Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel torque magpul wrench

Feedback Score

Barrel torque magpul wrench

Being that the hole for the torque wrench is 2.25" from the barrel nut wrench portion, I assume the torque wrench should be inline with the magpul wrench, not 90 degrees, correct?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Being that the hole for the torque wrench is 2.25" from the barrel nut wrench portion, I assume the torque wrench should be inline with the magpul wrench, not 90 degrees, correct?
    90 degrees is correct. If you have the torque wrench inline with the magpul wrench, then the torque values will be higher than you expect.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What Will said. It wouldn't matter if hole and socket of the wrench were 1 or 3 inches apart it's always 90 degrees. You can calculate the corrected value to use it inline but it isn't worth the effort.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Per 9-1005-319-23&P the torque wrench is inline with the wrench. I wouldn't overthink this.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Per 9-1005-319-23&P the torque wrench is inline with the wrench. I wouldn't overthink this.
    Shit. Now you guys got me lost. I have what I cosnider to be 3 knowledgeable posters disagreeing. I ended up using it inline and final torque was around 50ft lb so I guess it wouldn't matter.

IG, can you confirm inline and that that wasn't a typo? I know the castle nut goes 90, but inline barrel wrench?

Feedback Score
    You can find people online doing the math and YouTube videos demonstrating why 90 degrees is correct, regardless what some government manual says.

ETA: I wonder if the "manual" takes into account the wide variety of wrenches on the market today, or if it's specific to certain tools.
    Last edited by jackblack73; 04-22-17 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yea, screw them military manuals. I mean, what the **** do they know about anything anyway, amirite?

Follow the damn manual and everything will be just fine. It's not they wrote the damn book on the subject or anything.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Shit. Now you guys got me lost. I have what I cosnider to be 3 knowledgeable posters disagreeing. I ended up using it inline and final torque was around 50ft lb so I guess it wouldn't matter.

IG, can you confirm inline and that that wasn't a typo? I know the castle nut goes 90, but inline barrel wrench?
    Read his last sentence. The spec, regardless of the wrench placement, is a very wide range. It's like a 50lb window and you basically have two choices dictated by your gas tube. Loose or tight. Pretty sure you will be much happier with the results of the 'tight' option.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    If you want the most accurate torque value that is detailed by the instructions for the handguard you're installing, then the torque wrench should be 90 degrees off the barrel nut wrench.

Unless I'm mistaken, 9-1005-319-23&P refers to a GI barrel nut wrench and a normal milspec barrel nut, for which the torque value is basically irrelevant once past 30-35 ft lbs anyways, since it has to be timed to the gas tube hole. But the inline orientation presumably takes into account the difference.

Using the two wrenches in an inline orientation will result in a higher actual torque on the nut than what you set the torque wrench to. However, it's not that much if the torque socket is just a couple inches from the center of the barrel nut wrench. If you want 40 ft lbs and end up with 45, it's not detrimental to anything.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The Colt drawing says 30 ft-lbs, not to exceed 80 ft-lbs. No mention of tools or anything else. This would indicate that the nut is to be torqued to 30 to 80 ft-lbs, however you choose to get there.

And, while the manual shows the wrench in-line it also states "Torque is measured when both wrenches are used together," indicating that the length of the wrench must be accounted for when torquing the nut.
    Last edited by lysander; 04-22-17 at 18:17.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast