Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ONCE IN A LIFETIME SPLURGE: ONE SCOPE TO DO IT ALL.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Where is the Platinum 1-8 made? I have seen this reviewed.
    According to one source who sells optics (I forget the screen name) the Trijicon and the Primary Arms 1-8x are both the same scope made in the same factory in Japan
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Op, of all the scopes you listed the Trijicon 1-8 is the only one I would consider. I have never laid hands on it, but it will be my next scope purchase.

You did not list it, but I own a couple Leupold VX6 1-6 scopes. I picked one up from Sanchez for 799$, typical they are more around 1000$. I would strongly suggest that scope as well.

Do not buy a vxr 1.x-4. I own one and for the money the glass is nice, but non actual 1x totally sucks. It is definitely not a 'one scope to own'

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Do not buy a vxr 1.x-4. I own one and for the money the glass is nice, but non actual 1x totally sucks. It is definitely not a 'one scope to own'
    I run a VXR Patrol on my carbine, which I attempted to keep as light as possible without any serious sacrifice in performance. The 1.25X doesn't bother me and considering all it offers at under 12 ounces, I can live with the few "unchecked boxes." IMO, its features/quality/performance-to-weight ratio remains unmatched regardless of how much more you spend.

The Trijicon 1-8 is undoubtedly a superior scope but at 25 ounces it's a non-starter for me on this rifle. That said, I think the Trijicon would be an excellent choice for a heavier SPR type set up.

My 16" mid length carbine below weighs 7.5 lbs. sans the WML;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Steiner P4XI, Vortex PST 1-6, or Vortex Razor 1-6.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Great scope options that fit into your budget are the trijicon Acog, Trijicon Accupower/Accupoint 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, PA Platinum 1-8, nightforce NXS 1-4, steiner t series 1-5, vortex razor 1-6. All of those scopes are reliable, rugged, mil or bdc reticles, around $1200 or less, have excellent glass, and just flat out work well.

Feedback Score
    Take a look see at this Leupold https://www.leupold.com/tactical/sco...5-4x20mm-30mm/

They also have in 3-9X

Not everything you're asking for but from retail, but US made, great quality reputation, forever warranty. Goes on sale for $600ish.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    I run a VXR Patrol on my carbine, which I attempted to keep as light as possible without any serious sacrifice in performance. The 1.25X doesn't bother me and considering all it offers at under 12 ounces, I can live with the few "unchecked boxes." IMO, its features/quality/performance-to-weight ratio remains unmatched regardless of how much more you spend.
    These are all the reasons I bought one. But personally wouldn't want to be my only scope, I bought it for a light weight build. The VX6 is a whole other world of awesome. Around 14 oz I believe and at 1x it's almost a RDS, and it goes to 6x. I also only paid 300$ more for it than my VXR.

Owning both I'd keep the vx6 if I had to choose. If I could only buy one I think it's well worth saving a little longer for the vx6.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    According to one source who sells optics (I forget the screen name) the Trijicon and the Primary Arms 1-8x are both the same scope made in the same factory in Japan
    That's interesting.

Does the thing about "not all FN-sourced barrels are the same" apply to optics as well?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    That's interesting.
    Does the thing about "not all FN-sourced barrels are the same" apply to optics as well?
    Light Optic Works Japan (LOW) makes scopes ranging from very high end to very modest, so simply because it came from LOW doesn't guarantee top quality. They don't make total junk though - neither does FN. But a Nightforce made at LOW can be expected to have tighter requirements and quality control than, say, a Weaver made at LOW.

With that said, LOW is a contract manufacturer, and if two similar scopes made there seem to have identical specifications in all ways besides name, it's possible that they actually are the same scope internally. Not a certainty, but possible.

More than half the scopes I own or have owned were made at LOW, and with none of them being junk, I can definitely see the quality range from really good (Nightforce NXS, EOTech Vudu) to 99.9% as good (Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR and LRHS, Vortex Razor) to pretty good (Weaver Tactical) to, uh, OK (other Weaver).
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 04-20-17 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    OP: I would research the Trijicon and PA 1-8x options heavily and see if they look good. If not, I would get a Vortex Razor 1-6x, which ticks all your boxes other than 8x magnification. The 1-6x Razor is heavy for my tastes but you said that's not an issue. It has a simple reticle, quality glass, and extreme ruggedness.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast