Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should I step into the FAL world ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
    If you want a complete rifle look for a SAR-48.
    The SA SAR-48 Bush gun with Para folder is on my "one day" list.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Wasn't the FN semi auto M-16 pretty much a hobby rifle?
    No, that was fake news related to a post on this very site based on a "look over" pre-release.

The FN15 that came to market checked all the blocks for the TDP'ers (a group to which we all belong, to some degree). This was confirmed to me in an email by FNH USA Customer Service circa-that-time and also proved true once they came to market.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy-Reticle View Post
    The DSA Voyager would not be a bad choice for a first FAL.
    I recommend the Voyager- especially if you can look one over prior to purchase.

I purchased a 16" DSA MCR carbine many years ago that was all in house parts, Barney purple aluminum lower, etc.

I purchased a 16" DSA Voyager about a year ago as a knockaround gun- and it had a Belgian bolt and BCG on a Type I upper.

The Voyager is TEN TIMES the gun for slightly more than ONE HALF the price.

(The Para kit was junk though and had to go back to DSA)

Feedback Score
    I have several FAL's and an L1A1. Great rifles. Probably the softest shooting 7.62x51 semi out there. It's no longer the golden era when you could buy kits for $200 and Imbel receivers for $199, but there are bargains to be had. The FAL Files, specifically the FN subforum, will give you a lot of education in a short period of time.

I have limited myself to milsurp magazines. I have heard that the polymer magazines made by "Moses" work well. I have heard enough stories regarding the DSA manufactured magazines that I consider them hit or miss in anything but a DSA rifle. I had an Imbel para in 7.62 and one in 5.56. I sold them both when I wanted to put more money down on my house. I miss those guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I am usually disappointed with something like an UZI, HK91, Garand, M1 carbine, AUG, FN-49, SVD, etc.
    They fall into the very cool to want, neat to have, but a pain in the ass to set up, run, sight in, etc.
    Just curious, because I'm looking this direction myself in the future, but exactly what are the foibles of AUGs? I haven't owned one (and won't if it's not worth it) so I'm wondering what makes them not simple to run and make work well?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234