Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Failure to Feed; Was Failure to extract

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does the extension overhang the feed-ramps at all? I can't tell from the pic if that is just an illusion or if there a little overhang.
    Last edited by midSCarolina; 04-28-17 at 10:54.
    "The machine doesn't make the man, the man makes the machine" - Gucci

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yes, the barrel extension overhangs the upper slightly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea... i don't know if it is just tolerances or if something is slightly off but you can either take it apart and check or just use some pmag m3s or something that will feed the round a little higher up on the feed ramp. If I had to guess, I would say it would run 100% with the m3 pmags.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by midSCarolina View Post
    Yea... i don't know if it is just tolerances or if something is slightly off but you can either take it apart and check or just use some pmag m3s or something that will feed the round a little higher up on the feed ramp. If I had to guess, I would say it would run 100% with the m3 pmags.
    The intent of the rifle is potentially SD, so, I my opinion, it should work with with all quality mags and ammo. THis is what I'm striving for. Additionally, I haven't added the suppressor to the mix yet, as I expect a suppressor will complicate things more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    The intent of the rifle is potentially SD, so, I my opinion, it should work with with all quality mags and ammo. THis is what I'm striving for. Additionally, I haven't added the suppressor to the mix yet, as I expect a suppressor will complicate things more.
    I definitely agree with that (not sure the suppressor would make it any better or worse) but you can either take it apart and try the barrel in a different receiver and see if it has the same issue and try to get the problem part replaced or if you are really good with a hand file, you can smooth out that junction yourself. Good luck

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by midSCarolina View Post
    I definitely agree with that (not sure the suppressor would make it any better or worse) but you can either take it apart and try the barrel in a different receiver and see if it has the same issue and try to get the problem part replaced or if you are really good with a hand file, you can smooth out that junction yourself. Good luck
    Oh, I've already swapped upper receivers. Mega billet has been removed and replaced with a Sionics forged. The ramp fit is the opposite now, with he barrel extension slightly recessed in relation to the receiver. I'm hoping this will fix FTF problems. I'm not anxious to take a file or dremel to the feed ramps on the Mega receiver as I don't feel qualified to do that. I'd likely make it worse.

I'm hoping to test again in a few days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh, I've already swapped upper receivers. Mega billet has been removed and replaced with a Sionics forged. The ramp fit is the opposite now, with he barrel extension slightly recessed in relation to the receiver. I'm hoping this will fix FTF problems. I'm not anxious to take a file or dremel to the feed ramps on the Mega receiver as I don't feel qualified to do that. I'd likely make it worse.

I think that should do it

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

That is gtg. Do NOT file them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    That is gtg. Do NOT file them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    I've actually tested the barrel in several uppers (Mega, Hodge, YHM and BCM), and all of them have a mismatch, albeit slight, between the barrel extension and receiver. The mismatch creates a small lip the barrel extension. I also tested another quality barrel I have, and that barrel's extension is smooth with the same uppers. There may be an issue with this barrels barrel extension. Per list rules, I have contacted the manufacturer. I will update when this is resolved.

NC
    Last edited by nightchief; 05-02-17 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've actually tested the barrel in several uppers (Mega, Hodge, YHM and BCM), and all of them have a mismatch, albeit slight, between the barrel extension and receiver. I tried another barrel I have, and that barrel's extension is smooth with the same uppers. I now believe there may be an issue with this barrels barrel extension. Per list rules, I have contacted the manufacturer. I will update when this is resolved.

NC
    To be clear, a "mismatch" where the barrel extension's feed ramps are recessed further away than the aluminum receiver feed ramps is fine and within spec. There does not have to be a perfect alignment here. In fact, some companies err on the side of having the barrel extension purposefully be slightly recessed to prevent any negative geometries from occurring when tolerance stacks happen. The only issue is when the barrel extension's feed ramps extend further forward than the aluminum receiver's feed ramps, creating a ledge.

Absent that, there's no issue with that barrel.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast