Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset/45 deg sights on scoped rifles?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    As backups for a scope at high power, or a damaged / fogged over / obscured scope, offsets work great - I have a pair of KACs but I wouldn't hesitate to use some Magpul Pros. More useful that traditional BUIS on a scoped rifle you can't use until you take off the scope.

But for a HD rifle, I prefer one setup with an Aimpoint and if I want some magnification options, a 3x flip to the side.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The KAC offsets are nice, but the Magul MBUS PRO offsets get the same job done for considerably less $$. I have a set on each of my rifles. They're great

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LOVE the angled/offset BUIS myself, but then I run an Ace skeleton stock that gives me the SAME cheekweld whilst using them or the Trijicon 1-4X.

And not only do I practice with them, but once used them and placed 2nd in a speed shoot to knock 10 big ball bowling pins off the rail. Not only had 2nd fastest overall time, but the lowest round/shot count - by far - of all the competitors there that day. My 3 runs being 14, 13 & then 11 shots; that being my fastest time of course. Not too bad for a -39mm build I'd say ...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    what's wrong with something like a p4xi 1-4x?
    You know the answer as well as I do... Even a good 1X?? will never replace a RDS in a CQB scenario. If you knew when you went to bed you would have to defend yourself inside you house at 2:30 am what would you sleep with? 1X4 or RDS?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You know the answer as well as I do... Even a good 1X?? will never replace a RDS in a CQB scenario. If you knew when you went to bed you would have to defend yourself inside you house at 2:30 am what would you sleep with? 1X4 or RDS?
    Agreed - for an outdoors mainly, do all rifle, a 1-4/6/8 is hard to beat. But knowing you're going to be in a house, quality RDS is it (which means Aimpoint, to me).

Can you do a 1-4x inside? Sure can, but it has limitations compared to a quality RDS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an S&W Sport II with an Aimpoint PRO and the standard Magpul flip up that came with the Sport, the offset sights would on my Daniel Defense and be a zero and forget. But in the slim chance that I need to use the DD at close range I would hate having to try to use the scope.

I'll research the Magpul Pro a little more before I decide.

IMG_8352 (1).jpg
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For an AR, offset irons work nice when you are running a scope. I do have backup irons with most of my red-dot rifles... but usually leave them down. My FDE AR is my scoped version (18" barrel, Weaver 1.5-6x scope), and I run the offset MBUS Pro. Gives me flexibility of close in without going through the optic (like options, even if I can dial down to 1.5x).

For a scoped bolt action, I really don't look for irons. I have a PU sniper, as well as a WASR with a side rail... and the Russians did a nice job of allowing the irons to be used independently from their optics. Only issue is they ran the scopes noticeably high.

My other scoped rifles, including my Remington Model 7 (which I have a Leupold 4.5-14x), I don't worry about irons. Just not something I'm really needing to shoot really close in...

Feedback Score
    I don't think "don't use a scope" is a good statement. Plenty of people can be plenty fast with 1x. You just have to know if it's holding you back or not, it will depend on the shooter.

Op, why not run qd mounts and swap to an aimpoint? Or run a mrds at 45?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-20-17 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    I have an S&W Sport II with an Aimpoint PRO and the standard Magpul flip up that came with the Sport, the offset sights would on my Daniel Defense and be a zero and forget. But in the slim chance that I need to use the DD at close range I would hate having to try to use the scope.

I'll research the Magpul Pro a little more before I decide.

IMG_8352 (1).jpg
    I just had this conversation with a friend of mine who has some extensive BTDT experience. I picked up a pair of Griffin offset sights and initially planned on running them on my SPR, but the more thought I gave it (and discussed with my friend) the more it made sense to run it on my SBR with an LPV. The thought process was redundancy. I run fixed irons on all my SBR's built for CQB, meaning they will have an HWS or RDS mounted optic. That's SOP. Some guys like to run folding buis, but in my mind on the outside chance you need to transition off glass, having fixed sights in place means your finger keeps working the trigger, not trying to flip up a sight. On my SBR's that utilize an LPV's I had previously used folding sights, because you can't used a fixed buis for obvious reasons. That always kind of. There's me. So I think the solution is offset irons, mine are offset fixed sights so should I lose the optic, cant right- keep pulling trigger, the same principle for my SBR's with an RDS. I don't know the odds of losing an optic are at the wrong time, but our buddy Murphy does show up at the most inopportune times.

As an aside. I do have a Vortex Venom and I'm toying with the idea of mounting it on one of my LPV SBR's offset or on top, although I'm not 100% I will like that. Have you consider a micro RDS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    As an aside. I do have a Vortex Venom and I'm toying with the idea of mounting it on one of my LPV SBR's offset or on top, although I'm not 100% I will like that. Have you consider a micro RDS?
    My DD has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44mm , so at the 6.5 setting I'm not seeing anything close very good very quickly. My scope does have a QD mount and the mount does have a rail on top for a micro RDS, but since the rifle is intended for range only use I didn't see the need to have the micro mounted on top.

The offset sights can be tucked away and just be there for the slight chance that I might need them.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast