Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing 1-4 for Recce

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help with choosing 1-4 for Recce

I am in need of an optic for my Recce rifle. 16 inch BCM. I originally had it setup like a SPR type rifle with a 2.5-10 but I decided I wanted it to be more of a DMR than a true precision rig. Im wanting a optic for 0-500 yards on man sized steel targets. Im not looking for something to shoot the tightest groups with.

My main players Im looking at are the Trijicon TR24 Accupoint and the Trijicon Accupower. Im having a hard time deciding.

Ive used the Accupoint before and I am a big fan of the simplicity and durability of the tritium and fiber optic combo. I would be buying the the triangle reticle and have never shot it at ranges past 200 yards. To me it seems the Accupower reticles would be much better for longer range shots. Im looking at the segmented circle with the BDC reticle. Overall for a precision aspect it seems like the Accupower is better choice, but would give up the simplicity I really like of the TR24. What do you guys think? Am I over thinking the simplicity aspect and should just go with the better reticle? How does the triangle do at 300 to 500 yards at hitting steel?

I know there are other options out there in the same sub 800 dollar range (le/mil pricing for the Trijicons) but Ive never really used them. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 05-07-17 at 18:00.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I can't speak for the Accupoint but I do own an Accupower.
    Trijicon's reticle diagram for the segmented circle BDC shows the center dot size being 3/4 MOA which is a little large for precision shooting. It seems great for closer range shooting though.

There's a review on here if you can find it for the mil square version. The reviewer didn't like it and I agree it isn't a good option.

I chose the MOA crosshair version because it addresses the issues I have with the other two reticles. It has fairly fast acquisition yet the crosshairs are 1/3 MOA at the center which is fairly precise for a 1-4x optic IMO.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I just ordered the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x w/ red segmented circle. I played the research game for a long time and ultimately decided on the Accupower due to its clarity and true 1x. I saw some pictures of it on IDPA targets in direct sunlight and while not "bright", you could still tell it was red and the illumination was on. The .75 moa dot at 500 yards is just under 4" , however I wasn't worried about that aspect because I'd be using the stadia lines/hold over on the BDC for distance shots.

Regardless, if you order from DSG Arms with mil/leo discount it's a GREAT price. Mine will be here tomorrow I'll post some pics and an initial review.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I just ordered the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x w/ red segmented circle. I played the research game for a long time and ultimately decided on the Accupower due to its clarity and true 1x. I saw some pictures of it on IDPA targets in direct sunlight and while not "bright", you could still tell it was red and the illumination was on. The .75 moa dot at 500 yards is just under 4" , however I wasn't worried about that aspect because I'd be using the stadia lines/hold over on the BDC for distance shots.

Regardless, if you order from DSG Arms with mil/leo discount it's a GREAT price. Mine will be here tomorrow I'll post some pics and an initial review.
    I have the same exact model and like it a lot. 1x is clear, huge eyebox, reticle never gets lost even without being turned on. Not too heavy either.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I ended up with an vxr patrol, but of those 2, I'd go with the accupower. Out to 300, the accupoint would probably be good, but past that I'd want a reference point. I'm sure people use the accupoint further, but I think the reticle would start to help past 300.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Accupower, of those options. Are you going to be satisfied with slightly less precision at 300-500 yards than your nxs gave you? I'd find it hard to step "backwards" in that way, though I do understand your reasoning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 2.5-10 was a Vortex. Id have a really hard time giving up a 2.5-10 NXS.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I was seriously considering a an Accupower for my Recce 14, but I ended up going with the Steiner P4Xi. Decent glass with a single daylight bright center dot plus a simple BDC reticle. The P4Xi works extremely for me. Might be something to consider. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    I was seriously considering a an Accupower for my Recce 14, but I ended up going with the Steiner P4Xi. Decent glass with a single daylight bright center dot plus a simple BDC reticle. The P4Xi works extremely for me. Might be something to consider. YMMV.
    I second the P4XI. I have one on my DD RECCE build and I am very impressed with it. The glass is the best of any mid-priced optic I have used.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't say enough good things about my Nightforce NXS 1-4. It's pretty dope at everything it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast