View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun (1911, DA/SA, HK LEM)

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 64.38%
  • No

51 34.93%
  • What's a Hammer?

1 0.68%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I started with striker guns. Had some hammer fired along the way, but mostly carried striker. I really started to get into tda guns for carry. I prefer the redundant safety and the smoothness of a good da pull. I have moved to the px4cc and it is awesome. Everything I want in a carry gun it does. I just could not shoot striker guns as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seant8 View Post
    I was introduced to shooting in Law Enforcement and my first pistol was a Glock 31. Since then I've been able to shoot Sigs, 1911s, and a few other manufacturers' guns. I appreciate them all for different reasons, but I still run a Glock 17. I must be the rare human they designed the Glock grip for, because it suits me perfect finger grooves and all. I'll probably run a Glock 17 with talon grips and Warren Tactical fiber optic sights until laser guns are a thing. I prefer the consistent trigger pull and the simplicity of it. I run my concealed carry at 4 o'clock. I can understand why appendix carriers would want to run a DA/SA gun, although I think striker fired guns are fine in that position too with due diligence from the shooter.
    I'm the same way. I find the Glock grip, especially the 19 perfect...finger grooves and all.

Started with Ruger P89 in 2001 didn't know anything about guns. They were all the same to me so I picked one that was priced right. Couldn't hit shit with it. Today when I pick one up I don't know how I even bought it. Feels all wrong in the hand and horrible triggers. Anyway, had a bunch of different random guns untill I finally stopped accumulating them and started to get more serious about carrying and shooting. Bought a G19 in 2008 and since then all my striker fired guns have been Glocks. I own a few hammer fired guns but I can't just go and order one like I would with Glock. They all feel inconsistent to me, even in the same brand. Pick up a dozen different Sigs and one or two will feel smoother and lighter than the rest. Same with CZ and Beretta. For a while I was into 3rd gen S&Ws. Had the 5906, 4566/06, 1006/26. I found them to have the best trigger pull. Despite being rated at 10# they didn't feel like it. Sold them all eventually. I still have HKs, P2000 40sw LEM, USP9 LEM, and a few other USPs that I'm hoping to turn into LEM. I find them to be the closest to striker fired. I'd really like to find a P2000 9mm in light LEM. And I have an old 226 along with a 2022

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Although my preferred sidearm is a 1911 cocked and locked I still edc a striker fired pistol without a safety. Mainly due to one reason that for some reason a lot of people don't consider. While my wife is a fairly advanced shooter with many training classes and hours behind her (along with many quals with duty gun and level III holster) a thumb safety / decocker just isn't her thing. Although she carries her own pistol I still want her (or my adult daughter) to be able to use my pistol in the event I'm down and out of the fight. In a stress situation either one of them would be more than able to return fire instantly with a striker fired Glock/M&P/320 etc.. Anything with a safety, not so much. The same goes for a DA/SA gun, although again proficient enough with them, the practice of de-cocking is foreign and just not practiced. Now a DAO hammer fired gun could fit the bill if I really wanted to carry a hammer gun.

Feedback Score
    I carry a 1911 either government or officers size. I shoot them well and have trained a lot with them. I have entertained carrying my G19 off and on for the past several years due to the increased capacity, but I can't shoot it anywhere near as well as a 1911. I have medium size hands and for the life of me I can't get my hand comfortable on the grip and always shoot well to the left (6 inches). I have been focusing on training with it more for the past month and plan to continue to do so. I'm also contemplating doing a grip reduction and finger bump removal on it as a last ditch try to get better with it. For me it comes down to having 8+1 rounds that I can hit with vs 15+1 rounds that I can miss with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Smith M13 3" or SIG P225. I like the added margin of safety of the longer trigger pull.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have both and prefer both (Glock, CZ, Sig, HK). I carry my Glocks because I've trained with them and am more proficient with them. Going to training later this year and will bring CZ P-07 and will start carrying that depending how I feel with it after the class.

Feedback Score
    And here I thought I was the only one!

Through my shooting style, plain and simple, I shoot hammer guns better than striker guns. However, I am not a big fan of DA/SA so I always carried/trained with an HK in condition one. That is, until I discovered LEM. To me it's the best of both worlds: consistent trigger pull every time; no safety to worry about; and hammer fired. Now I carry a P30 and train with a P30L.

I still like condition one type of pistols, though, over striker. One of my current favorites is my 226 SAO. Will hopefully be adding a 226 Legoin SAO one of these days.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.
    I'm the opposite, I prefer trigger press to be consistent, be it DA or SA, but not a fan of DA/SA. I CCWd, competed, etc 1911s for a decade or so, and love the platform, but made the switch to polymer wonder pistol via the M&P with APEX kit, which I suspect was the set up that finally drew more 1911 shooters over to the dark side than any other.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I mostly carry Glock, but on occasion I carry a p30 lem
    I like the p30 more. actually I love my p30, but the Glock is easier to shoot
    ”Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people”
    ~Tench Coxe

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't touch a hammer gun with a 10 foot pole.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast