Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 rounds and ballistics

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    I run an 18" 308AR for hog patrol now, but yesteryears it was mainly a 24" 308 bolt of some sort. Out of both I've had outstanding success with PMC Bronze 147's....yup FMJ's. The first hog always gets it in the ear, but once they scatter the accuracy obviously goes down yet it doesn't matter with a 308 they are gonna die. I've also run some of that inexpensive Privi from SG Ammo kills just as well. I'm going to send you a link on some other stuff as well. I refuse to waste deer loads on these turds as long as they die that's all I care about. Hogs down = save money. I will say on the few hogs that have pissed me off enough to shoot at blowing up a deer hunt they have all been DRT with Hornady American Whitetail 150's. Makes me sad to think I even wasted a couple of those loads on hogs. Sniff.

Can you get a face on shot of that pig? It kind of looks like my neighbor it might be kin folk.
    Part of me agrees, and part of me does not. I think a quick and human kill on a hog is ethically right. The pig did not choose to be set free and go feral, and the pig is doing what it does with no malice in its heart. It does not intend to be a problem, or to cause harm, it is an animal, doing as animals do. I feel that it is my responsibility to take a life such as that of an animal such as this with as much an eye toward minimal suffering as I would a trophy buck, or any other "more desirable".

Just my .02, YMMV, your conscience dictates to you, not I.

The MK319 is very effective on them from what I hear from some friends of mine who went on a recent hog hunt. Explosive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reload boys, reload ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Part of me agrees, and part of me does not. I think a quick and human kill on a hog is ethically right. The pig did not choose to be set free and go feral, and the pig is doing what it does with no malice in its heart. It does not intend to be a problem, or to cause harm, it is an animal, doing as animals do. I feel that it is my responsibility to take a life such as that of an animal such as this with as much an eye toward minimal suffering as I would a trophy buck, or any other "more desirable".

Just my .02, YMMV, your conscience dictates to you, not I.

The MK319 is very effective on them from what I hear from some friends of mine who went on a recent hog hunt. Explosive.
    I certainly respect your decision to hunt how you feel appropriate. Enjoy your hunting and be safe out there.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My all around hunting rounds are either Nosler 165gr or 150gr Accubonds. I was lucky and able to get almost a 1000 rounds of each before Silver State Armory was bought out by Nosler. Now i can't find that ammo anywhere what I paid for it then. Nosler is pretty proud of it and it's too expensive right now. They both are very accurate out of my LMT MWS. The Hornady 150gr Whitetail hunters are hard to be for the cost.

Feedback Score
    I've been thinking about the subject of this post a lot lately. The one thing I'd like to hear other's thoughts on is this: barrel length vs. velocity vs. bullet type.
    Though I am shooting .308 FALs rather than an AR 10 variant, I am getting about 2550 fps for a 150 gr bullet from a 16" barrel, and about 2660 for a 150 gr bullet from a 20" barrel. I would assume velocities from AR 10s is about the same.
    At those velocities, particularly the 16", bullet construction as it relates to expanding & penetration is a consideration. At those velocities, hydro-static and hydraulic shock are less sure and highly bullet dependent.
    I have been using 150 gr Nosler Accubond and their expansion threshold is listed by Nosler down to 1800 fps, though for good measure I consider my acceptable threshold more at 2000 fps (Ballistic tip is same range). That translates to a range of about 300 yards. Practically, I don't expect much work at that range.
    I have looked at 125 gr bullet ballistics to to pick up some velocity, but these lighter bullets shed velocity faster than 150 gr such it is about a tie at 300 yards, though 125 gr may be better up to 200 yards with higher velocity and therefore expansion & shock. For now, I will probably stick with 150s.
    My reading also indicated the Hornady 155 AMAX would be good on lighter deer and by extension antipersonnel.
    What are some other folks thoughts and experiences in this regard?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    This is a great post and informative for me also. I went to zero my 308 this past weekend with both Federal 175 OTM and 168 MEN (Deutschland ammo) clearly the Federal was consistently a better performing round, but that MEN was easy as 3/4 round on wth one round being a slight wild hair if you get my meaning. I will definitely buy that again. It's brass cased and honestly looks like a very quality round. That will be the ammo I stock up on for sure and train with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robert - Where did you find the 168gr MEN ammo? I've only been able to find the 147gr FMJ MEN. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_f View Post
    Robert - Where did you find the 168gr MEN ammo? I've only been able to find the 147gr FMJ MEN. Thanks.
    Mike, I stand corrected, it is 147gr. My apologies. I had 3 different rounds out at the range and unfortunately got the round weights mixed up. If I do run across it though, I'll shoot you an email or pm.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brynjanca View Post
    Reaching out for opinions on what's the favorite .308 (manufactured) loads and ballistics if able..

I've heard most seem to prefer 168gr boat tails and I'm not worried about spending money on good loads but I've built a solid, more "high end" gun and I don't want to keep wasting money guessing which will work the best.

Obviously I know there's a ton of factors that play in to accuracy (gun quality, part compatibility, human error, barrel length, etc) so I'm coming into this with eyes open just simply am interested in anyone's opinion and why..

So far I've found my set up likes the Hornady 155gr BTHP's (3 rounds within 1" @ 150yds; two through the same hole) but I'd like like to try other similar rounds preferably BTHP's

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Out of my Colt MARC 901 I have found that it likes Hornady A-Max 168's the best. With the Hornady BLACK 168 A-Max I'm getting either 3 in one hole at 100 or a 3 shot group with all of them touching with my Trijicon Accupower 3-9. I've ran Federal GMM 168's and 3 shot groups are around 1 inch, Hornady American Gunner 155 BTHP vary between 1 hole and 1 inch, Hornady Z-Max is the same as the 168 A-Max just different box and color tip but those print 1 ragged hole for me. The cheap ZQI 147gr FMJ turns into like a 3inch group at best. I don't know if my gun just doesn't like 147 but considering the 901 is a 1:12 barrel it shouldn't be that, I honestly just think that ZQI is cheap ammo that only real purpose is for me to shoot and use the brass to reload one day.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My preferred 308 round is the Hornady A-Max 168 grain TAP Precision. The velocity spread on the normal A-Max is 100 FPS within the same box, let alone Lot. The TAP Precision was 25 FPS. Factory loaded ammunition can vary greatly. I shoot the 168 grain in an LMT MWS 18" stainless, Ruger Precision Rifle and Savage 10 FCP-SR with 20 " barrel. All are more accurate than I am.

Feedback Score
    Interesting post

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast