Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick access "safe"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Go ahead and invest in a real safe. The time it takes to gain access is nominal. That time also allows you a chance to gain a safe level of situational awareness. Buy a model one size bigger than you think you will need. Security for your family should be layered and designed in a manner that promotes early threat detection. Congratulations on the new family member.
    Already have a full size, thanks anyway. I started this thread asking specifically for a small quick access safe to prevent a child from having access to, a ready to go, pistol and long gun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Jesus Christ. You must not like kids. That folks is why your pediatrician asks you about unsecured guns...

This is what I have under my bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/dv652/

Like all other quick access storage devices, it is a deterrent to kids less than 12 that offers no real burglary or fire protection. A determined robber or Columbine Kid WILL gain access if you give them a hammer, crow bar, and 10 minutes.
    Exactly. As gun owners we have a duty to properly secure our firearms. If everyone would see this, it would take some of the wind out of the collective sails of the gun prohibition movement.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    About $400 including shipping on Amazon.
    Ok, thats not bad considering the $300 for the smaller safe I linked.

Hmm, the AMSEC might be the thing to keep the suppressed SBR in the bedroom. The battery powered locks make me nervous though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Ok, thats not bad considering the $300 for the smaller safe I linked.

Hmm, the AMSEC might be the thing to keep the suppressed SBR in the bedroom. The battery powered locks make me nervous though.
    Call AMSEC because there are multiple lock options including the Group II Combination lock.

I'm fine with the electronic lock. It runs off a 9 volt battery. I change mine every 9 months or so, and I open the safe at least twice daily. It will chime at you if it gets too low. The lock has a lockout feature and will not allow entry for 15 min if you enter the combination wrong more than 5 times in a row.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-22-17 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...rage?a=1784635

SecureIt Tactical Harrier Fast Box Firearm Storage - 621475, Gun Cabinets & Racks at Sportsman's Guide $260 for non-members

Don't have one but this thread prompted me to look.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    OK I'm leaning towards the FAS1 for the pistol. Now I am still looking for the long gun. Still prefer in a closet between the studs. Does anybody have experience with one of these? Specs make it look a little flimsy. But I have not handled one to know for sure. http://vlineind.com/ProductDetail.php?product_id=70

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    OK I'm leaning towards the FAS1 for the pistol. Now I am still looking for the long gun. Still prefer in a closet between the studs. Does anybody have experience with one of these? Specs make it look a little flimsy. But I have not handled one to know for sure. http://vlineind.com/ProductDetail.php?product_id=70
    Manage your expectations. Anything other than a truly burglary-rated safe is going to be a "residential security container", at best. It will not stand up to an attacker with a modicum of time and basic hand tools. It's simply a container to keep little hands from having easy access to a firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    I have a similar cabinet. It works well for what it is. I have little kids at home too & it's perfect for my needs.

Install it in a closet, paint it gray, and put a "Square D" or "Cutler Hammer" emblems on it. No one will be none the wiser.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thought this was interesting, found it in the reviews here: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...rage?a=1784635

The flaw: A common hack for opening electronic safes is to fish a bent metal rod, bar, or stiff wire around the door, hit the reset button, then reset the access code and open the safe. The same can be done with the Fast Box as it has numerous mounting holes on each side and vent holes on the back.

The fix: Take off the cap of any plastic soda or drink bottle and use a hack saw to cut off the threaded top. Even out the bottom of the threaded top with sandpaper, then use JB Weld to glue that threaded top around the red reset button inside the cabinet -- be sure that you can still close the door without interference. Let it cure and you're done. Take the cap and screw it onto the threads. Now someone can poke around all they want and they won't be able to reset the code, and with a screw top cap you'll have access to change the code whenever you want. A few cents and few minutes invested.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks 26 Inf! That's great information

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast