Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watchers 308 diet: how much ya weigh?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm almost done with a light weight 308 build, so this topic is very relevant to me.
    I don't have a final weight yet, but expect be finish between 6.5 & 7 pounds without mag or optic. Fully loaded with a Trijicon 1-8/mount and a 20 round pmag I'm trending to 10.5 pounds.
    With a Titanium BCG & Christianson carbon wrapped barrel a sub 6 pound completed rifle is theoretically possible. I don't think I'll spend the $1000 on those 2 upgrades, but you never know...
    hundreds more could be spent to loose a few more grams, but the ROI on that is pretty steep.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    You can do it. It's just the trade off, dollars vs. grams. Then you get to a point where its no longer just dollars vs. grams, but weight vs. reliability. For a hunting rig that trade off might not always be worth it. JMHO. If you want light weight for hunting, buy a light weight hunting bolt gun in 270Win.

You can save a lot of weight in a .308 AR by simply using lower capacity magazines and carrying less ammo.
    While that may be true generally, most hunting scenarios such as deer hunting, will only allow a 5 round mag to begin with. So even if you chamber a round and don't load the mag at all, the only weight saved is that of 4 rounds.

Hog hunting may be different, I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    While that may be true generally, most hunting scenarios such as deer hunting, will only allow a 5 round mag to begin with. So even if you chamber a round and don't load the mag at all, the only weight saved is that of 4 rounds.

Hog hunting may be different, I don't know.

Just depends on where you are.....private land in FL it's as much and any kind of ammo for hogs year around. Carrying less ammo is a non-starter for night hog hunts unless you want to do lots of watching vs shooting. That or be willing to run back to the truck to grab more mags which might be 2 miles away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Just depends on where you are.....private land in FL it's as much and any kind of ammo for hogs year around. Carrying less ammo is a non-starter for night hog hunts unless you want to do lots of watching vs shooting. That or be willing to run back to the truck to grab more mags which might be 2 miles away.

Hog hunting in FL, you forgot to mention:

Mosquitos, almost as bad as AK.

There are 4-6 ditches/canals between you and the truck, which is 2 miles away.

90 degrees is about average. 80 at night.

The good part is that FL has a lot of hogs. Considered varmints, no closed season on pvt. property.

We have rolled up on literally 15 pigs under a feeder, many shoats, but not uncommon for a few to be 250+.

Before someone whines about shooting pigs near a feeder, ask the farmer who looses 5 acres of melons/tomatoes/corn every night what he thinks…

Back to the weight topic, I went from LMT MWS to JP LRP-07, to a KAC ECC, now looking at an ACC, all because of weight.

If you pick up an ACC, you may not want to put it down, 8.4 lbs.

OP, good luck.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yea the skeeters are a little weird right now they have not been out in force yet like they will be once the rains kick in. With the drought and forest fires it does seem to have had some impact on their breeding. This time last year we were already going through Thermacell mats like Rosie O'Donnell through bear claws at a Krispy Kreme 2 for 1.

I have researched this a lot the past week or so and I think bang for buck I will just stick with my setup now. Sinking a chunk into a thermal which should be here in the next several weeks.....can't justify the outlay to shave off more weight....at least right now. Thanks for the input to all I'm jealous of some of the lightweight setups!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Drift View Post
    Hog hunting in FL, you forgot to mention:

Mosquitos, almost as bad as AK.

There are 4-6 ditches/canals between you and the truck, which is 2 miles away.

90 degrees is about average. 80 at night.

The good part is that FL has a lot of hogs. Considered varmints, no closed season on pvt. property.

We have rolled up on literally 15 pigs under a feeder, many shoats, but not uncommon for a few to be 250+.

Before someone whines about shooting pigs near a feeder, ask the farmer who looses 5 acres of melons/tomatoes/corn every night what he thinks…

Yup. The only thing illegal to do with feral hogs in the great state of FL is to capture them and then transport them while they are alive.

24-7-365, bait em, light em, choot'em, spear em - just kill em.

OT, my 308 is a SCAR 17 13" SBR with NF 2.5-10x24 - it's right at 10.5 unloaded but I have some work to do shaving a couple of things off. I've been trimming weight on all my rifles (but not via drastic measures, yet) and I think I can get it to 9.5 pretty easily.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 05-01-17 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yup. The only thing illegal to do with feral hogs in the great state of FL is to capture them and then transport them while they are alive.

24-7-365, bait em, light em, choot'em, spear em - just kill em.

OT, my 308 is a SCAR 17 13" SBR with NF 2.5-10x24 - it's right at 10.5 unloaded but I have some work to do shaving a couple of things off. I've been trimming weight on all my rifles (but not via drastic measures, yet) and I think I can get it to 9.5 pretty easily.
    Absolutely. Turkey Buzzard BBQ and Coyote Cafeteria we keep them both fed well.

That's getting lean at 10.5. I do run it with irons mostly during the day/working in the brush so it's no issue there b/c I'm in and out of a truck/quad/UTV. Hiking though whew every ounce counts!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Did some work getting some extras off and its right a 9.5 #, unloaded and no suppressor.

And it's not all about the weight, but also where it is on the weapon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Did some work getting some extras off and its right a 9.5 #, unloaded and no suppressor.

And it's not all about the weight, but also where it is on the weapon.
    Boy I agree especially since all I do is hunt vs sitting on a bench with bipods/supported. Pulling it up off my chest for a quick offhand shot at a sneaky hog and the balance becomes all important really quickly.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 05-05-17 at 15:28.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Boy I agree especially since all I do is hunt vs sitting on a bench with bipods/supported. Pulling it up off my chest for a quick offhand shot at a sneaky hog and the balance becomes all important really quickly.
    Gentlemen... Thank you... Your discussion has given me reason number 3 for my next build....3 reasons is all I need to justify another rifle.

Project "SBR-308" will utilize a 13.7" barrel. I'm going to stick with most of the components that I used in my DMR since it such a good shooter.
    But this won't see completion probably until November.
    Just wants to say thanks for doing your part.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast