Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit Carbine vs Sionics Patrol Rifle III

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Roger that. I'm really hoping for an accurate AR to use for a scoped carbine course. I've been dealing with a disappointing BCM barrel lately on a home build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what most people expect from chrome-lined barrels but I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed with Sionics in that department. There is at least one video in the Sionics thread where the reviewer talks about his accuracy testing of their barrels. The only reason I got rid of my uber accurate Sionics med-con upper was to set my buddy up with a accurate recce upper and replace it with a lw Sionics upper. Having purchased BCM, Colt, Centurion, and Sionics barrels, I feel like the other companies are mostly in a competition to be "as good as", instead of merely "also run".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I'm not sure what most people expect from chrome-lined barrels but I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed with Sionics in that department. There is at least one video in the Sionics thread where the reviewer talks about his accuracy testing of their barrels. The only reason I got rid of my uber accurate Sionics med-con upper was to set my buddy up with a accurate recce upper and replace it with a lw Sionics upper. Having purchased BCM, Colt, Centurion, and Sionics barrels, I feel like the other companies are mostly in a competition to be "as good as", instead of merely "also run".
    A barrel should shoot sub-2.5
    MOA for ten rounds with bulk commercial ammo and 1-1.25 MOA with match ammo.

If I can run my hand loads through it and get 2-3 MOA with the stuff I run on a progressive and 1 MOA with my single stage and match components, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    A barrel should shoot sub-2.5
    MOA for ten rounds with bulk commercial ammo and 1-1.25 MOA with match ammo.

If I can run my hand loads through it and get 2-3 MOA with the stuff I run on a progressive and 1 MOA with my single stage and match components, I'm happy.

I can't really speak for commercial bulk, but my 25.5gr TAC/55gr Hornady reloads seem to stay 2MOAish with the Aimpoint, provided I can chose targets that give a good sight picture to frame the dot in. Mr.GunsnGear's review using their lightweight barrel seemed to meet this requirement as well, and neither of us are using the SSA-E (great trigger, btw). I don't know if I could expect 1 MOA from a chrome lined barrel with me behind the trigger, but at this point, my 55gr loads give groups good enough I'm happy. Running my match loads through my rifle with a RDS and GI trigger might be a waste of quality components at my skill level, though. It seems like 1.2 MOA approaches the threshold of my skill level on an AR, even on my SPR with the SSA-E installed.

I'm interested in seeing how you end up regardless of which rifle you choose at this point. Did I miss which scope you're going to use?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'll be using a Vortex Razor 1-6x I'll be pulling off another rifle I can't get to shoot.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'll be using a Vortex Razor 1-6x I'll be pulling off another rifle I can't get to shoot.
    You ever consider sending that BCM barrel back to them?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Colt Combat Unit Carbine vs Sionics Patrol Rifle III

It has a muzzle device pinned on. I don't blame BCM for the barrels accuracy rather just the combination I have isn't working. A friend sent them a barrel back for poor accuracy and got it back stating 3 MOA was acceptable.

Last edited by tylerw02; 04-22-17 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It has a muzzle device pinned on. I don't blame BCM for the barrels accuracy rather just the combination I have isn't working. A friend sent them a barrel back for poor accuracy and got it back stating 3 MOA was acceptable.
    Thanks for the response, just curious. Appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Thanks for the response, just curious. Appreciate it.
    Roger that.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    SIONICS to continue on your barrels

I havnt seen issues with set screws into dimples myself and have only heard of a few issues ever and without seeing the effected guns who knows the state of the builds. All that said i think you guys should consider it for the OCD guys and up charge extra for it OCD guys will pay the extra for piece of mind. SIONICS isnt trying to compete with Radical or Anderson and is trying to offer a great alternative or even step up from BCM and I think this is a great feature for your market share.
    Last edited by DSZM4; 04-23-17 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Really dumb question: how many rounds were through the BCM barrel? I only ask because of seeing a Noveske barrel that wouldn't shoot in the hands of a guy who I'd seen shoot very well until he used the Noveske set up. He eventually found a burr at the gas port, and scrubbed it with a bore brush until it was gone, resulting in a tack driver. I know this is very apples to oranges, and probably not the cause, but I was surprised to hear of the issue with the Noveske. I've wondered if enough rounds would have removed the burr.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 04-23-17 at 10:28.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast