Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Leupold Mark 6 1-6x

Feedback Score

Alternatives to Leupold Mark 6 1-6x

I have a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 that's great in many ways, but also has two shortcomings that are making me consider alternatives. Both problems arise at higher magnifications: the eye box gets so small that it's hard to stay inside it, even with practicing a consistent cheek weld, and also the illumination appears to go dark unless my eye is perfectly centered in the eye box.

I've looked up the exit pupil and eye relief specs on a dozen similar models, and several are a bit larger, but I don't have first-hand experience with them to know how much difference it makes.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with other 1-6x scopes that don't have these problems? Or is this something you just have to train-up to?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    What's the base platform that this optic is applied to?

Feedback Score
    It's on an AR-15, in an ADM Recon mount.

Feedback Score
    A decent AR combo with this can do well. How experienced are you? No offense, just a point of reference?

Feedback Score
    I don't have a lot of experience, mostly just plinking. I got this scope because I'm gearing-up to give 3-Gun a try. Off a bench the eye box isn't too much of an issue, but that's not where 3-Gun happens, and shooting it off-hand has been pretty frustrating.

No offense taken – I'm pretty chill. Plus, I appreciate you taking the time here!

Feedback Score
    My advice would be to just jump in and get started 3-gun with what you have (it isn't like you are running a ghetto optic). You'll learn way more, way faster, running it in competition then we could tell you. Plus, you'll see (and maybe get to try) what everyone else is running.

If you get something different now, you may regret it finding out the Leupy was better...or more likely buy option "B" only to find out option "C" is better.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So like you, I owned a MK6 and sold it for the same reason, plus some others. I have replaced mine with the heavier alternatives the razor 1-6 and the trijicon 1-8. Both are amazing in the glass, eyebox, and reticle check boxes. The razor has outstanding illumination and the trijicon has adequate illumination in the red models. Definitely enough, but not rising sun aimpoint and razor/steiner brightness levels. If you can handle the extra 8 ounces over the mk6 then go with one of those. I could also recommend the Swarovski and kahles 1-6 models, but I only have limited hands on with both those scopes. They are both lighter than the 2 I chose but I stayed away from them due to their offered reticle choices. I like clean mil reticles and not BDC scopes. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Primary Arms 1-8X FFP has really caught my eye in capability, reticle, and price point.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've never owned an LPV, but given that the objective diameters are all basically 24mm, isn't it a certainty that the eyebox going to be small at the high end of the magnification range??
    Exit pupil = objective diameter / magnification

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    My advice would be to just jump in and get started 3-gun with what you have (it isn't like you are running a ghetto optic). You'll learn way more, way faster, running it in competition then we could tell you. Plus, you'll see (and maybe get to try) what everyone else is running.

If you get something different now, you may regret it finding out the Leupy was better...or more likely buy option "B" only to find out option "C" is better.
    This is good advise and work on the basic fundamentals of good shooting in different positions. Build up on the basics to become a better shooter and shoot often, those skill sets are all too easy to lose without practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast