Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit Carbine vs Sionics Patrol Rifle III

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    If price were the same I'd flip a coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So if you add the least expensive iron sights to the Colt, Magpul MBUS gen 2, that's another $93 (based on pricing from Rainier Arms). Price is getting closer to the Sionics Patrol 3, and, as Iraqgunz pointed out, the Sionics comes with some enhanced components too. Is the $1040 you found include tax? Pinned gas block is nice feature of the Colt.

To answer your original question, which would I choose, I like the enhanced features of the Sionics, so I kinda lean toward their Patrol 3. I have a barrel, trigger and BCG from Sionics, and all are excellent quality. Whichever you choose, I'm sure will be solid choices. My $.02 as a non-mil, non-LE, John Q. Public shooter.

NC

Feedback Score
    Actually, SIONICS may be cheaper than Colt CCU.
    Goto SIONICS' website and order the upper and lower separately; they have blem lower which is $40 cheaper. Then apply 5% off code: GUNSNGEAR to the entire order. If you do the math it's $730 upper + $320 lower, which is $1050, and after 5% off it comes out to $997.5 after 5% off. With the FFL fee and sales tax on lower (if applicable) it could still be cheaper than CCU.

I'm impressed by the accuracy of CCU in Chris Bartocci's video, and I hope Josh@SIONICS can send him a SIONICS rifle to review. If the price is the same, you really can't go wrong with either, Colt rollmark might worth more when you try to resell it but SIONICS does have NPC coated BCG, trigger group, sprinco blue spring, and 1:8 twist barrel.

Now to side track, one other name brand option you can consider is the FN Tactical Carbine II which can be found onine for around $1320. This looks like the mass produced version of Hodge's AU-MOD 1, but I'm not sure if I would spend the extra $300 dollars on it over the two aforementioned rifles.
    Last edited by yrch21; 04-22-17 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tough call. I was in the same boat not too long ago. I went with the CCU mostly out of simplicity and I support my local gun dealer who is a great guy. Got my CCU OTD for a little over a grand and he threw in a bunch of ammo. I also get the roll mark and Colt's first mass produce middy. Great carbine I set up to be my home defense gun.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    If we are going to do a comparison, let's at least be honest.

Last I looked, the Colt CCU does not feature sights. The SIONICS Patrol III has MBUS Pro Sights. In addition you get the NP3 bolt carrier group. The trigger is better than a stock Colt not just IMO but in that of everyone who has tried it. You also get the Sprinco blue spring as standard.
    I made that very clear in the OP that the Sionics features MBUS Pros, coated bolt, and upgraded trigger.

I was unaware of the Sprinco, Will. Thanks for pointing that out. Are there any technical differences you can share? I saw that the barrels are air-gauged. What are the gauge tolerances?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys. Not looking to build an AR. I've done several over the years, but rather wanting a factory gun. This is more of a want than a need, I suppose. I'm going to do a personal experiment and shoot a single AR for everything for a year, other than my home defense gun.

If I go CCU, I'll trade some stuff I don't use for it locally, a friend is an FFL and typically treats me right. If I go Sionics, I'd have to buy it online and have it transferred in. Thanks for the code by the way; that makes it more competitive. My plan for the CCU was to drop one of my SSA-Es in it and whichever will end up with my Vortex Razor 1-6x.

If anything else can be added, feel free. I'll probably decide next month.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the 460$ difference you could get an SSA, and an Arisaka light and mount.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Do Sionics low pro barrels feature pinned gas blocks and chrome lined barrels if yes it seems to me Sionics should be the go to company now a days. Far too many companies are pushing the cheaper nitride options (saves companies $30-$50 over chrome) and most companies are not pinning gas blocks.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I was pointing this out to others, who may have glossed over it before they commented.

Off the top of my head, I am not sure and I would have to look at some of the prints and data. With that said, MrGunsngear did a pretty good review of his experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    I made that very clear in the OP that the Sionics features MBUS Pros, coated bolt, and upgraded trigger.

I was unaware of the Sprinco, Will. Thanks for pointing that out. Are there any technical differences you can share? I saw that the barrels are air-gauged. What are the gauge tolerances?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    We don't pin our blocks, and have yet to see any adverse effects. All the current offerings are chrome lined.

Quote Originally Posted by DSZM4 View Post
    Do Sionics low pro barrels feature pinned gas blocks and chrome lined barrels if yes it seems to me Sionics should be the go to company now a days. Far too many companies are pushing the cheaper nitride options (saves companies $30-$50 over chrome) and most companies are not pinning gas blocks.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I was pointing this out to others, who may have glossed over it before they commented.

Off the top of my head, I am not sure and I would have to look at some of the prints and data. With that said, MrGunsngear did a pretty good review of his experience with it.
    Roger that. I'm really hoping for an accurate AR to use for a scoped carbine course. I've been dealing with a disappointing BCM barrel lately on a home build.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast