Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick access "safe"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Quick access "safe"

I read some of the older threads on quick access "safes" but am wondering what those of you with kids are using nowadays. I have my first due in just a couple days and sometime in the next year I will have a curious mini-me getting into everything he can get his little paws on.

The most recent thread I could find was 3-4 years old and am looking to see if technology has changed or advanced at all.

Ideally looking for 2 safes one for a pistol and another for a long gun. I prefer a mechanical lock, simplex style. One will be bolted to the side of the bed frame and hold a G17 with light and a spare mag. And a second I would like to mount in a closet, preferably between studs, and hold either a carbine or shotgun.

Feedback Score
    Can't you just put it up out of reach

Feedback Score
    I came across this, but have no experience with it.

http://www.nashvillesafehouse.com/pr...-closet-vault/
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nml View Post
    Can't you just put it up out of reach
    Jesus Christ. You must not like kids. That folks is why your pediatrician asks you about unsecured guns...

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    I read some of the older threads on quick access "safes" but am wondering what those of you with kids are using nowadays. I have my first due in just a couple days and sometime in the next year I will have a curious mini-me getting into everything he can get his little paws on.

The most recent thread I could find was 3-4 years old and am looking to see if technology has changed or advanced at all.

Ideally looking for 2 safes one for a pistol and another for a long gun. I prefer a mechanical lock, simplex style. One will be bolted to the side of the bed frame and hold a G17 with light and a spare mag. And a second I would like to mount in a closet, preferably between studs, and hold either a carbine or shotgun.
    This is what I have under my bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/dv652/

Like all other quick access storage devices, it is a deterrent to kids less than 12 that offers no real burglary or fire protection. A determined robber or Columbine Kid WILL gain access if you give them a hammer, crow bar, and 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-21-17 at 17:07.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Jesus Christ. You must not like kids. That folks is why your pediatrician asks you about unsecured guns...

This is what I have under my bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/dv652/

Like all other quick access storage devices, it is a deterrent to kids less than 12 that offers no real burglary or fire protection. A determined robber or Columbine Kid WILL gain access if you give them a hammer, crow bar, and 10 minutes.
    Mind me asking what those range in price Sensei?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Too much, I am sure! Amsec is nice though, I have a BF series.

I really want to get one of these FAS1 safes and mount it to my bed frame. They have models that accept suppressed pistols as well. But I have zero experience with them and to be honest can't remember how I got on their email list.

http://www.fas1safe.com/

Suppressed Pistol:
    http://products.fas1safe.com/product...6&categoryId=1

I bet they have a 4th of July sale on the order of 10-15% off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    So your concern is the baby climbing to the top of the bookshelf in the middle of night and finding his carry gun? He made it sound like he was looking for somewhere to put his pistol at night where it was easy to get to when he needed it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    About $400 including shipping on Amazon.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Go ahead and invest in a real safe. The time it takes to gain access is nominal. That time also allows you a chance to gain a safe level of situational awareness. Buy a model one size bigger than you think you will need. Security for your family should be layered and designed in a manner that promotes early threat detection. Congratulations on the new family member.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Go ahead and invest in a real safe. The time it takes to gain access is nominal. That time also allows you a chance to gain a safe level of situational awareness. Buy a model one size bigger than you think you will need. Security for your family should be layered and designed in a manner that promotes early threat detection. Congratulations on the new family member.
    This isn't quite the best advice. I have a real safe, but it was too big to bring into the upstairs master so it lives in my garage. I have also been looking for something a little more quick access to keep either a rifle or pistol in my bedroom. No need to spend another $2k for one gun storage.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast