Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision Rifle Build

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Precision Rifle Build

I wanted to build a .223/5.56 rifle capable of 1 MOA (100 yds) to 2 MOA (500 yards) for target shooting, varmint hunting, etc. The rifle is intended to be used mostly in the prone position and with optics only. I acquired the barrel a couple of years ago when LaRue Tactical was having a sale, so the build has bee evolving since. Lastly, I was inspired by Eurodriver's high wind shooting treatise as goal for the rifle (and the shooter).

Here are the specs:

Upper
    • 18” LaRue Stealth SS barrel, mid-length gas system, Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist
    • SureFire MB556K muzzle brake
    • LaRue low profile gas block
    • Geissele Mk 4 15” hand guard
    • Vltor MUR upper receiver
    • BCM bolt carrier group
    • BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle

Lower
    • Battle Arms Development forged lower
    • BCM lower parts except for Battle Arms Development ambi selector and takedown pins
    • LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger
    • A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green action spring
    • Magpul UBR G2 stock and A5/SR25 Receiver Extension

Accessories
    • Nightforce SHV F1 4x14x50 Mil-R scope with LaRue SPR mount
    • Harris bi-pod

I've got close to 1000 rounds through it so far, and it has been 100% reliable, running in temperature ranges between 23 degrees and 105 degrees. I've achieved 1.25 MOA at 100 yards and am consistently able (80%ish) to hit an 8" steel gong at 500 yards, in moderate wind, like 25 mph cross winds. A little better with light wind.

Attachment 46301Attachment 46302

Attachment 45189Attachment 45190
    Last edited by nightchief; 07-03-17 at 17:42. Reason: Finally!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That's a sweet rifle. I really dig the parts you chose for this build. I'm *almost* done with a similar 18" precision build myself and I went with a NF 2.5-10x32 but may eventually go with more magnification like yours. I did go with a 1st gen UBR on my build after impatience sunk in. Hopefully the 2nd gen is a large enough step up to warrant switching.

Have you had a chance to try the 69gr Black Hills TMK? Markm has a thread on it and it seems to do very well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    That's a sweet rifle. I really dig the parts you chose for this build. I'm *almost* done with a similar 18" precision build myself and I went with a NF 2.5-10x32 but may eventually go with more magnification like yours. I did go with a 1st gen UBR on my build after impatience sunk in. Hopefully the 2nd gen is a large enough step up to warrant switching.

Have you had a chance to try the 69gr Black Hills TMK? Markm has a thread on it and it seems to do very well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Thank you. The BAD lower is the nicest machined lower I have worked with. Nicer than the Colt, BCM and Seekins lowers I have.

I have tried the BH 69 and 77 TMK's...the results haven't been as good as the Hornady 75 gr OTM or BH 77gr OTM...I hijacked part of Markm'a thread regarding this "Problem"...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...K-Review/page7
    NC
    Last edited by nightchief; 04-22-17 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    Wow, I'm impressed! Beautiful rifle...but you got some green tied up into that one!
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed! Beautiful rifle...but you got some green tied up into that one!
    Thank you. I built it over time, so it wasn't "too" painful. Acquired some of the higher dollar items during various sales too.
    NC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nicely done nightchief! Have you tried any of the V-Max loadings? I have two Recce rifles and have seen similar results with SMKs and have been downright disappointed with the Black Hills loadings I've tried. I've been much happier with the V-Max out of both of these rifles. Even the light weight bullets seem to perform well through the 1:7 barrels.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Very nice. I'm starting to collect parts for a similar build. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours. One question, what length gas system does the barrel have?
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 04-23-17 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Very nice. I'm starting to collect parts for a similar build. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours. One question, what length gas system does the barrel have?
    LaRue 18" barrel is a mid length gas system. If I was doing this rifle again, I would get a 20" rifle length barrel, such as a White Oak or Lothar Walther. The 18 runs fine, in fact perfectly so far, as I've had no malfunctions. It seems to be accurate with the right load. I rarely shoot it under 300 yards, really just to verify the zero, and would like to stretch it out to 800 yards. I think a 20" would be better.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Nicely done nightchief! Have you tried any of the V-Max loadings? I have two Recce rifles and have seen similar results with SMKs and have been downright disappointed with the Black Hills loadings I've tried. I've been much happier with the V-Max out of both of these rifles. Even the light weight bullets seem to perform well through the 1:7 barrels.
    I haven't tried any match loads under 68 grain. Outback 223 69 gr SMK shoots well from this barrel, and I like those account they're relatively inexpensive, though I've had trouble finding them lately. I should try v-max or blitzking 55 gr loads at some point just to see how they shoot. I rarely do anything with this rifle at less than 300 though, so I've leaned toward 69 gr and heavier for the distance stability.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    nice build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast