G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: .308 rounds and ballistics

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0

    .308 rounds and ballistics

    Reaching out for opinions on what's the favorite .308 (manufactured) loads and ballistics if able..

    I've heard most seem to prefer 168gr boat tails and I'm not worried about spending money on good loads but I've built a solid, more "high end" gun and I don't want to keep wasting money guessing which will work the best.

    Obviously I know there's a ton of factors that play in to accuracy (gun quality, part compatibility, human error, barrel length, etc) so I'm coming into this with eyes open just simply am interested in anyone's opinion and why..

    So far I've found my set up likes the Hornady 155gr BTHP's (3 rounds within 1" @ 150yds; two through the same hole) but I'd like like to try other similar rounds preferably BTHP's

    Thanks in advance for any replies!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    52
    Feedback Score
    0
    I use 175gr HPBT with my bolt gun which has 20 inch barrel.

    I load to mimic the Army 118LR round. I have all the ballistic data for that load, and it gets the job done.

    I can hit out to 1000 yards although first round hits are debatable.

    I feel pretty competent out to about 700 yards. Past 700, everything starts to really matter. Wind is always the beast to be reckoned with.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
    I use 175gr HPBT with my bolt gun which has 20 inch barrel.

    I load to mimic the Army 118LR round. I have all the ballistic data for that load, and it gets the job done.

    I can hit out to 1000 yards although first round hits are debatable.

    I feel pretty competent out to about 700 yards. Past 700, everything starts to really matter. Wind is always the beast to be reckoned with.
    Absolutely at that range everything comes into effect including the cow that farted 300yds away hahaha. With this gun and the application I'm using it for I'll rarely be shooting 250+. The majority of my shots will be between 100-200yds and probably at a second pig running for my second and third shots haha. Thanks for the reply though!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    52
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brynjanca View Post
    Absolutely at that range everything comes into effect including the cow that farted 300yds away hahaha. With this gun and the application I'm using it for I'll rarely be shooting 250+. The majority of my shots will be between 100-200yds and probably at a second pig running for my second and third shots haha. Thanks for the reply though!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe the most important issue for you is terminal performance, ie "pig killin ability".

    I have never been pig hunting but it sure looks like fun. How do wild pigs taste?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
    Maybe the most important issue for you is terminal performance, ie "pig killin ability".

    I have never been pig hunting but it sure looks like fun. How do wild pigs taste?
    You're spot on sir.. that's why I'm such a fan of these hollow points haha.

    Pig hunting is a blast and it's for a good cause with how destructive they are + how fast they reproduce. To answer your question it depends on the pig.. if you get a young ~80-100lb female they're actually really good, but boars and the bigger the pig of either sex the less tasty they are.



    This one for example was fed to the coyotes and buzzards hahaha!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    130
    Feedback Score
    0
    I run an 18" 308AR for hog patrol now, but yesteryears it was mainly a 24" 308 bolt of some sort. Out of both I've had outstanding success with PMC Bronze 147's....yup FMJ's. The first hog always gets it in the ear, but once they scatter the accuracy obviously goes down yet it doesn't matter with a 308 they are gonna die. I've also run some of that inexpensive Privi from SG Ammo kills just as well. I'm going to send you a link on some other stuff as well. I refuse to waste deer loads on these turds as long as they die that's all I care about. Hogs down = save money. I will say on the few hogs that have pissed me off enough to shoot at blowing up a deer hunt they have all been DRT with Hornady American Whitetail 150's. Makes me sad to think I even wasted a couple of those loads on hogs. Sniff.

    Can you get a face on shot of that pig? It kind of looks like my neighbor it might be kin folk.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-20-17 at 14:14.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,635
    Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    This is a great post and informative for me also. I went to zero my 308 this past weekend with both Federal 175 OTM and 168 MEN (Deutschland ammo) clearly the Federal was consistently a better performing round, but that MEN was easy as 3/4 round on wth one round being a slight wild hair if you get my meaning. I will definitely buy that again. It's brass cased and honestly looks like a very quality round. That will be the ammo I stock up on for sure and train with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word”. J. Steinbeck

    Jake: "That's a really nice rifle you have there." Me: "It's not a rifle. It's a Precision Shooting Instrument ."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    I run an 18" 308AR for hog patrol now, but yesteryears it was mainly a 24" 308 bolt of some sort. Out of both I've had outstanding success with PMC Bronze 147's....yup FMJ's. The first hog always gets it in the ear, but once they scatter the accuracy obviously goes down yet it doesn't matter with a 308 they are gonna die. I've also run some of that inexpensive Privi from SG Ammo kills just as well. I'm going to send you a link on some other stuff as well. I refuse to waste deer loads on these turds as long as they die that's all I care about. Hogs down = save money. I will say on the few hogs that have pissed me off enough to shoot at blowing up a deer hunt they have all been DRT with Hornady American Whitetail 150's. Makes me sad to think I even wasted a couple of those loads on hogs. Sniff.

    Can you get a face on shot of that pig? It kind of looks like my neighbor it might be kin folk.


    That's the best I can do but I've seen a few folks resemble that pig before haha



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    130
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's a fine pig right there. Much too good looking to be related to my neighbor.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    130
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This is a great post and informative for me also. I went to zero my 308 this past weekend with both Federal 175 OTM and 168 MEN (Deutschland ammo) clearly the Federal was consistently a better performing round, but that MEN was easy as 3/4 round on wth one round being a slight wild hair if you get my meaning. I will definitely buy that again. It's brass cased and honestly looks like a very quality round. That will be the ammo I stock up on for sure and train with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea the BA is a first for me, but I have no reason to look elsewhere next time it's more than I need. Heck I will take a 2moa gun into the woods that will kill everything I look at my hunting ranges. This rifle has now given me 3 different ammo choices that will deliver 1" or better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •