16k rounds. A spring broke and deadlined the slide somehow and they wanted 370 dollars for a replacement. FN chose to hide behind a clause in the user manual that required that the pistols be inspected at the factory every 2000 rounds and refused to warranty the pistol. What should have been a simple call for an RMA turned into a 25 odd page thread that left FNH with a rather large black eye after no resolution was reached.

It was following that thread and watching it unfold that really soured me on the FN brand as a whole.

No thanks not for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Interesting. I haven't found that thread so far in my searching. Like I said, my one, very limited experience with FN service was great. What I've found searching is that many people report similar great experiences. I can't find any written warranty for my FNS or on their website, and it appears that they have an unwritten warranty like many gun makers (Ruger, for example). That can be good or bad - the customer has nothing to stand on if there's a problem, but many good companies will provide free repairs long after a typical written warranty would have expired. This can be arbitrary, of course - my understanding is that Ruger will repair old models as long as it has parts, but once they run out of parts will either do nothing, or maybe offer the value of the non-functioning gun as a credit towards the purchase of some equivalent model from their current line, which may be a good or worthless option depending on circumstances.

I like a written warranty, but realistically, if the company refuses to fix a $500 item it's not as if you're really going to file a lawsuit to get them to honor a warranty. Or they could go the route of certain importers, provide a "lifetime warranty" but be so incompetent and frustrating it's no better than no warranty at all.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If it is anything like the FNS I had it maybe the most uncomfortable to shoot autoloaders ever. If it isn't and is priced right it may be worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always thought that the FNS was one of the better shooting guns. I like it much better than the Glock that I carry.

In another note. The 509 is shipping NOW. They are leaving distributors today so you will see them in stores this week. Kudos to FNH for not making us wait forever to see product.

EDIT: I just had one of these in hand and I preferred the way it handled compared to the Beretta APX. It looks better in person than in photos and it feels a little bit more solid than the Sig P320 which isn't surprising to me. The trigger feels the same as the FNS but I did not have them side by side. The gun had very little lubrication on it from the factory so I assume some lubrication in the rifle spot and a little bit of shooting would smooth out the trigger. While the grip is an improvement compared to the FNS, if you didn't like it in that gun you probably wont like it in this one. I prefer the rougher texture compared its rivals. The packaging is spartan. It ships in a small soft case instead of the typical FN hard case but it would be easier to stuff into a separate range bag because of it.

Honestly if you didn't like the FNS this gun will not set the world on fire for you. I always like the FNS and this seems like a decent upgrade. I will probably snag one to see how I like it as I have a tradition of playing musical guns with everything besides my Glocks(which stay in my holster) and an FNS has been one of my favorite range guns and on my short list.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 04-18-17 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I usually would agree with your sentiment but this one looks like is has some potential.
    In what way will it do anything the more ubiquitous G19 won't do equally well?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast