Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barrel torque magpul wrench

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    23&P barrel.jpg

FYI, the DMWR doesn't say anything about how the wrenches are supposed to be used, so assembly standards revert back to the 23&P.

01 DMWR barrel.jpg
    01 DMWR barrel 2.jpg
    Last edited by GrumpyM4; 04-22-17 at 19:42.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm going with IG on this one. When a special tool is required for the job, Army manuals are written so torque is applied with the special tool inline with the torque wrench set at the stated value. If the length of the special tool is not to be included in the torque value, the manual will state that the special tool will be set to 90 degrees. This is done to simplify the task and reduce errors
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Per 9-1005-319-23&P the torque wrench is inline with the wrench. I wouldn't overthink this.
    Not trying to overthink anything IG. I have NO idea WTF 9-1005-319-23&P is but I do understand physics. The torque specs call for the nut to be tightened to a certain value. Does 9-1005-319-23&P specify the torque value inline with a given wrench?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    This is done to simplify the task and reduce errors
    Not to mention they went to the trouble to draw the forward assist, charging handle, vice and it's mechanism.... One would expect they drew the two wrenches in that manner for a reason.

As well, "measured together" very well means.... place the two tools "together" as the picture indicates then tighten and "measure" the torque as any more complicated arrangements will make no difference in context.Thus "Torque is measured when both wrenches are used together," ...

Reading anything else into it or trying to apply torque wrench science to it, it simply not necessary and only serves to complicate what is a basic non critical task like putting your pants on.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I have NO idea WTF 9-1005-319-23&P is but I do understand physics. ...
    I don;t know if this the most current or not... deleted url

OOPS,, sorry.. try this one.... http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MIL...4%20manual.pdf
    Last edited by tb-av; 04-22-17 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The torque specs call for the nut to be tightened to a certain value.
    Then you need to contact the manufacturer of your nut and ask them specifically how they want you to hold your wrench in order to achieve that certain value.

The standard Military nut has no specific value... it's a large range as several of us have tried to tell you.

========
    per OP that the Magpull wrench is 2.25 additional length. Assume 12" wrench. Spec says go to 30 then up to 80 as needed to align scallops for gas tube.

30 x 12 desired torque times wrench length. 360
    ----------------------------------------------------------- divided by
    12 + 2.25 wrench + addition 14.25

WRENCH SETTING = 360/14.25 or 25.26lbs to render 30 lbs at nut.

OR configure wrench at 90deg.

Either way you have 50lbs of wiggle room up to 80lbs.... IOW... just the "overage wiggle room" is 166% of the initial spec. So the 4.74lbs that the 2.25" adds is a moot point in context.
    Last edited by tb-av; 04-22-17 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    Brownells shows it "inline" with torque wrench

http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Mag....htm?lid=16933

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm going with IG on this one. When a special tool is required for the job, Army manuals are written so torque is applied with the special tool inline with the torque wrench set at the stated value. If the length of the special tool is not to be included in the torque value, the manual will state that the special tool will be set to 90 degrees. This is done to simplify the task and reduce errors
    But the OP was not about a special tool, it was about the Magpul wrench. What if the hole for the torque wrench is 4 inches away, or 6? Even with only the most basic understanding of physics it's apparent that the length will change the torque value. That's why the answer to the OP's question is 90 degrees.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not trying to overthink anything IG. I have NO idea WTF 9-1005-319-23&P is but I do understand physics. The torque specs call for the nut to be tightened to a certain value. Does 9-1005-319-23&P specify the torque value inline with a given wrench?
    If you have no idea what the 23&P is, perhaps you shouldn't be commenting in this thread.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Magpul wrench is a special tool. The length is not 4 or 6 inches.

He asked a specific question regarding the barrel nut with a specific wrench adding 2.25". That means the 'overage error' is way less than the Mil standard and even less than say a BCM KMR. I expect it's lees for most others as well. So in context it doesn't matter.

He wasn't looking for a lesson in torque wrench technology. He just wanted to know if using it inline is ok. Which it is. He obviously knows it can be used at 90deg or he wouldn't have mentioned that.

Just re-read his full question. Paraphrase... The MP wrench only adds a couple inches.. For the barrel nut, it's ok to use inline right? Rather than 90deg, which is unwieldy?

The answer is ...sure, it will only add a few pounds which is fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast