Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk319 SOST or Hornady TAP 155gr AMAX?

Feedback Score

Mk319 SOST or Hornady TAP 155gr AMAX?

For my Galil Ace with a 16" barrel. Looking for the best combination of accuracy (out to 600m), penetration of intermediate barriers, and terminal ballistics.

Mk318 came highly recommended in 5.56 so does it's big brother, the Mk319, make the cut? Or is the 155gr AMAX just a better all-around bullet?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-22-17 at 14:57.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only thing I was think that the MK319 would do better would be barrier penetration. I will say from personal experience on game though that the Amax in both 155 and 168 is an extremely lethal bullet on game at both middle and long range, even at carbine velocities. The gel tests on Hornsby's website for the TAP say it all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    The only thing I was think that the MK319 would do better would be barrier penetration. I will say from personal experience on game though that the Amax in both 155 and 168 is an extremely lethal bullet on game at both middle and long range, even at carbine velocities. The gel tests on Hornsby's website for the TAP say it all.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Hornady TAP designed for intermediate barrier penetration too?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Hornady TAP designed for intermediate barrier penetration too?
    No, the AMAX is a thin jacketed match load that will fragment. While the rear copper slug of the mk319 will over penetrate. They do not fill that same role at all.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-23-17 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No, the AMAX is a thin jacketed match load that will fragment. While the rear copper slug of the mk319 will over penetrate. They do not fill that same role at all.
    Hornady's website mentions auto glass deflection in it's description of the TAP AMAX:

The 155 gr. A-MAX® TAP Precision® cartridge offers match accuracy with a high ballistic coefficient to provide superior long range performance and accuracy. This bullet performs very similarly to the 168 gr. A-MAX®bullet, providing controlled and impressive soft tissue expansion without over penetration. The 155 gr. A-MAX® penetrates glass with minimal deflection and serves as a great alternative to the 168 gr. A-MAX® for Law Enforcement duty applications.

Not being argumentative, just trying to decide between the two as to which best meets my desired specs (see OP).
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-23-17 at 09:10.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Hornady's website mentions auto glass deflection in it's description of the TAP AMAX:

The 155 gr. A-MAX® TAP Precision® cartridge offers match accuracy with a high ballistic coefficient to provide superior long range performance and accuracy. This bullet performs very similarly to the 168 gr. A-MAX®bullet, providing controlled and impressive soft tissue expansion without over penetration. The 155 gr. A-MAX® penetrates glass with minimal deflection and serves as a great alternative to the 168 gr. A-MAX® for Law Enforcement duty applications.

Not being argumentative, just trying to decide between the two as to which best meets my desired specs (see OP).
    Deflection refers to the amount of POI change after encountering a barrier. Like how a bullet tends to hit low when shooting into a vehicle through the windshield, not the terminal effects after encountering said barrier. Basically treat the amax like you would an OTM. If barriers are a concern you're better off with a bonded soft point.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-23-17 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    While a bonded load will be better, the amax does alright through barriers. I guess it depends what kind of barriers you expect to encounter.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...-tap-precision

Feedback Score
    I use the SOST bullet in my .300Blk as Midway priced them very well a couple years back. From a 16" DD barrel with a 4x scope they are MOAish at 100 yards. The nose and core blow off into nasty shards when shot into water jugs. The solid base weighs @60 grains and will Swiss Cheese auto body and windshield at 25 yards (.300Blk velocity). Hornady keeps trying to update their TAP bullets, maybe they'll get it right but the price will be up there.

For serious ammo in a 7.62x51 I'd look at Nosler's bonded solid base load using a larger version of the 5.56 BSB load the FBI and Marshals use.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/ammun...-run-20ct.html
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 04-23-17 at 12:54. Reason: Add link

Feedback Score
    I am all over Mk318 for my 5.56mm go-to loads. I would think it's big brother the Mk319 would be great as well but at 130gr it's kind of light-for-caliber and I wonder what it'll do accuracy-wise out to 600m? Not to mention no matter what round I get it'll be from a 16" tube so velocities won't be as advertised.

Then one other consideration is what ammo is okay for semi-autos and what isn't; the Mk319 is and I believe the TAP AMAX is too. Some others aren't (not sure about the Nosler 168gr bonded rounds in the above link).
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-23-17 at 13:36.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    I use the SOST bullet in my .300Blk as Midway priced them very well a couple years back. From a 16" DD barrel with a 4x scope they are MOAish at 100 yards. The nose and core blow off into nasty shards when shot into water jugs. The solid base weighs @60 grains and will Swiss Cheese auto body and windshield at 25 yards (.300Blk velocity). Hornady keeps trying to update their TAP bullets, maybe they'll get it right but the price will be up there.

For serious ammo in a 7.62x51 I'd look at Nosler's bonded solid base load using a larger version of the 5.56 BSB load the FBI and Marshals use.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/ammun...-run-20ct.html
    The Galil Ace is a 1:12 twist, that Nosler ammo requires a 1:10. Too bad 'cause that's a great price.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast