Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset/45 deg sights on scoped rifles?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Offset/45 deg sights on scoped rifles?

Doing a search here on the forum I'm not seeing much in the last couple years about the use of offset sights on AR's, was that a passing fad or does it not get brought up because everyone already uses them?

My DD M4V11 PRO has a scope and no room for traditional popup iron sights so I've been looking at the KAC and Magpul PRO offset sights.

Whats the low down on the offset, good for real world use or gimicky? My rifles are just for range and home defense, so if I get an intruder I'd like something other than a scope to start clearing rooms in my house.

If their GTG i'm leaning towards the KAC brand, they look more solid for the price.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    I think you’ve answered your own question, which is a need unique to your set up, since you’re out of space for pop-ups. I don’t have the angled set ups, but would get those if in your boat. I think it’s a question of really practicing with them to make workable/natural, but not a gimmick in & of itself. Solves a problem. Ideally you’d have a dedicated home pro firearm set up specific for that role.

By the way, as my WWII vet Dad taught me to say … “Thank you for your service keeping us unknowingly spoiled and naïve civilians safe from evil.”
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-20-17 at 13:25.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    I have Dueck Defense on my SPR. No need to remove the scope. Just tilt and aim. Love it.

ETA: Since the rear is A2 style, I also did the IBZ mod to get a working 50m zero while retaining the elevation adjustments.
    Last edited by tehpwnag3; 04-20-17 at 14:01.

Feedback Score

Offset/45 deg sights on scoped rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    Doing a search here on the forum I'm not seeing much in the last couple years about the use of offset sights on AR's, was that a passing fad or does it not get brought up because everyone already uses them?

My DD M4V11 PRO has a scope and no room for traditional popup iron sights so I've been looking at the KAC and Magpul PRO offset sights.

Whats the low down on the offset, good for real world use or gimicky? My rifles are just for range and home defense, so if I get an intruder I'd like something other than a scope to start clearing rooms in my house.

If their GTG i'm leaning towards the KAC brand, they look more solid for the price.
    If your need requires "something other than a scope", then I would not have a scope as the primary. I'd go red dot or eotech type. I wouldn't want to "clear rooms" with buis, if they were only on one side of the rifle.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post

I ran a set of Troy offsets on a scoped rifle I was trying to make do everything. For BUIS they are fine but not for clearing rooms. It's just one more thing to think about when you have no time to think. A scope has no place on a weapon that may have to be used indoors.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The MagPuls are working great for me. Light and easy to adjust.

Feedback Score
    I agree that a scoped weapon would probably be the last thing I grab for HD, but here's a primer for folks that may not have seen or used offset irons.

Feedback Score
    Hmm ... had never seen the handguard only backups. Not much sight radius, but looks longer than a Glock 17 radius, so maybe all you need for in home.

Found an example https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...andguard-black
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    A scope has no place on a weapon that may have to be used indoors.
    what's wrong with something like a p4xi 1-4x?

Feedback Score
    IMO, it's an antiquated design. I believe in the video Rob was shooting the JP version which was excellent quality (~$100), but they no longer sell them. Probably for good reason. For anyone interested in offset irons, go with a front/rear two piece setup.

Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Hmm ... had never seen the handguard only backups. Not much sight radius, but looks longer than a Glock 17 radius, so maybe all you need for in home.

Found an example https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...andguard-black

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast