Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everybody is a Glock cover band now

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    In what way will it do anything the more ubiquitous G19 won't do equally well?
    This looks full sized, I don't think FN even makes anything G19 sized.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not sure I am understanding all the hate towards this. Diversity is always good, not everyone likes Glock. I personally miss my FNP-9 that I had. It ran flawlessly through thousands of rounds, and felt way better to me than any glock I have ever fired. If this can work reliably and have similar accuracy to a Glock 19, I would give it serious consideration.

I miss my FNP-9. Stupid CA, can't buy a replacement.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Everybody is a Glock cover band now
    Absolutely correct. I don't see this wannabe Glock or any other wannabe Glock offering anything as good or better than the original. It there's no performance gain then there's no reason to change.

MM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to have a FNP-9 myself...great handgun. FN makes solid products all around that just flat out work.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    This looks full sized, I don't think FN even makes anything G19 sized.
    If this is about the size of the FNS, which is what the specs say, it's in between G17 and G19 sizes, based on both specified dimensions and my regular handling of the G17, G19 and FNS. Glock shoehorns a lot into compact packages, and other than Kahr no one else really manages the same. Sig's P320 seems to have similar size brackets to Glock (very large, just right, small, really small), but others mostly seem to do moderately large and moderately small.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Absolutely correct. I don't see this wannabe Glock or any other wannabe Glock offering anything as good or better than the original. It there's no performance gain then there's no reason to change.

MM
    I will argue the point here; the HK VP9 is dramatically more accurate than any Glock I have ever fired and is every bit as reliable. So I would say based on my experience, which I would think is considerable by anyone's standards, some pistols do offer more than a Glock. I am a fan of Glock pistols ( hence why 15,000 have been sold with my name attached to them) but I also call it as I see it. Glocks are the most popular pistols in the world but to insinuate they are the only good pistol or nothing else offers anything as good or better is simply not true.

Feedback Score

MM
    If accuracy is the only measure of performance, then there are better performing gun. There are probably better performing guns even if we consider accuracy and reliability. What keeps me (and I suspect many others) coming back to the Glock is:

1) How the Glock, and particularly the G19, efficiently uses its size as illustrated by the pictures that Molon posted here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...o-the-Glock-19
    That is to say, most average shooters will barely notice the accuracy and reliability superiority of the VP9, but even marginal shooters will notice the ~1/2" length difference on the grips between the 2 guns when carrying them concealed.

2) The wide market support for the Glock. Glock has a series of 9mm pistols in a massive range of sizes that default to a standard G17 magazine. Moreover, I once saw G17 mags at the Ace Hardware in Emerald Isle, NC. The fact that non-gun stores carry Glock parts tells you something about market support.

This new offering from FN will likely fall into the crowd of pistols that is arguably more reliable or accurate than the glock, but not enough to overwhelm points 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-18-17 at 23:25.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    If it is anything like the FNS I had it maybe the most uncomfortable to shoot autoloaders ever. If it isn't and is priced right it may be worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    The frame is supposed to be significantly more ergonomic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

MM
    Anything as good as or better than the original? How about ergonomics. Glocks are just uncomfortable to many shooters. Insofar as an entire cottage industry has emerged to improve Glock ergonomics. While I can shoot a stock Glock, I can shoot a Glock with an undercut, grooves removed, and stippled much better. Extended mag release and slide stops help me as well.

Many of the "Glock cover bands" as you call them, don't need such work. It saves the end-user time and money. It's becoming obvious with the new generation of striker-fired pistols are looking more and more similar as they become refined...such as PPQ, VP9, this new FN, the new Beretta, etc.

Glock is far from perfect but they are the golden standard and standby. I shoot and carry Glock; in part because I'm already invested in them. Glock guys are starting to sound like 1911 guys that spoke against Glock years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast