Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Full Auto Meltdown Test: Nitride & Chrome Lined Barrel Accuracy Test

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not trying to be a wise guy. I own both types of barrels and I'm trying to understand enough to come to some sort of a conclusion. Can we we say one is better than the other? Do we need to wait for the Faxon borescoping? It looks like the melonited barrel did a bit better accuracy wise......is this meaningful? I don't know what to think.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Not trying to be a wise guy. I own both types of barrels and I'm trying to understand enough to come to some sort of a conclusion. Can we we say one is better than the other? Do we need to wait for the Faxon borescoping? It looks like the melonited barrel did a bit better accuracy wise......is this meaningful? I don't know what to think.
    Nothing can be drawn from such a test other than that both performed adequately after some abuse. This test is non-scientific, and statistically insignificant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My understanding is that chrome-lining is a very high overhead cost operation, and thus only done by very few makers.
    Does Faxon do these in-house or outsource?
    What is the depth of the chrome lining? It could be that the depth and tolerance that the chrome lining is applied would affect both the accuracy and resistance to heat.
    All chrome lining, and Nitriding for that matter, are likely not the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    My understanding is that chrome-lining is a very high overhead cost operation, and thus only done by very few makers.
    What is the depth of the chrome lining? It could be that the depth and tolerance that the chrome lining is applied would affect both the accuracy and resistance to heat.
    This is the same point I was working towards. That the finish or treatment is far less critical than the one doing the finishing. If done right, either will be perfectly serviceable. By no means should this test be viewed as chromed barrels being less accurate or durable than their Melonited brethren. Both remained combat accurate after being abused. The Melonited shot a little better, but there are too many variables unaccounted for to draw any detailed conclusions.

I do think this somewhat puts to bed the idea that melonite is a notably inferior option. It would have been interesting if the results were reversed. Given the more established track record of Chrome, I think everyone is more inclined to write off/excuse the perceived poorer performance. I'm not sure melonite would be given that same level of courtesy. Instead, the testing may have been viewed as evidence it can't hold up.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    This is the same point I was working towards. That the finish or treatment is far less critical than the one doing the finishing. If done right, either will be perfectly serviceable. By no means should this test be viewed as chromed barrels being less accurate or durable than their Melonited brethren. Both remained combat accurate after being abused. The Melonited shot a little better, but there are too many variables unaccounted for to draw any detailed conclusions.

I do think this somewhat puts to bed the idea that melonite is a notably inferior option. It would have been interesting if the results were reversed. Given the more established track record of Chrome, I think everyone is more inclined to write off/excuse the perceived poorer performance. I'm not sure melonite would be given that same level of courtesy. Instead, the testing may have been viewed as evidence it can't hold up.
    Well stated, and those are my thoughts too. The accuracy results honestly surprised me. I was wondering if the scope mount was loose on the CL barrel while I was watching the video as alluded to earlier in the thread
    Last edited by RazorBurn; 04-24-17 at 10:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Faxon does not chrome or nitride in-house. Both are extremely high overhead processes and we know of only few manufacturers who do that in-house. None in the US to our knowledge outside of one heavy and medium machine gun manufacturer.

For those curious, the barrel was Nitrided by Parker Trutec and the Chrome by US Chrome. US Chrome has been doing US military barrels for decades.

Both run about the same thickness. .0005 is about nominal for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post

In this statement, we agree wholly, which is partially why we did it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nathan, does Faxon cut the bores of barrels a bit larger to compensate for the thickness of the chrome lining?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    Faxon does not chrome or nitride in-house. Both are extremely high overhead processes and we know of only few manufacturers who do that in-house. None in the US to our knowledge outside of one heavy and medium machine gun manufacturer.

For those curious, the barrel was Nitrided by Parker Trutec and the Chrome by US Chrome. US Chrome has been doing US military barrels for decades.

Both run about the same thickness. .0005 is about nominal for both.

In this statement, we agree wholly, which is partially why we did it.
    Hmm LiFe Coating in the Future perhaps?
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 04-24-17 at 12:53.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Nathan, does Faxon cut the bores of barrels a bit larger to compensate for the thickness of the chrome lining?
    No. US Chrome uses an electropolish step for the barrels that we have them line. Much easier to control the bore dimensions and finish that way.

Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Hmm LiFe Coating in the Future perhaps?
    Perhaps. We will not move to any new process or coating without exhaustively testing it.

If we do move to it, you can rest assured, that we feel confident in putting our brand and reputation on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FaxonNathan View Post
    No. US Chrome uses an electropolish step for the barrels that we have them line. Much easier to control the bore dimensions and finish that way.

Perhaps. We will not move to any new process or coating without exhaustively testing it.

If we do move to it, you can rest assured, that we feel confident in putting our brand and reputation on it.
    How much do they remove?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast