Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The story of my overgassed DD MK18 & DD CS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The story of my overgassed DD MK18 & DD CS

I purchased a Daniel Defense complete MK18 upper in December 2012, as you know these uppers are extremely overgassed, per DD they were ported at .082".

I sent emails asking DD if there was anything they can do as my barrel was so overgassed, I hated to shoot it. I would send an email once a year and got a standard response that there was nothing we can do.

Until recently I heard (mostly here on M4C) that they fixed their gas ports size and are replacing the older barrels with the new smaller ported barrels.

I sent a new email at the end of may, and got a new response, and they stated they would fix it with a barrel with a port size of .072.

I sent them my upper back, and they covered the shipping, which I didn't ask for or expect them to do. They told me it would be a 10 to 14 business days for them to send it back. On day 10 I received the shipment notification.

I shipped it in the standard cardboard box that the uppers (used to?) ship in. I didn't get that cardboard box back, what I got instead was a new hard case.they also included a new DD mag, and a vinyl decal.

I opened the package also to find that they replaced my dust cover with a new DD polymer dust cover, they also sent my old one back with it.

Now that I was excited about all that, time to see about the barrel, I tore the upper apart and got the best measurements that I could. The best I could gauge is a gas port of .073-.074 ish, which isn't far off from their reported .072. Ill chuck that to human error and agree with the .072 gas port size.

They also replaced the gas block, which was more than I asked for and more than I expected.

All in all it seems that Daniel Defense did me a solid, and went over and beyond what I expected, thank you to Dana B for helping me out this time, and a even bigger thanks to DD for standing behind their products and customers.

Tomorrow I'll take it to the range and see how it goes.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 06-30-17 at 23:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Errors brought to you via autocorrect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Dang they really went overboard. That's some good CS right there.

I'm curios to hear your feedback on how it shoots compared to before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought my mk18 upper at the same time you did and have had similar issues. I'll see if they can fix mine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't had a single issue with my DD but I'm glad to hear they take care of their customers years later, very surprised about them sending a mag and replacing the dust cover.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Awesome service after the sale is what separates the best from mere assemblers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Whomever spec'd the port at .082 in the first place should be shot in the face. That is RIDICULOUSLY over sized. A 10.5 will run fine 10 thousandths smaller.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had a similar experience recently. A good friend of mine purchased a complete Mk18 pistol from DD last year. I purchased a Mk18 complete upper receiver from them at the beginning of June. I noticed a huge difference in gas to the face, and ejection. Once I read this thread, it all made sense. My friend has never had issues with reliability, but you can tell a huge difference when shooting both suppressed and un-suppressed.

DD customer service is top notch, and in my experience, they go way beyond the call of duty to get their customers taken care of!
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Whomever spec'd the port at .082 in the first place should be shot in the face. That is RIDICULOUSLY over sized. A 10.5 will run fine 10 thousandths smaller.
    Yea, even at the .072 still bigger than I want but better then .081-2.

I'd Iove getting a proper .070 DD barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now that's exceptional service. Congrats to both you and Daniel Defense.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast