Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BCG eats gas rings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
    I bought a Freedom Upper way back in June of 2015 that had this same problem. After replacing the rings twice with BCM rings I saw this thread and discovered that I wasn't crazy for thinking the rings were wearing out way too quickly. I emailed PSA and after about a week and a half they emailed me back asking for my info so they could issue a return lable, the next day I had my return label with another email that stated I would have a new BCG sent out as soon as my old one was received. I would have to say that is pretty good service for an item that I purchased two years ago. Will update when i receive the new BCG
    That is some excellent service. Especially considering the age of the BCG in question. I've not done a ton of business with PSA. Mostly ammo, mags and a few components. On one occasion I did have an issue, and they went above and beyond to make it right.

Andy - Glad to hear that they turned it around quickly for you, and that the replacement appears to have resolved the issue. Let us know if anything changes.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've heard, actually read, enough horror stories on here about PSA shipping times and service that I wonder if PSA got enough negative feedback from here and other sources that they made a concentrated effort and stepped up their game.

If so, good. I hope they understand that a change in perception will not come over night.

I've used PSA stuff for numerous builds, generally LPK's and Lowers plus the odd ammo and magazine order, and I haven't had any problems with unduly long shipping time. I'm currently waiting for the weather to cool out of triple digits to really wring out the PSA Freedom upper I bought for $159.00.

Recently I've used several Alexandria Pro-Fab lowers for builds, largely because they are reasonably priced and don't have logos and other crap all over them, just what BATFE requires.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have had to replace 2 sets of gas rings in my *cough* PSA "premium" BCG. After approximately 300 rounds the first time and around 500 the second time. The second set of gas rings was BCM. I know that gas rings are expendable, but every 3-500 rounds is ridiculous. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve the problem? My assumption is that the carrier has a rough spot I cannot see and I should keep the bolt as a spare and trash the carrier. What else should I check? I really dont think I will get satisfaction from a vendor who has an email address that is never answered.

Thank you
    Andy

P.S. The "M4" carbine is perfectly reliable, with or without 3 gas rings.

PPS. PSA/FN premium 16" M4 upper, Anderson lower, PSA carbine receiver ext., BCM H2 Buffer and action spring.
    I have the same problem with my PSA. I just keep gas rings on hand and drive on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just an update on this problem. I sent my old BCG back to PSA in June and they promptly sent me a brand new one. Unfortunately, I had to leave my guns for a few months and I only just now got to put some rounds through the gun this week.

The new BCG appears to be working well after seven mags (about how many rounds it would take to chew the old gas rings to shit).

It's good that they fixed the problem I had, but as I've said in nearly every PSA thread on this site DONT BOTHER ROLLING THE DICE WITH THEM it hasn't ever worked for me, so I doubt you'll have better luck than I've had.

As a side note, the BCG I received from PSA was completely bone dry and the phosphate job or whatever the coating they use is extremely rough and unlike any of the BCM BCGs I have. Odd and ugly, but I doubt it'll affect function.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had an Illinois parts house bcg in the mid 1990's that the first 2 rounds mangled 2 sets of rings. Apparently a bur that got knocked off because set 3 lasted a few thousand rounds till I sold it.

Never had an issue with PSA (including 4 premium BCG's) other than no set screw dimples on a gas blocked barrel. Even the shop times were reasonable.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 10-12-17 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    I had an Illinois parts house bcg in the mid 1990's that the first 2 rounds mangled 2 sets of rings. Apparently a bur that got knocked off because set 3 lasted a few thousand rounds till I sold it.

Never had an issue with PSA (including 4 premium BCG's) other than no set screw dimples on a gas blocked barrel. Even the shop times were reasonable.
    The only problems I've ever had with PSA parts are two bolt catches not fitting, a trigger that wanted to go full auto about once per mag, and this BCG that went through a set of gas rings per range trip. I've come to the conclusion that their in house parts are garbage.

Shipping times have never been bad for me though, and all of the other things I've bought from them (mags, ammo, etc) have been perfectly okay.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456