Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep = Junk

Feedback Score

Jeep = Junk

This is the second one now that has left me stranded needing a tow out of the blue.

In 2009 I bought a Jeep Patriot. I chose it over any other vehicle (example: Ford Escape) because it was several thousand dollars cheaper than the next four wheel drive SUV above it.

Within 3000 miles, the safety interlock failed and locked up the ignition, transmission, and even the ability to remove the key from the ignition. I was left stranded on a Sunday afternoon and had to have it towed to the dealership on Monday. It was only then that I discovered an entire chapter in the manual on what to do if the safety interlock fails.

So I got it fixed and it was pretty much trouble-free when I got rid of it in 2016. I hadn't planned to get another Jeep Patriot, but I got such a low quote on a new one through AAA that I decided to check it out. I asked the dealer if Chrysler fixed the safety interlock problem, and they said that Chrysler had. They pointed out the manual no longer has a chapter on it. They thought the problem was only for certain model years, and since my trade-in was over seven years old I believed them.

So this past weekend my 2016 Patriot locked up on me and I had to have it towed. This time the security system's module failed, so I couldn't start it at all.

This is the last straw with me and the Jeep brand. Probably the Chyrsler brand, too.

I feel like a sucker for ever taking a chance on a second Jeep Patriot, but Triple A got me such a good deal and I thought surely after seven years they've improved them that I went for it.

No more Jeeps for me. I just want to tell the world that if you buy a Jeep it WILL eventually leave you stranded.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Patriot = not really a "Jeep"...except for the plastic letters on the outside.

Feedback Score
    The ergonomics on my 2000&2003 GJC were awesome. Two rocker switches on the back of the steering wheel to control pretty much all the radio functions. Genius.

The Heating system flapper gate that will eventually fail in all Jeeps and means the whole dashboard needs to be pulled for a big buck repair. That wasn't much fun.

It was pretty much impossible to get stuck in snow though.

Ergonomic and 4WD, awesome. Engineering past that, not so much.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Patriot = not really a "Jeep"...except for the plastic letters on the outside.
    I'd have to disagree there. Maybe it's not "trail-rated", but the four-wheel drive has gotten me out of some pretty hairy situations, like an axle-deep flooded road and having to traverse rocky terrain to bypass the rest of it. The four-wheel drive is actually better than a friend's Honda Ridgeline, believe it or not.

But I digress. Any vehicle that leaves me stranded can't be trusted. As soon as it's paid off it's gone.

Feedback Score
    Yep, mine stranded me too. Drive line sensor fail? About 10 years ago so I forget. Had done a 12,000 mountain pass with the fam the weekend before. Come out from lunch and ---- nothin. Did keep that one much longer.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jeep as a brand has not had good quality or reliability ratings for decades. It is an iconic nameplate that brings the corporate owners (research for yourself how many ownership changes there have been) mucho profit but they haven't as a whole made a quality reliable product for a very long time. That said, I'd build up a Rubicon for myself or even take a trailhawk.

Honda and fwd? Just no. It is pretend fwd.

Feedback Score
    The only current jeeps worth having are the Wrangler Rubicons. Even then, only for the trade in value a few years later when you get sick of it.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Jeep as a brand has not had good quality or reliability ratings for decades. It is an iconic nameplate that brings the corporate owners (research for yourself how many ownership changes there have been) mucho profit but they haven't as a whole made a quality reliable product for a very long time. That said, I'd build up a Rubicon for myself or even take a trailhawk.

Honda and fwd? Just no. It is pretend fwd.
    I concur on the Honda 4Wd. I've seen first hand it's an illusion.

I was attracted to the Jeep brand because my mom and dad had two Jeep Wagoneers that they drove until the things literally started falling apart. I think the last time I drove my dad's Jeep Wagoneer the glass from the gear indicator fell out!

I was unaware until my own experiences that they had fallen that far down. I remember researching my 2008 Patriot and it had a fair-to-middlin' reliability rating IIRC. Guess I should have taken that as a negative rather than a positive. There were so many other vehicles that did worse and not a lot that rated significantly higher that I thought I was pretty safe with a Jeep. Wrong.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I see Jeeps I like the look of but after my first (and last) ownership experience with Chrysler, I will now never own a Jeep. Damn shame that these companies just flat out refuse to make a quality product and when you want some answers of God forbid warranty support, nobuddy no's nuttin' or, "Oh, they're all that way".

So nothing more from that company. The next brand might not treat me any better but at least Chrysler won't have my money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    The only current jeeps worth having are the Wrangler Rubicons. Even then, only for the trade in value a few years later when you get sick of it.
    This. Those Rubicons are pretty nice. I almost bought one, but snagged a Ford Raptor instead.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast