Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMR: My first 308 build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fantastic looking .308 build...looks like she shoots well, too!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlung87 View Post
    Fantastic looking .308 build...looks like she shoots well, too!
    Thanks mt, I picked up some more Federal 175gr OTM ammo today. Saturday I'm going out to my little range and take it out to 400-450. I can't go much further Han that without poking holes in some cattle.

I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed. Quite a bit actually. From what I had read I was expecting a more unpleasant shooting experience, but I love shooting this thing.
    That could turn out to be a very dangerous thing. Or maybe expensive thing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wigbones View Post
    Great job Robert! I like the look of it! Certainly appears that you built yourself a quality rifle.
    Thank you my friend. I'm definitely a little more comfortable or maybe confident is a better word in being able to build a solid, reliable 308.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Robert, I really like your build...nice job on that one! I've been slowly accumulating parts for a similar build and I've been debating what barrel I'm going to use. I want an 18" with rifle length gas system and narrowed it down to the same barrel you have and a Faxon medium taper unit. The Faxon is around 13 ounces lighter so my question to you is, how do you find the BA barrel's weight? Does the rifle feel front heavy in any way? I saw today that AERO is running a sale on the QPQ 18" barrel....$175, so I'm really tempted to commit to one. I had also settled on an SLR hand guard, just couldn't decide between a SOLO or ION design until I saw yours. The SOLO it is for mine!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

DMR: My first 308 build

Thanks flyer, I appreciate the compliments! My first rail from SLR was the SOLO. It was just a little too long for me. When I sent it back, I made the decision to go MLok (ION Lite) all the way. I don't need picatinny at the end because I don't think I'll ever mount a light to this weapon.
    To your question. I specifically went out to my shop to handle my DMR. I knew it was balanced because I knew if it wasn't I would have noticed. It does feel very balanced. This is resting on my 7.62 block that's just sitting on top of my old 5.56 upper receiver block. If I move the rifle 1/4" to the right it will drop towards the stock. The stock does not have any batteries or anything in it. It's just a Vltor eMod. I believe Nathan and the Faxon team are good folk and make a good barrel. But BA is my barrel of choice. I do not believe for the money you can find a better barrel. I do own Daniel Defense barrels, but one is my very first build before I knew of BA, and the 2nd was because I needed an 11.5 and BA doesn't make one, so my next barrel of choice is Daniel Defense CHF. Are you prior service? BA has a military discount.
    I picked up my .308 barrel for $202.50. That still just blows my mind and it is accurate beyond my skill. For now anyway. I'm working on that part.

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 04-21-17 at 16:12.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great build!!

FaxonNathan Guest
    Give us time to change your mind. Great things are coming soon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    Give us time to change your mind. Great things are coming soon!
    Oh I don't think you'll have a hard time changing my mind. After all I do own a Faxon barrel. :-)

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Robert, that's a good looking rifle. Took me a while to figure out this was yours, haha! Did you get to shoot this past Saturday? How'd it handle past 400?
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Thanks flyer, I appreciate the compliments! My first rail from SLR was the SOLO. It was just a little too long for me. When I sent it back, I made the decision to go MLok (ION Lite) all the way. I don't need picatinny at the end because I don't think I'll ever mount a light to this weapon.
    To your question. I specifically went out to my shop to handle my DMR. I knew it was balanced because I knew if it wasn't I would have noticed. It does feel very balanced. This is resting on my 7.62 block that's just sitting on top of my old 5.56 upper receiver block. If I move the rifle 1/4" to the right it will drop towards the stock. The stock does not have any batteries or anything in it. It's just a Vltor eMod. I believe Nathan and the Faxon team are good folk and make a good barrel. But BA is my barrel of choice. I do not believe for the money you can find a better barrel. I do own Daniel Defense barrels, but one is my very first build before I knew of BA, and the 2nd was because I needed an 11.5 and BA doesn't make one, so my next barrel of choice is Daniel Defense CHF. Are you prior service? BA has a military discount.
    I picked up my .308 barrel for $202.50. That still just blows my mind and it is accurate beyond my skill. For now anyway. I'm working on that part.

I'm new to BA as well and have no idea what the barrel cost was for the rifle manufacturer since it was a complete rifle. BA says 240 MSRP.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/18-inc...rn-barrel.html

That said it's put been through the wringer for sure and I've never once thought I needed something else. Now then I do have some 'wants' in the weight department which are probably getting a little goofy it's already a 7lb 14oz nekd build, but there are some long all night thermal hog hunts coming this summer where a couple of pounds means a lot by the time we roll in at sunrise!

Did you get around to testing any SGAmmo flavors? I'd be interested to know what your favs were when it's all said and done.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-30-17 at 05:27.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12