Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick access "safe"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I have a similar cabinet. It works well for what it is. I have little kids at home too & it's perfect for my needs.

Install it in a closet, paint it gray, and put a "Square D" or "Cutler Hammer" emblems on it. No one will be none the wiser.
    Now that is they type of info I'm looking for. I love the "hidden in plain sight" idea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    This isn't quite the best advice. I have a real safe, but it was too big to bring into the upstairs master so it lives in my garage. I have also been looking for something a little more quick access to keep either a rifle or pistol in my bedroom. No need to spend another $2k for one gun storage.
    Is it bolted down? I need to bolt mine down.

I won't buy an electronic quick access box yet. I wish my large safe was push button. The next one I buy may have the dual dial, electoonic and standard. I have this VLine under my bed for a long gun. https://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Quick-...-SA+Rifle+Case

I have an AmSec pushbuton pistol safe I bought in 1992. The foam fell apart but the safe is still good to go. I would buy this one of these today if buying just for a pistol.

https://www.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-Han...S4FTTNGJE89P05

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3UAGYSEPP3KE4

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I have a similar cabinet. It works well for what it is. I have little kids at home too & it's perfect for my needs.

Install it in a closet, paint it gray, and put a "Square D" or "Cutler Hammer" emblems on it. No one will be none the wiser.
    That's a great idea.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I have one of the FAS-1 safes within reaching distance of my bed. I like it a lot. My main "must have" requirement was no batteries and the ability for me to open the safe with one hand, in the dark. The cypher lock configuration lets me do that.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For those of you who keep a primary handgun for home defense in a dedicated handgun safe in your bedroom, what do you do if say your watching a movie on the couch in the living / family room?

Wear a holster while gun is on person?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    For some handguns, I've had really good luck with my Viking biometric that I got off of Amazon. I've actually been meaning to do a review on it. It seems that if you treat the fingerprint set up like setting up an iPhone fingerprint ID and just use like 4 fingers it works pretty well. The only time it ever has rejected my fingerprint is when I was really lazy about pressing my finger on it. It also has a battery life indicator and a light inside as well as a set of emergency back up keys. I keep it bolted onto a Stack On eight gun. Neither of these are legit burglary resistant safes but they keep the kids out and should hold up to the quick and unprofessional burglaries that go on where I live.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    For those of you who keep a primary handgun for home defense in a dedicated handgun safe in your bedroom, what do you do if say your watching a movie on the couch in the living / family room?

I take the incredibly small likelihood of someone not only breaking into my house at that time but breaking into it so fast that I can't run to the bedroom into account and leave my gun in the bedroom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have one dog right now, generally we've had two.

I don't arm up to watch TV, although I don't disarm myself if I come in and sit right down.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-26-17 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    I take the incredibly small likelihood of someone not only breaking into my house at that time but breaking into it so fast that I can't run to the bedroom into account and leave my gun in the bedroom.
    I can't find it now, but there is a home CCTV video from May 5th 2011 where SIX burglars all ARMED with handguns kicked in a locked door to commit a home invasion. It took them nine seconds to kick in the locked door and file into the house. It happens that quick.

Luckily in that case the home owner was armed and met them with a volley of fire.

Years ago when my wife and I had a conversation about such things I told her that if she left her G19 in the bedroom, even out on the nightstand and not locked in our handgun safe that she would still not have time to run to the bedroom and get it before the invaders would be on top of her.

Security is about layers, giving you time before they get to you. Putting enough obstacles they have to defeat between you and them to give you time. A good door with the proper hardware and frame will not simply be kicked in like we see in all these viral videos.

Even though I have multiple layers in place, I still always have my dedicated G17 house gun with in arms reach while chalaxing in my casa.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I can't find it now, but there is a home CCTV video from May 5th 2011 where SIX burglars all ARMED with handguns kicked in a locked door to commit a home invasion. It took them nine seconds to kick in the locked door and file into the house. It happens that quick.

Luckily in that case the home owner was armed and met them with a volley of fire.

Years ago when my wife and I had a conversation about such things I told her that if she left her G19 in the bedroom, even out on the nightstand and not locked in our handgun safe that she would still not have time to run to the bedroom and get it before the invaders would be on top of her.

Security is about layers, giving you time before they get to you. Putting enough obstacles they have to defeat between you and them to give you time. A good door with the proper hardware and frame will not simply be kicked in like we see in all these viral videos.

Even though I have multiple layers in place, I still always have my dedicated G17 house gun with in arms reach while chalaxing in my casa.
    And almost all home invasions like that are drug or crime related, not just random hits. The chances of someone busting down your door at random is so incredibly slim it is statistically zero. Do you ever take a shower when your wife is gone? Seems like that would leave you rather vulnerable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was in the same boat a few years ago. I have a good fire rated safe but needed a quick access gun storage to keep the kids out.

I got a Barska biometric pistol safe. It works and does its job. Nothing great but no complaints. It is bigger than I expected and will not fit in my dresser drawer. It is heavy so it might do a number of the hardware of a drawer.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004F...JFL&ref=plSrch

You might look at this. I'm thinking about the secure it brand for a cheap closet safe.
    https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/b...dden-gun-safe/
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast