Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ONCE IN A LIFETIME SPLURGE: ONE SCOPE TO DO IT ALL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

ONCE IN A LIFETIME SPLURGE: ONE SCOPE TO DO IT ALL.

Gents-
    In about 1-2 months, Im gonna be financially able to splurge on some optics Ive been needing for awhile. Riflescope, spotting scope, laser rangefinder.
    This will be a one time, "once in a lifetime" splurge.
    NO WAY I can see/hold/test all the choices out there. I have already been researching for weeks now, hard.
    Ive seen every video..every review..asked many people's opinions, ect. And I now feel Im ready to come here for what I know is the most expert advice.
    As for the spotting scope & rangefinder..thatll be another thread at another time.
    So- I need advice on glass that you personally have experience with. Scopes that YOU have vetted.
    Here are the uses & requirements I need to have, in order of importance:

REQUIREMENTS:
    1. 100% rugged, reliable, durable & long lasting. I HATE too use this analogy-but I need Walking Dead reliability, where there is no hope of repair or replace.
    2. Variable power, of course. Up to 8x.
    3. As UNBUSY a reticle as possible. A 5.56 BDC type preferred- not mandatory.
    4.Weight NOT a factor-within great reason.
    5. Prefer no battery- but if so, a reasonably long battery life.
    6. EXCELLENT Warranty.
    7. NOT MADE IN CHINA, PERIOD.
    8. Prefer price to INCLUDE mounts- and prefer QD mounts.

USES:
    1. Self Defense/SHTF
    2. Ammo & Group testing out to 300 yards/meters.
    3. Hunting...coyotes/deer/varmints/pigs/goblins.
    4. Informal Competition.
    5. General Range practice.

My budget will be about $1100..maybe a $100 more if need be. Now, this doesn't mean I WANT to spend all of that, but if it takes it to come as close as possible to my needs, itll be ok. The other stuff can wait for sure. The scope is priority one now.
    Looking to buy either around the Memorial Day sales..and could wait for 4JULY sales if need be.
    So, Ive tried to include all info needed, as I dislike people who ask questions and do not give adequate info to be answered.
    Hit me up- eager to see yalls input.

UPDATE: Here is a shortlist of what Im liking or leaning towards at the moment, until/unless told otherwise:
    1. Burris XTR 25.56 1-5x24 with PEPR mount and an added red dot {I forget which one}.
    2.Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20
    3.Burris Fullfield TAC30 1-4x20
    4.Stiener P4xi
    5. A couple from Vortex...cant find my damned list right now..
    6. Trijicon 1-8
    The first Burris I listed is one Im gonna try to find somewhere to handle and check out.
    There is a Bushnell or two on my list also, when I can find it.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 04-19-17 at 22:34.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    With all the searching, have you narrowed it down at all? You might have more pointed input if you narrow it a bit

And just to add to the discussion, I'm really liking the looks of the Trijicon Accupower 1-8x. It seems like it would check a lot of the boxes you listed. (It's new, so user reports are few)
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-19-17 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    With all the searching, have you narrowed it down at all? You might have more pointed input if you narrow it a bit

And just to add to the discussion, I'm really liking the looks of the Trijicon Accupower 1-8x. It seems like it would check a lot of the boxes you listed. (It's new, so user reports are few)
    That was the first optic that came to mind in that price range. I would also like to see a "short list" of a better idea of what you had in mind. The requirements and the price range are going to be tough..
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Trijicon and Primary Arms Platinum 1-8X fit in that price point have hit most of the requirements. Good luck with your purchase.

Feedback Score
    A max of $1200 including a good mount is going to make it a little tough. Have you looked at the Steiner p4xi? That and a Larue mount would be comfortably in your budget. It's daylight bright and seems to have pretty good reviews.
    "There is no nice way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards; our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us. The work we're too afraid, too unskilled, or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, out of our cars, out of our houses, and out of our faces. We just don't want to see how its done."
    -Charles H. Webb, Ph.D.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could almost do a Nightforce NXS 1-4 with that budget. It's not 8x, but it checks literally every other box.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    A max of $1200 including a good mount is going to make it a little tough. Have you looked at the Steiner p4xi? That and a Larue mount would be comfortably in your budget. It's daylight bright and seems to have pretty good reviews.
    YES. Great reviews..but I know someone who has one and its "all over the place" as he puts it. Would like a tad more magnification than 4x also.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlung87 View Post
    The Trijicon and Primary Arms Platinum 1-8X fit in that price point have hit most of the requirements. Good luck with your purchase.
    Where is the Platinum 1-8 made? I have seen this reviewed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    That was the first optic that came to mind in that price range. I would also like to see a "short list" of a better idea of what you had in mind. The requirements and the price range are going to be tough..
    Putting a shortlist together in the OP. Meant to do that anyway!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    You could almost do a Nightforce NXS 1-4 with that budget. It's not 8x, but it checks literally every other box.
    Thank you-Ill research this one ASAP.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast