Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cimarron/Rock Island 1911

Feedback Score

New Cimarron/Rock Island 1911

This is Cimarron's so-called "World War I" edition, although with a Parkerized finish and various other details it's more of a "close enough" than a real replica from that era. It does seem to be quite well made and finished, though. Comes with an Italian-made 8 rounder.

The grips are billed as walnut, but they're a lot lighter in color than other walnut grips I've seen. Maybe some sort of Philippine wood/recycled packing crates, or can walnut be that light in tone?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats. Though the purists cringe at the talk of the Cimarron being this or that, so what? I had one and it was just fine for its intended purpose. My factory grips were pathetic. I changed them to some basic Colt walnut grips. It was the polished blue model. And you get the good Armscor warranty and support personnel up in Nevada. Historically, they've been good folks. here's my before and after grips.

Feedback Score
    Holy cow, huge difference in the grips!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    Holy cow, huge difference in the grips!
    Yeah, I don't mind at all the smooth wood grips on Rocks. But those on the Cimarron look like pressed cardboard. The OP's grips look a bit different to me. Perhaps they've changed them in the last year or so.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    First thing I replaced on my Rocks were the grips. The standard "factory" grip is fatter than Rosie O'Donnell at a cupcake factory.

As for the color of the walnut, it depends on the type and grade of walnut being used. I wouldn't expect Cimarron/Rock Island to be using high grades of walnut on their grips. Maybe English Walnut (it tends to have a lighter hue than the Black Walnut) in a utility or semi-fancy grade. You are dealing with a pistol that's generally under $600.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I figured "Philippine Walnut", aka pine

Feedback Score
    Being noses,if I wanted to add this pistol to my collection,what kind of price am I going to have to pay for New Cimarron/RIA 1911?
    USMC RVN Vet. 0311,68/69.

Feedback Score
    Grabagun has them (the Parkerized version) for $442. IIRC, Bud's is $465 shipped.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After reading up on these a bit, I'm interested in the high polish version. A couple things I would switch out, though - the trigger to the "long" version, and the safety to the original style. Question is, where would I even get those in a high polish blued finish? Would I have to get them in-the-white, then fit, polish, and blue them myself?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Interesting gun. Where are these Cimarron 1911 made?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast