Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mark Kexel on ar15podcast:

https://youtu.be/FYuMvIujCtg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Today I tried a 90gr Speer TNT into my block of Clear Gel. Impact velocity was 2,328 fps.

The bullet started to break apart about two inches into the block. It looks like it might have expanded and mushroomed from about four to seven inches and then started to fragment. A couple larger chunks of jacket and lead punched into about 14 inches. The majority of the lead core penetrated to about 18.

The largest recovered pieces weighed just under 80 grains. The chunk of core that made it 18 inches weighed 43 grains.

Not terribly surprising since the TNT is a varmint bullet. I imagine it would work well on coyotes (or wolverines) in the 277WLV.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there a general consensus on what is the optimal barrel length. I want as short as possible but still able to hunt out to 200 yards with it. I didn’t know if the 12.5” would have too much velocity loss. 14.5” maybe? I think if I was going to go 16” I would go with the 6.8 SPC. 16” with suppressor starts getting long in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Is there a general consensus on what is the optimal barrel length. I want as short as possible but still able to hunt out to 200 yards with it. I didn’t know if the 12.5” would have too much velocity loss. 14.5” maybe? I think if I was going to go 16” I would go with the 6.8 SPC. 16” with suppressor starts getting long in the field.
    That's a good question.

I like the 12.5 from a toting around standpoint. Even with my 30-cal can the length isn't too bad. Would an additional two inches be a deal killer?

I've seen a couple recent threads on the MDWS forums with guys getting 2800fps from 18" barrels using Shooter's World Blackout powder. I haven't used this powder yet but, if 2800fps is safe in an 18" I'm thinking 2500fps might be possible from a 12.5-14.5" barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's a good question.

I like the 12.5 from a toting around standpoint. Even with my 30-cal can the length isn't too bad. Would an additional two inches be a deal killer?

I've seen a couple recent threads on the MDWS forums with guys getting 2800fps from 18" barrels using Shooter's World Blackout powder. I haven't used this powder yet but, if 2800fps is safe in an 18" I'm thinking 2500fps might be possible from a 12.5-14.5" barrel.

I guess the real question is what barrel length do you achieve complete powder burn. I have a 9.5” 300 blk sbr but didn’t know if going to the 277 would offer and real world boost in down range energy especially out of the 12.5.

The way I see it is if I have to go to 14.5” then the extra 1.5” doesn’t matter because of the paper work hassle. Then if I go with a 16” 277 then I might as well get the 6.8 SPC II since it’s going to be used only for hunting pigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    I guess the real question is what barrel length do you achieve complete powder burn.
    I don't really know. It would seem to me that the 300BLK, using faster magnum pistol powders, would make better use of shorter barrels.

I only have this one 277WLV upper so I don't have any first hand experience with shorter or longer barrels. But, from what I've seen on various forums, the 277 trails the 6.8 by 150-200fps across the various compared lengths.

Is the loss in velocity worth the advantage of using standard (full capacity) AR mags and bolt parts? With the right bullet I think it probably is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another bullet another gel test.

This is Sierra's 90gr varmint hollow point loaded with Hodgdon CFE BLK. Average is right about 2,350fps from my 12.5" barrel.

I fired two bullets. One into bare gel and one through FBI clothing. The bare gel penetrated 17" and had a retained weight of 56.9gr. The bullet fired through clothing penetrated 16" and retained 53.4gr of its weight.

In both cases the bullet started to expand at about 2" into the block and caused the most damage about 4.5" in. The "wound" cavity continued to about 7" then the bullets settled down and continued on into the gel. Both cavities are about 2" wide at the wisest point.

The bullet fired into bar gel had a maximum diameter of nearly .52" while the bullet through clothing came out at just under half an inch.

This bullet appears to do better than the Speer TNT. At least in this limited test. Penetration was slightly less but retained mass and expansion was pretty consistent. The Speer was much more violent with complete jacket and lead separation. The Sierra stayed together better and had a bit higher retained mass.

Please forgive the lousy picture of the gel block. The block has been used quite a bit and is starting to get pretty dirty. It'll probably have to be replaced soon.

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-22-17 at 08:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another view of the Varminter bullets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Browsing through a reloading magazine in the periodicals aisle at Wal-Mart and noticed this. I wonder how the 115gr Gold Dot might work in the Wolverine.

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-04-17 at 04:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another little update:

MDWS has added Hornady brass as a pre-order item on their website. It says brass should be available in April.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast