Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Full Auto Meltdown: Nitrided Barrel (final update on page 8)

Feedback Score
    I was also a bit concerned by the hiccups early on.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Didn't Nathan of Faxon do a Q&A regarding the differences of Nitride vs CL over at Inrange TV. I recall him saying for the overwhelming majority of shooters the Nitride process gives the most bang for your buck. It excels in almost everything except in continuous full auto fire. I believe he also said full auto mag dumps fired in quick succession is something that CL will always be the better choice.

I wonder if anyone or even perhaps MrGnG can explain the malfunctions early in the test.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotuinmysights View Post
    Faxon nitride treatment is crap . I have cut one of there barrels in half and it has Barley any penetration at all that's why it's turning white. My other nitride barrels that have 8 to 10 thousands of penetration don't turn white. There an over hyped mass production middle of the road barrel.
    Post number 9.

You'll have fun around here.

Nonetheless, Mr. GNG, gotta give a big thank you once more.

Anything that involves the scientific method and guns, I support for sure.

You showed us a good comparison, sorry for the jams though that had to get old fast.

But, hey, got that workout and sauna in all at once.

Thanks again for your contributions, overall the bore cam shows that faxon holds its sturdiness in the rifling and gas port at the least.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocalsocal View Post
    Didn't Nathan of Faxon do a Q&A regarding the differences of Nitride vs CL over at Inrange TV. I recall him saying for the overwhelming majority of shooters the Nitride process gives the most bang for your buck. It excels in almost everything except in continuous full auto fire. I believe he also said full auto mag dumps fired in quick succession is something that CL will always be the better choice.

I wonder if anyone or even perhaps MrGnG can explain the malfunctions early in the test.
    Do you mean the double feeds?

The system got hot, ran faster, and the carrier can trap a casing; not enough dwell time. Heavier buffer weight would have helped, but who knows if that was the only cause.

I just don't got enough know how for that.

Eta: to your point, I have a Voodoo nitrided and a couple CL. As much as I love my CL, my Voodoo has been more accurate at times. But, I also don't have a krieger, so, YMMV.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-19-17 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    Great video. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to positive informative discussion in follow up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that it was mostly SBRs, specifically suppressed SBRs, that would have cyclic issues and often outrun the magazine when shooting FA without an adjustable gas block. I was surprised to see that happening with a 16" Middy running a H2 buffer, and .223 pressure ammo nonetheless. Interesting. Thing had to be running 900-1000 RPM to outrun those magazines.

Feedback Score
    So it was firing .223 instead of 556? Maybe that's the reason for all those malfunction. Not enough oomph to cycle reliably with an H2 buffer?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Account View Post
    So it was firing .223 instead of 556? Maybe that's the reason for all those malfunction. Not enough oomph to cycle reliably with an H2 buffer?
    No its the opposite, the cyclic rate was too high. Id be looking at the spring and buffer combo then how large the gas port is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nitrided 25mm and 30mm automatic cannon barrels burn out faster than chrome-lined. Ref (from one of those crazy things called, "A book":

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Nitrided 25mm and 30mm automatic cannon barrels burn out faster than chrome-lined. Ref (from one of those crazy things called, "A book":
    While the CL and nitride barrels in the videos went approximately the same number of rounds I still see CL as more desirable than nitriding. Unfortunately more and more manufacturers are going to it because it's CHEAPER.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast