Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ONCE IN A LIFETIME SPLURGE: ONE SCOPE TO DO IT ALL.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hate to break it to you but a perfect LPV doesn't exist. Ive looked far and wide. From what I've been told a NF 1-6x or 1-8x or a Vortex AMG 1-6x are 2 years out so I'll have to wait.

Feedback Score
    I have a Leupold vx patrol also. Like you, I wanted it to do everything. From 25yds to 300yds or so it's awesome. At 400+ yds the reticle is thick enough to make accurate shots (smaller than just "torso") shots more difficult. At room distance, the "not actually 1x" screws with you. It does not have the forgiveness of a red dot.
    I have a trijicon 1-4 accupower, but haven't had much of a chance to play with it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Hate to break it to you but a perfect LPV doesn't exist.
    This. They are all compromises one way or the other, it's simply a matter of deciding which features/attributes are most important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I have a Leupold vx patrol also. From 25yds to 300yds or so it's awesome.
    That's my assessment as well. In my neck of the woods where the terrain is uneven and heavily wooded with limited sight distance, that is the range I would expect to use my carbine in any defensive/SHTF scenario. Anywhere I stand on my property - even on the road in front of my house - 100 yards is about the longest distance a clear shot could be made.

FWIW, my go-to inside-the-house HD weapon is a G17.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Midway had the Burris for under 500 a couple weeks ago. I have the 1-5 and it is a fine scope. Heavy but does just fine. If you go to dsg's website they have the 1.5-8 for $899 I believe. It is a 34mm tube the 1-5 is 30mm. With an adm mount you will be within budget with the 1.5-8.

https://dsgarms.com/sights-magnified...0&pageNumber=1
    Last edited by Tequila45; 04-20-17 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila45 View Post
    Midway had the Burris for under 500 a couple weeks ago. I have the 1-5 and it is a fine scope. Heavy but does just fine. If you go to dsg's website they have the 1.5-8 for $899 I believe. It is a 34mm tube the 1-5 is 30mm. With an adm mount you will be within budget with the 1.5-8.

Thanks- I saw that...sold out our about to on some already!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila45 View Post

The now-gone Midway price on the 1-5x was unbeatable. Right now, best deal on these I know of is at Natchez:

https://www.natchezss.com/1-5x-8x-28mm-illum-mat.html

https://www.natchezss.com/1x-5x-24mmillum-mat.html

I have the 1-5x. I think it is a very good scope for the money, but not a "once in a lifetime splurge." For a "once in a lifetime splurge" I would go with Nightforce (except they only have 1-4x and 2.5-10x right now in the lower magnification range), a Vortex Razor, or some high-end European scope.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    The now-gone Midway price on the 1-5x was unbeatable. Right now, best deal on these I know of is at Natchez:

https://www.natchezss.com/1-5x-8x-28mm-illum-mat.html

https://www.natchezss.com/1x-5x-24mmillum-mat.html

I have the 1-5x. I think it is a very good scope for the money, but not a "once in a lifetime splurge." For a "once in a lifetime splurge" I would go with Nightforce (except they only have 1-4x and 2.5-10x right now in the lower magnification range), a Vortex Razor, or some high-end European scope.
    Yes, agreed on the night force.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    According to one source who sells optics (I forget the screen name) the Trijicon and the Primary Arms 1-8x are both the same scope made in the same factory in Japan
    I want to update information to my earlier post and make a correction. The source is a rep for CS Tactical and he said it was the Trijicon and the Burris 1-8x that were both made in Japan at the same factory
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I want to update information to my earlier post and make a correction. The source is a rep for CS Tactical and he said it was the Trijicon and the Burris 1-8x that were both made in Japan at the same factory
    OK. That and 200 other scopes. Here's a short list of companies that use LOW to make some of their scopes:

-->>Bushnell Elite / Elite Tactical / probably some others
    -->>Weaver, most series (Grand Slam, Super Slam, Super Slam Euro, Tactical, Dangerous Game) (but not the Kaspa junk or other sub-$200 scopes)
    -->>Nightforce NXS and SHV (Note: from what I understand all Nightforce scopes use LOW components and all have some work done in their Idaho facility. Whether the scope is advertised as made in Japan or USA depends on the relative proportion of US work or parts.)
    -->>Vortex Razor series except AMG
    -->>SWFA SS "HD" models (other SS scopes are made in Japan but not at LOW)
    -->>Trijicon Accupoint and Accupower models
    -->>EOTech VuDu conventional scopes (not the 5xx series holographic sight)
    -->>Burris XTRII 1-8x24 only (all other XTRII scopes are made in the Philippines)
    -->>Primary Arms Platinum scope (not any of their others)

etc. I am probably missing several other brands that also use LOW.

Once you handle enough LOW-made scopes you tend to recognize certain finish details that they generally use. Only the Nightforce NXS doesn't really feel like an obviously LOW-made scope, but it's not hard to tell when you know that it is. The Nightforce SHV has the typical LOW finish cues.

Feedback Score
    SWFA's sample list has a few vx6 1-6's under 1k, a Swarovski 1-6 in the $1100 range, and a Khales 1-6 on it. Maybe you can find what you want at a discount. I didn't look at the reticles.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast