Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USMC's new "Amphibious Combat Vehicle"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    To me this seems like a totally unnecessary waste of taxpayer money. Amphibious invasions aren't really a thing and haven't been in a long, long time.

I get that the Corps is trying to stay relevant but that money could be much better spent on new helicopters (it's the only branch without a Blackhawk variant), more comm gear (squad level comms with electronic ear pro), suppressors, more training ammo, etc. Things that would actually make a difference in combat effectiveness.
    I have been out a bit, when I was in, the standard battalion had a helo company, a waterborne company (boats), and an AAV company. Not sure if this is still the case. I spent time in boats and helo's, I have never, not once, set foot in an AAV. I agree, I don't know if they need this or if it is a want, but my understanding it is isn't about "amphibious assault" so much as a better platform to move in ashore.

I agree there are other things Marines do need that would make them more combat effective.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I have been out a bit, when I was in, the standard battalion had a helo company, a waterborne company (boats), and an AAV company. Not sure if this is still the case. I spent time in boats and helo's, I have never, not once, set foot in an AAV. I agree, I don't know if they need this or if it is a want, but my understanding it is isn't about "amphibious assault" so much as a better platform to move in ashore.

I agree there are other things Marines do need that would make them more combat effective.
    We had a helo company, truck company and track company. I was fortunate enough tobe in the helo company, but the guys I knew in the track company absolutely hated it.

When I say amphibious invasions I don't mean moving from ship to shore. I mean storming a defended beachhead. Sure, maybe some day it'll happen again. Maybe. But everything I listed would be useful regardless of the type of conflict.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    We had a helo company, truck company and track company. I was fortunate enough tobe in the helo company, but the guys I knew in the track company absolutely hated it.

When I say amphibious invasions I don't mean moving from ship to shore. I mean storming a defended beachhead. Sure, maybe some day it'll happen again. Maybe. But everything I listed would be useful regardless of the type of conflict.
    I liked helo's. Boats were cold, and we had to do maintenance on them. I heard the same thing about the tracks' guys.

With the ability to pound the shit out of a defended beachhead with modern technology and the ability to go beyond it with helo's I also don't know if we need new amphibs. APCs that can be delivered via aircraft I understand, but I just can't imagine a scenario of going onto a defended beach.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I liked helo's. Boats were cold, and we had to do maintenance on them. I heard the same thing about the tracks' guys.

With the ability to pound the shit out of a defended beachhead with modern technology and the ability to go beyond it with helo's I also don't know if we need new amphibs. APCs that can be delivered via aircraft I understand, but I just can't imagine a scenario of going onto a defended beach.
    I did all three because I was always part of a detachment to various units. Boats and amphibs both sucked, but at least the amphibs had heaters!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Marine LAV and Army Stryker are both based on the Swiss Mowag Piranha, by way of Canada.

FMTV family of tactical trucks were Steyr (Austrian)
    The IFAV was just a Mercedes Gelandewagen, as well

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by interfan View Post
    The IFAV was just a Mercedes Gelandewagen, as well
    Harrier was British Aerospace

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    My God, what will tracks scream now? YAW YAS? W=Wheels...

Feedback Score
    I noticed that it'll will only carry 11 troops/marines. Isn't a marine squad 3 four man fire teams plus a squad leader (13)? My math says if we're going to spend money building/buying a new Amphibious Combat Vehicle it should carry 13 marines not two short at 11.

Just my $.03, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    My God, what will tracks scream now? YAW YAS? W=Wheels...
    Probably. Those clowns love to scream that shit.

I guess they have amuse themselves yelling something, because tracks suck. During my time in I was always attached to the track company when the 0351's in Weapons Co. got attached to the line companies. Hated it every time I was in one of the damn things.

I was told by a retired USMC tanker who also recruited that the guys who optioned for armor/tracks would get orders to the AAV7's if they could swim worth a shit in boot camp. So if you wanted the Abrams... just pass the bare minimum swim qual and your chances of getting orders cut to go that route improved dramatically. He also mentioned ASVAB scores needed to be higher to avoid the AAV7's and go tanks instead.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Those clowns love to scream that shit.
    I went to field med on Del Mar, it took me a few weeks to understand what they hell they were yelling.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast