Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Full Auto Meltdown: Nitrided Barrel (final update on page 8)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AR-15 Full Auto Meltdown: Nitrided Barrel (final update on page 8)

Time for the nitrided barrel to be tested following the chrome lined test of last week.

An identical melonite barrel was also tested under the same conditions (stay tuned) which include:

-medium heavy profile Faxon barrel
    -barrel is mil spec in terms of material (4150CMV/MP/HP/CL/stress relieved/ect)
    -it was approximately 80 degrees at the time of the test
    -55gr brass cased 223 ammo used

Upper:
    -Geissele Mk4 rail, A2 flash hider, Faxon BCG, Geissele CH, Holosun 503G with ACSS reticle in Geissele mount, Aero Precision upper, lubricated with ALG Go-Juice, Super 42 system (with added extra tungsten buffer after the first test)

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; 06-01-17 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Now, for those saying the barrel itself is over-gassed; this is the exact same upper on a BCM Mk12 lower so you guys can compare ejection patterns under normal firing conditions:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Two observations:
    a) I think a Vltor A5 system with Vltor H3 might've helped keep it running smoother longer. it would be interesting to see in a future video if the owner agreed to let you mod his lower.
    b) That was a lot of work. You did an excellent job keeping it going given the circumstances.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Faxon nitride treatment is crap . I have cut one of there barrels in half and it has Barley any penetration at all that's why it's turning white. My other nitride barrels that have 8 to 10 thousands of penetration don't turn white. There an over hyped mass production middle of the road barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotuinmysights View Post
    Faxon nitride treatment is crap . I have cut one of there barrels in half and it has Barley any penetration at all that's why it's turning white. My other nitride barrels that have 8 to 10 thousands of penetration don't turn white. There an over hyped mass production middle of the road barrel.
    I'm not taking any sides here, I just think if you're going to make a statement like that, you should provide proof.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I appreciate you doing this test and look forward to the summary and discussion video.

Feedback Score
    Nice job! I'm in for the ensuing discussion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And how many full auto rounds have YOU fired thru them? And its "barely"...not "Barley". Barley is a grain. Kinda adds to me not believing a damn thing you say. Nothin personal.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Post number 9.

You'll have fun around here.

Nonetheless, Mr. GNG, gotta give a big thank you once more.

Anything that involves the scientific method and guns, I support for sure.

You showed us a good comparison, sorry for the jams though that had to get old fast.

But, hey, got that workout and sauna in all at once.

Thanks again for your contributions, overall the bore cam shows that faxon holds its sturdiness in the rifling and gas port at the least.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    8-10 thou penetration.... You are showing your ignorance. Nitride treatment doesn't penetrate a surface. It transforms a given surface into something harder. I'll wait for Nathan to respond but in the meantime I'll bet the conversion depth is way less than a mil.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast