Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watchers 308 diet: how much ya weigh?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Weight Watchers 308 diet: how much ya weigh?

While I'm pleased dare I say thrilled with my current setup I do keep in the back of my head if there are any other weight savings I might receive if I built up a 308AR from scratch. I wouldn't ask for a thing more accuracy wise and use a Ballistic Advantage 18" barrel currently so that is likely where I'd want to stick and probably not any longer with a can coming. I'm open to options though to save a few ounces if need be. Since the 308AR has become my primary hunting platform I like to keep it shorter-ish for deer season b/c it gets cramped in stands/climbers. I don't hang anything off my handguard so I really need a minimalist at most, but enough to accomodate a low-pro adjust gas block. I don't even put a sling on mine I use a tow line in stands and have a rifle holder on my climber(yes unloaded in transit). I think you get the picture...super slimmed down 308AR. I do almost no target shooting so no considerations there obviously with a bipod or anything else. Occasionally we stretch the range out from an adjacent field and play on the gongs, but it's not consternating over 1/2" we throw a blanket over the hood of the truck standing and let it rip at the 10" steel.

I'm betting there are some people here who have gone the extra mile weighing components and going for a slim rig build and I'd be grateful for any of that info if you have it please. My current setup is 7 lb 14 oz w/o any glass/mounts and no mag/ammo so that is probably the easiest way to go apples to apples: no furniture, no glass, no sling etc. Would be fun if I had the ability to build one up from scratch at say 7 lbs. or maybe less, but thinking that might be a tall order. I know this is/would be an exhaustive task and thank in advance for sharing any of your data.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-20-17 at 05:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's pretty dang light already - my Armalite 18" is 8.9lbs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yea I might be wishing for a pipe dream, but you know how it is: "Can I maybe do it better?". I really like this rifle more than anything I've probably ever owned, but it's always hard not to ask if something could maybe be improved.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    https://2a-arms.com/collections/rifl.../xanthos-rifle maybe you can get some ideas from here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude thanks! 6.75 pounds?!!!? I'm inspired....thank you

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    I have the 2a Xanthos set with proof barrel in 6.5CM. It's also 6.75lbs before mag, ammo and optic. I used full mass JP BCG. Great hunting setup.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Weight Watchers 308 diet: how much ya weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Dude thanks! 6.75 pounds?!!!? I'm inspired....thank you
    Freaking crap on my freshly washed windshield! I was all happy because I brought my SPR down from 14.4 to 12.1 (optic) and my DMR came in at 13.6, both with loaded mags.
    But still that's good enough for me. I'm not on a quest. At least that particular quest. But good luck! I have heard that 2A is definitely dialed in to the lightweight scene.

ETA: I couldn't agree more on he BA barrels. I am so impressed with all the barrels I've gotten from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 04-20-17 at 19:29.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Dang, that's light! My 308 build is around 9 lb. But that's with a 20" barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can do it. It's just the trade off, dollars vs. grams. Then you get to a point where its no longer just dollars vs. grams, but weight vs. reliability. For a hunting rig that trade off might not always be worth it. JMHO. If you want light weight for hunting, buy a light weight hunting bolt gun in 270Win.

You can save a lot of weight in a .308 AR by simply using lower capacity magazines and carrying less ammo.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-28-17 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabbergasted View Post
    Dang, that's light! My 308 build is around 9 lb. But that's with a 20" barrel.
    That's not bad at all, but I will tell ya after hiking just under 6 miles on a hog hunt last weekend I'm going to consider a lighter setup. I think it's age catching up or something! It's 96* outside right now and half a pound adds up especially when you head out with a few boxes of .308 in a waist pack to start the night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast