Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG eats gas rings

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Except the PSA track record is well known. It's why we don't lock threads when we hear about the carrier keys loosening on a Bushmaster or the castle nut coming loose.

Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    If it was a BCM BCG, one of the mods would have already closed this thread and said you must contact the manufacturer first.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I once had PSA take 3 months to get me a return shipping label for the wrong ammo then sent me.

Why people still buy #$% from them, I don't know.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    ~ 20 orders with zero issues, all delivered within a week. That's why.

If I took on every negative experience I've read on the internet as my own, there would be no one left to buy from.

At the end of the day, some company's mistakes get a pass while that same mistake made of others are used as a testament to their brand.

The experience of others does hold some relevance, but my own experience is the ultimate decider; besides, I never did like the taste of Kool-Aid.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's the carrier.

I always cover this in class. I never have to remember to address gas ring life because I can depend on the question coming up. There are ring-eating carriers out there and there's not much to be done about it. The bore that the rings ride in is spec'd out to a 32 micro finish which essentially mans, "hone it. Hone it real good and smooth". The carrier bore machining is even spec'd especially to facilitate the honing operation.

If you wanted a custom-made tool for removing metal from the outside of gas rings, you might take a piece of metal, bore it out and leave it kinda rough, harden it, then chrome plate it. Then you'd take another piece of metal to hold the gas rings say three at t time, in a groove.....

So. Bottom line, some are rough. I believe it's a corner cutting thing and a lot of them showed up after the last panic, like the faceted outside profile in place of a radius (no harm in that one). Save the time it takes to hone and BTW then ya don't have to have the dang machinery for it either. Leave it rougher, and then chrome plate it, and you have just created the perfect gas ring wearer-outer.

These could be honed or stoned out smoother but yes, you'd lose chrome. If I had one that's what I'd do as long as the bore didn't go way oversize. That would depend where it started, I really doubt that more than a half-thou per side would be necessary and even if you wound up 3-4 thou oversized I bet it'd still work.

Test for this by running something back and forth in the bore (I use the firing pin, a couple strokes aren't going to hurt anything). You can hear a roughie go "zzzt, zzzzt" over the turned finish.

Feedback Score
    In your experience, how many rounds does it take for the carrier to simply polish itsself from use?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    15-20k rounds fired in the last thirty years.....I've only had one carrier chew up gas rings.
    It was a defective Bushmaster bolt carrier, was about 12 years ago. Chatter marks were visible in the carrier bore.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I could not say. To hazard and answer, it would be very dependent upon where it starts in terms of micro finish. I think a serious ring-eater will not wear in enough. One that is perfect will get better. One that is 20% towards ring-eater roughness might wear itself into compliance to some degree, but-- that bore is file hard plus chrome which is off the Rockwell C scale in hardness. Gas rings are way soft by comparison.

Feedback Score
    OP ... have you examined the inside of the bolt carrier yet? I'd be interested in how mild/severe any roughness is.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just re-reading the OP's post, 300 the first time and 500 the second time.... I would say that curve will not continue. When we're beating down sharp edges there is a lo of progress at first but it tapers off.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I once had PSA take 3 months to get me a return shipping label for the wrong ammo then sent me.

Same experience here. I was missing parts from a $300 order. I contacted them via email and told them the issue. They sent me a copy of my invoice and told me I received everything. Nope. I actually had to highlight on the invoice to show that I indeed didn't get all my parts. The lack of reading comprehension on their part was astonishing. 2 months roll by and nothing. Contact them again and they said it shipped along with the tracking #. Checked the tracking # and sure enough they did......to the wrong address in Ohio(I don't even live in or close to OH). Another email went out saying that all you had to do was look at my address from the invoice. I corresponded with 6 different customer service people(I'm surprised they have that many). Shorty story long, I got my parts 3 months later.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast