Thread: Burris optics

Feedback Score

Burris optics

Anyone with any positive/negative experiences with this brand?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I like Burris for hunting / 22LR rifles. I have a Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 and Droptine 4.5-14x42 on two CZ bolt actions for several years. Clear glass, good construction, hold zeros, decent reticles for that kind of shooting.

I don't have any exp with their XTR II lineup of scopes; nor have I seen enough in the way of reviews out there to spend that kind of coin on one, over putting that money towards NF / Trijicon / Vortex optics.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have several Burris scopes, including two of the XTRII. The company was taken over by Beretta several years ago and there's a major difference between products before and after the takeover. Generally speaking their scopes are good and competitive in their price and intended-use brackets. Beyond that it depends what exactly you're looking at. They also have always had a lifetime warranty but recently made it almost the same as Vortex's "no fault warranty" which is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I have several Burris scopes, including two of the XTRII. The company was taken over by Beretta several years ago and there's a major difference between products before and after the takeover. Generally speaking their scopes are good and competitive in their price and intended-use brackets. Beyond that it depends what exactly you're looking at. They also have always had a lifetime warranty but recently made it almost the same as Vortex's "no fault warranty" which is a good thing.
    Do you have any particulars on the 'almost the same' as Vortex with respect to warranty? I tried both the Fast Fire III and the Venom and like both just waiting on a Memorial Day sale. Leaning towards the Vortex b/c the FOV is a bit wider, but also b/c I already love Vortex.....I read the Burris warranty to be the same, but missed where it differed. Thanks

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The Venom and FF3 are obviously made in the same factory, with differences in specs - the window size being the obvious one. But the battery compartment, the controls, the mounting bracket, etc are the same.

I have used them both and either is acceptable, but I prefer the Venom I have over the FF3s I've used.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    The Venom and FF3 are obviously made in the same factory, with differences in specs - the window size being the obvious one. But the battery compartment, the controls, the mounting bracket, etc are the same.

I have used them both and either is acceptable, but I prefer the Venom I have over the FF3s I've used.
    Yea I have shot both now and the Venom won, but depending on the deal I could use the Burris too. Wondering how those warranties differ....do you know by chance?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    They seem to be the same - my FIL had to return a FF3 due to either a poorly threaded battery compartment or him crossthreading the cap on. I don't know the exact details of the return but he seemed happy with it, as they gave him a NIB model - I think there was a slight delay as they were waiting for a new shipment to arrive, but it was only about 12 days door to door.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's great to hear it mirrors what I've seen with a couple of friends. Both of their glass issues were self-inflicted and Vortex didn't flinch just sent new glass in a week or so. I still don't get how that business model works with true 'no fault'. Either the margins must be astronomical or combined with huge volume....I know they are not in the business of losing money and I'm all for it I'm a capitalist pig everyone has to make money....glad they have that warranty program!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Do you have any particulars on the 'almost the same' as Vortex with respect to warranty? I tried both the Fast Fire III and the Venom and like both just waiting on a Memorial Day sale. Leaning towards the Vortex b/c the FOV is a bit wider, but also b/c I already love Vortex.....I read the Burris warranty to be the same, but missed where it differed. Thanks
    The written warranty statement is essentially the same. However:

1) At least for scopes, the Burris owner manual says that any damage due to improper scope mounting is not covered under warranty. It's unclear if this is a carry-over and superceded by the new warranty or not, but it's a difference vs. Vortex.

2) Vortex has had the same warranty for a long time and has a reputation of honoring it without hassle. Burris, before Beretta's takeover, had a lifetime warranty but didn't have a great reputation for getting things fixed right the first time. Supposedly this has been fixed now and I've read many reports of good warranty service from the new Burris, but it's not the same as having a long, all-positive track record.

With all that said, the cost of Vortex's great warranty has to be made up somewhere, and in optics I've owned I have generally been unimpressed with the value of Vortex products below the Razor level (premium). That's a matter of opinion and this is mine. For example, the Burris XTRII line costs only fractionally more than the Vortex Viper PST scopes, but in my experience is a significant step up in quality and refinement, much closer to the Vortex Razor than the PST.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ah ok thanks for clarifying. I hear you on the perceived quality I'm just a simpleton though. I *think* I've figured out why my friends say my Diamondback is 'so bad' and I on the other hand will use anything as long as it's zeroed in. I'm hunting.....they are looking at paper holes at the range. Don't need crystal precision to hit an 8 pointer's vital zone just a rifle that is zeroed in. I've noticed that with Nikon/Vortex as well there is a huge gap on crystal clear precision from one line to the next. If deer had a 1" vital zone I'd probably be more of a glass connoisseur!
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 05-11-17 at 10:30.