Thread: Safariland ALS Holster Modification - Tek-Lok

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Safariland ALS Holster Modification - Tek-Lok

I just got finished with a DIY holster modification, and I thought I'd share since I haven't seen this anywhere else on the Internet. I've always wished I could have a dropped/offset Safariland ALS holster with a tek-lok. Today I noticed that I had a spare tek-lok and a Safariland mid ride UBL from an old duty holster. I also had a brand new Safariland 7TS "concealment" ALS holster (The one that comes with the paddle and the close in belt attachment) that my wife got me as a gift a while back. Seeing all three in the same space got my wheels to turning. Before I knew it, I had drilled holes and attached the tek-lok to the UBL. It worked like a champ, and gave lots of extra functionality to the holster. So, why bother with a mod like this?
    1. The UBL is super strong but is meant for Police duty belts that are 2" to 2 1/2" wide. This mod allows you to use a 1.5" or 1.75" EDC belt. This also allows attaching the holster to a CR Speed type competition belt as well if retention is desired, which is becoming popular in 3-Gun.
    2. I can now choose between clipping the holster on with the tek-lok only, or running the belt through both the UBL and the tek-lok for extra stability. The clip on function is nice at the range for switching out a concealment holster with this holster since I wear a belt with a cobra buckle.
    3. For owners of the US Grunt Gear war belts, you could do this mod to attach a Safarland holster to that belt without using a G-Code molle adapter. I've never owned one of those buy I've eyeballed them longingly on their website before.
    I put the holster on in both configurations with my EDC cobra belt and I was extremely happy with how stable it was during the draw, even with just the tek-lok holding it on. With the new tek-lok's retention tab I don't see it coming off unexpectedly.
    This could also be done to the Safariland low ride UBL, and I really think it could be made to work on the high ride UBL since the tek-lok has a lot of holes to work with.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I like it. I think I have an extra UBL hanging around. Might do the same (and maybe lose the UBL belt slots too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    I like it. I think I have an extra UBL hanging around. Might do the same (and maybe lose the UBL belt slots too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You might wanna run it for a while before chopping off the belt slots. They don't interfere with clipping on the holster at all and give you an option to run the belt through them. You also still have the option of running a wide duty belt through there by removing the belt width tab adjusters in the tek-lok. The UBL would also still be viable if the tek-lok is removed as there are just 3 small holes in it that don't weaken it at all IMO. The thought of chopping them off and rounding off the corners did cross my mind though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've read several reports that the Safariland clip is easy enough to get on, but a bitch to get off and not as easy to use as the tek-lok. Does anyone have experience with it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    it's easy if you mount it the conventional way. if you mount it upside down like I do, to ensure it doesn't accidentally come undone, then it's fairly difficult. requires 2 hands and unbuckling the belt.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I got a chance today to work with the holster again today. I ran it tek-lok only without running the belt through the loops on the UBL. It felt really solid and I had no issues with the holster moving back and forth on the belt. I thought it might look a little goofy on the belt, but the gun hides the loops completely when holstered. I really like that I can switch between this, the Safariland GLS paddle holster (for a close to the body open carry), and my Blade-Tech IWB holster without removing my belt. I love Safariland's ALS and GLS retention systems, but look to Blade Tech for everything else as I just dislike Safariland's concealment products. The small paddles on their mag pouches dig into my side and I would just rather use the tek-lok.