Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: definition of Retro, Clone, Clone Based, and Enhanced Clone

Feedback Score
    I found nothing whatsoever on the bolt or bolt carrier.

- nothing on the inside of the upper receiver

- nothing to identify the double heat shield hand guards as Colt or otherwise (who made Colt's handguards, Colt or a contractor?)

- IMHO it appears the front sight post is a tiny bit taller than usual when viewing from the rear sight. It's mounted as if from the factory being flush with the top surface of the sight casting

LOL ... I've never seen an authentic Colt like this, if it is NOT a Colt however the barrel appears to have the correct stamping and I'm guessing the "03/13" is the month and year it was completed. I actually purchased in late 2014.

I appreciate any assistance anybody may be able to provide.
    Last edited by GRA556; 04-21-17 at 12:18.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Colt did build carbines with the upper like you describe. Early M4s had an A2 upper and a 14.5" 1/7 barrel with M203 cuts and double-shielded M4 type handguards. The Model 727 was built in a similar configuration, but had the skinny 6-hole CAR handguards and these were made for foreign distribution.

Here is my 727 clone.

I am baffled about the upper assembly you have as far as its authenticity. No markings or forge code other than the Cerro Forge (keyhole) is strange. Is the BCG marked with a "C"? How is the barrel stamped?
    Nice build. With the exception of the collapsable stock and the hand guards it looks just like my upper. I like it

Feedback Score
    Colt did build carbines with the upper like you describe. Early M4s had an A2 upper and a 14.5" 1/7 barrel with M203 cuts and double-shielded M4 type handguards. The Model 727 was built in a similar configuration, but had the skinny 6-hole CAR handguards and these were made for foreign distribution.
    Just measured the barrel. It's 16", 17 1/4" to the end of the A2 flash hider.

This is totally new to me as I never knew there were any M4(s) built on anything other than flattop receivers. I guess I learned something new here today.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had someone on a FB group I belong to ask about how a M16A4 Dissipator would fit in. I told him the same thing. Pretty much just an 'Inspired" build. There is nothing wrong with this at all.
    I'm kinda sidetracking the discussion here but is there a Facebook group specializing in retro ARs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I'm kinda sidetracking the discussion here but is there a Facebook group specializing in retro ARs?
    Try going to FB and on group search type in "retro" and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Retro Club

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1460154970970343/
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    I found nothing whatsoever on the bolt or bolt carrier.

- nothing on the inside of the upper receiver

- nothing to identify the double heat shield hand guards as Colt or otherwise (who made Colt's handguards, Colt or a contractor?)

- IMHO it appears the front sight post is a tiny bit taller than usual when viewing from the rear sight. It's mounted as if from the factory being flush with the top surface of the sight casting

LOL ... I've never seen an authentic Colt like this, if it is NOT a Colt however the barrel appears to have the correct stamping and I'm guessing the "03/13" is the month and year it was completed. I actually purchased in late 2014.

I appreciate any assistance anybody may be able to provide.
    It looks like an assembly that someone built. It appears to have a 16" Colt LE6920 barrel. You are correct about the 03/13 being the month and year the barrel was made. The fact that it has a F marked FSB is indicative that it was originally meant for a flat-top upper (as in a LE6920). The upper receiver is not a Colt. It could be a contract upper that was used to build the upper assembly. The BCG should have a "C" on it if it was a Colt. As for the handguards, they may or may nor be Colt. What model is this AR? It looks like a Colt Competition model.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 04-21-17 at 16:01.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks! I went looking for a retro AR group on there awhile back and had no luck.

Feedback Score
    It looks like an assembly that someone built. It appears to have a 16" Colt LE6920 barrel. You are correct about the 03/13 being the month and year the barrel was made. The fact that it has a F marked FSB is indicative that it was originally meant for a flat-top upper (as in a LE6920). The upper receiver is not a Colt. It could be a contract upper that was used to build the upper assembly. The BCG should have a "C" on it if it was a Colt. As for the handguards, they may or may nor be Colt. What model is this AR? It looks like a Colt Competition model.
    That's what I was thinking but it is so clean and spot-free it looked like a factory assembly.

It did cross my mind it is a 6920 barrel. If this is the case then now I have a spare for the 6920 I bought a few years back.

As for the upper receiver ... who could these "contract" folks be? I've seen that stated before but I cannot place who it is, etc., nor do I know much about Colt "contract" people ...

To be honest, when I first saw this was possibly a "middle east" build, I started wondering who (contract-wise) would still be producing new A2 upper receivers and who anywhere would want one for their national military/police, etc,?

I purchased the upper as a NIB/NOS complete assembly. Day before yesterday I assembled the lower using spare parts I had and a Colt Sporting Rifles (CSR) lower receiver I bought from JSE Surplus when they had them on sale several months ago. This lower receiver was a totally separate purchase and has nothing to do with the upper I purchased by itself back in late 2014.

Thanks for your input. It's more information/opinion I had before I started.

I do want to ask this; what type of barrel was used originally on A2 carbines? Did they produce the M4 profile when they introduced the A2(s) that replaced the A1(s), or was there a totally different barrel profile initially used altogether?

Feedback Score

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast