Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ugly" handguns

Feedback Score

"Ugly" handguns

I was watching a YouTube video made by a person that has done numerous firearms videos on that site. He said that, in his opinion, The Ruger American Pistol would be a sales flop for Ruger. Not because of reliability, accuracy, or price issues but simply because it's so ugly/unappealing that many will refuse to buy it. I don't know - if that was the case I would imagine Glock would have ceased marketing decades ago.

I just picked in a RAP fullsize in 9mm this week, and while I don't see it winning any beauty contests, it looks about normal for a polymer-framed, striker fired semiauto these days.

So, is there any truth to the assertion that looks can be a determining factor in whether or not to buy a certain brand/model?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    So, is there any truth to the assertion that looks can be a determining factor in whether or not to buy a certain brand/model?
    Probably, but who knows. I find the Walther pistols and HK VP9/40 extremely ugly, but both get great marks for ergonomics and the HK does overall and seems to be gaining a following. As you pointed out, Glocks aren't pretty either.

If only looks counted, wouldn't we all have shiny chrome, polished stainless or high-gloss blue pistols, either all-metal 1911s and Hi-Powers or Colt SAAs? Because isn't everything else ugly in comparison?

I don't watch many youtube gun videos because >90% of them are a mix of BS, idiocy and pedantic nothings.

Feedback Score
    Among the guys I know, the award for ugliest handgun goes to the Beretta APX (with that array of ridges down the slide).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Among the guys I know, the award for ugliest handgun goes to the Beretta APX (with that array of ridges down the slide).
    I think their PX4 Subcompact can nudge it out.
    Very weird looking/shaped subcompact that is not even a PX4 operating system. It just looks like a PX4.

Feedback Score
    Ah, an issue close to my heart.

I recall one article that said the number one thing to sell a car was it's looks - performance, reputation, reliability, etc.. none of that mattered. If it looked good, it sold. Sure, that's not true for everyone, but for the majority - I've known a number of people for whom that was true.

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked as a gun store slave, and I can't tell you the number of people drawn to chromed out Jenning's (think southern AZ) - they looked good to the uninitiated and they were the right price. So, look good and cheap works. But, in the long run, not so much. I don't even think Jenning's is still around, but Smith & Wesson and Glock are. In the end, I want to believe quality matters.

I think the larger questions is why can't personal weapons look good in the modern era? The knife community gets that for the most part. Historically, look at the best swords from Europe and Asia - not only functional for their time, but a lot of effort went into making sure they looked good (understanding some research shows Nordic swords sucked, says the Nordic, and were status symbols.)

While most of us have to live with polymer framed striker guns, and do fine with them, there are still the $6K+ 1911's and Hi Powers of the world built by the likes of Jason Burton. Style and functionality, but at a price most of us cannot afford, even if we wanted to wait two years. More power to him, I say, but it would be nice for the working man to have a happy medium with looks tossed into the DVC equation.

How many people out there will put looking cool above all else? The gun community isn't above that. Whatever aesthetic is adopted, it will hold sway. Are cargo pants with shades, a clipped on knife, and scraggly beard good looking? No, but to a certain element they are cool. And, so be it. I don't hold that against them. We all have what we like and don't like.

Think about what guns looked liked before plastic and CADCAM ruled the day. There was that certain panache to a handgun. It's why I'll always own a SAA, 1911, Python, PPK, and multiple K-frames, regardless of what I use on a daily basis.

Some believe a personal weapon should be a reflection of the user because it is what will be relied upon in the worst of circumstances, look at the art painted on WWI and WWII fighters and bombers. Others see the gun only as a tool and why personalize or worry about what a fire extinguisher looks like. Both views have merit.

So, yes, looks matter greatly for the seller - it is just a matter of dialing in as to what the buyer thinks looks good. If it doesn't make money, it won't be around.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Ah Jennings I think they had a slogan similar to HK "In a world of compromise, some men do"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ruger MkII target stainless. I own one. Ugly, but I love it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A fine example of this, I have a friend who thinks the Springfield XDs, the original, were so ugly that they hovered off the ground because the earth repelled them. I honestly never thought they looked that bad. Glocks rarely attract me. Honest. Some set ups, with a good light, some wear, sights, I like, but is doesn't get me hard. Now, an H&K P7M13. Mmmm, I need some time alone with that one. Lol. The point being what is pleasing to the eye of the one and to another are different. If the gun works, and affordable, and has market support it will survive. End of story. I have the opinion that part of the, "oh that gun looks good." Has been trained into people by what made it, because when get down to it any new gun design is a little weird looking, some grow on you, some don't, but I can pretty well promise that the ones that work end up with more people being drawn to them by reputation.

On a side note, in this day and age, with people being as visual as they are, I would think there are more than a few companies that want their guns to stand out visually. More so in the polymer framed striker fired world than anything I would think, simply because we are to the point a lot of people see a black plastic handgun and instantly go, "Is that a glock?"

Lastly, for a running in the ugliest gun award I will present this abomination.

"I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Ruger MkII target stainless. I own one. Ugly, but I love it.
    I never had an issue with the looks of the Mk II and MKIII series, the change up to the MkIV is a little strange looking to me. The Ruger p85 and P89 and P95 though and their brethren were kind of hideous though. I mean like double bag ugly.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Ugly....the latest xde

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast