View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun (1911, DA/SA, HK LEM)

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 64.38%
  • No

51 34.93%
  • What's a Hammer?

1 0.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Its abundantly clear that as times have changed, so have firearm preferences. This year saw the adoption of the Sig P320 as the next US Military sidearm, ending a 116 year period of using hammer fired sidearms as the "official" sidearm. I'm not much one for nostalgia, but I do find the trend interesting. It's clear that the market demand for striker fired guns is at an all time high, with CZ, Beretta and FN introducing new models in the past 6 months alone. We also have Sig, Walther, HK, Canik, Steyr, Ruger, Remington, (insert favorite brand here) that have all introduced their ideal version of the "Glock killer" striker fired handgun.

I'm curious how many of you in here still carry and prefer to shoot hammer fired guns? I'm not limiting this to one category; it could be a 1911, a DA/SA (any brand), HK LEM, whatever. If you do carry a hammer fired gun, regardless of what it is, I'd be curious to hear your specific reasons why.

On the same token, if you carry a striker fired gun, regardless of brand, I'd also like to hear why as opposed to a DA/SA or 1911. I'd like to leave "fanboy-ism" out of this thread if possible.

If all you've ever shot is striker fired guns and have never tried a hammer fired gun please post up as well.

I personally grew up shooting Glocks, and I began seriously training about 4 years ago. I dipped my feet into DA/SA Berettas, and now they are my primary carry. I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-20-17 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.
    ^ This pretty much sums up my thought process as well.

Cocked and locked 1911 style may be safe enough, but requires manually flipping off the safety, something that could be screwed up in a panic situation. (even though men that carry .45 don't panic)

Striker fired is ready to go and even a t-shirt getting caught in the trigger can result in the loss of your favorite parts when carrying AIWB.

DA/SA strikes a nice balance of no external safety to manipulate and long first trigger pull from a decocked hammer.

Thumbing the hammer makes it impossible to fire.

The combination is very safe, yet very easy to deploy.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You didn't put up the option for a mix of carry so I selected "Yes" because I carry a hammer fired pistol along with striker fired from time to time. I have a blend of Sig/1911/G19 in rotation and really feel that I am confident with each firearm in any situation. For a while all I carried was the G19, but I am more accurate with my 1911s and the decision to rotate them back in was made.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its abundantly clear that as times have changed, so have firearm preferences. This year saw the adoption of the Sig P320 as the next US Military sidearm, ending a 116 year period of using hammer fired sidearms as the "official" sidearm. I'm not much one for nostalgia, but I do find the trend interesting. It's clear that the market demand for striker fired guns is at an all time high, with CZ, Beretta and FN introducing new models in the past 6 months alone. We also have Sig, Walther, HK, Canik, Steyr, Ruger, Remington, (insert favorite brand here) that have all introduced their ideal version of the "Glock killer" striker fired handgun.

I'm curious how many of you in here still carry and prefer to shoot hammer fired guns? I'm not limiting this to one category; it could be a 1911, a DA/SA (any brand), HK LEM, whatever. If you do carry a hammer fired gun, regardless of what it is, I'd be curious to hear your specific reasons why.

On the same token, if you carry a striker fired gun, regardless of brand, I'd also like to hear why as opposed to a DA/SA or 1911. I'd like to leave "fanboy-ism" out of this thread if possible.

If all you've ever shot is striker fired guns and have never tried a hammer fired gun please post up as well.

I personally grew up shooting Glocks, and I began seriously training about 4 years ago. I dipped my feet into DA/SA Berettas, and now they are my primary carry. I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.
    There is no additional margin of "safety" with a hammer fired gun. If you aren't shooting and/or haven't made the decision to fire, then your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. SA, DA, DAO, DA/SA it doesn't matter, if your finger isn't on the trigger the gun doesn't go off. This is a training issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    ^ This pretty much sums up my thought process as well.

Cocked and locked 1911 style may be safe enough, but requires manually flipping off the safety, something that could be screwed up in a panic situation. (even though men that carry .45 don't panic)

Striker fired is ready to go and even a t-shirt getting caught in the trigger can result in the loss of your favorite parts when carrying AIWB.

DA/SA strikes a nice balance of no external safety to manipulate and long first trigger pull from a decocked hammer.

Thumbing the hammer makes it impossible to fire.

The combination is very safe, yet very easy to deploy.
    Catching a garment in your trigger guard is unlikely and is again a training issue. Doing so is no more difficult than forgetting to decock your DA/SA gun. So you're trading one so called negative for another.

A striker fired gun like a Glock is the easy choice. Simple, light weight, large capacity and works when needed by simply pressing the trigger which has a consistent trigger pull for every single round fired unlike a DA/SA gun.

By comparison a Glock has the following going for it that a DA/SA gun does not.

lighter
    smaller(dimensions)
    Fewer parts
    Lower bore axis
    Consistent trigger pull
    No manual safety/decocker
    Equal or more capacity(dependent on model)
    Cross compatible magazines(and often holsters) from full size to compact and sub compact

MM

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    There is no additional margin of "safety" with a hammer fired gun. If you aren't shooting and/or haven't made the decision to fire, then your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. SA, DA, DAO, DA/SA it doesn't matter, if your finger isn't on the trigger the gun doesn't go off. This is a training issue.

Catching a garment in your trigger guard is unlikely and is again a training issue. Doing so is no more difficult than forgetting to decock your DA/SA gun. So you're trading one so called negative for another.

A striker fired gun like a Glock is the easy choice. Simple, light weight, large capacity and works when needed by simply pressing the trigger which has a consistent trigger pull for every single round fired unlike a DA/SA gun.

By comparison a Glock has the following going for it that a DA/SA gun does not.

lighter
    smaller(dimensions)
    Fewer parts
    Lower bore axis
    Consistent trigger pull
    No manual safety/decocker
    Equal or more capacity(dependent on model)
    Cross compatible magazines(and often holsters) from full size to compact and sub compact

MM
    I own 8 Glocks. I shoot them fine and have carried them in the past. I know the benefits they have going for them, but for my personal use I've switched to a DA/SA gun (mostly Berettas) and feel they more adequately meet my needs and wants in a carry gun.

There's very select occasions where I'll reach for a Glock over a Beretta or Sig, and that's only because of how easy it is to detail strip a Glock if I were to get it wet or muddy, etc. It's a pain to detail strip a Beretta or Sig, but I still reach for a TDA for 95% of my carry situations.

Feedback Score
    I went the other way, started with da/sa cz. Changed it to a sao with a sweet trigger.

Got tired of lack of aftermarket support ( was a 75 compact 40), especially magazines for carry. Got tired of training to make sure I didn't miss the safety. It only happened once in a few thousand rounds, but I still didn't like it. One less thing to worry about.

Went with an m&p 40, quit worrying about triggers and have been happy. My shoozing improved. I still think about a g19 sometimes.

I'd like to have a nice sti 2011, but it will never happen.
    For safety, I use a vg2 and 3 for carry, so no worry about shooting myself during a reholstering.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-25-17 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I never really warmed up to striker fired pistols, except for the HK P7 PSP.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own 8 Glocks. I shoot them fine and have carried them in the past. I know the benefits they have going for them, but for my personal use I've switched to a DA/SA gun (mostly Berettas) and feel they more adequately meet my needs and wants in a carry gun.

There's very select occasions where I'll reach for a Glock over a Beretta or Sig, and that's only because of how easy it is to detail strip a Glock if I were to get it wet or muddy, etc. It's a pain to detail strip a Beretta or Sig, but I still reach for a TDA for 95% of my carry situations.
    Can you elaborate on the bold please.

MM

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Can you elaborate on the bold please.

MM
    I would imagine. Size, holster position carry, hammer for holstering, shootability, capacity, accessories

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

MM
    You can use a P226 mag in a P229 or a P224. Same with holsters, I carry a P224 in a P226 holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast