Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumb (my opinion) department duty firearm policy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    My agency encouraged using the department issued service pistol in competition while off duty. It was clearly written in department policy and the purpose was to encourage maintaining proficiency. Unfortunately, issuing ammunition for off duty practice and competition was not budgeted.
    This is the mindset both agencies I worked for had. One, my first, budgeted 100 rounds a month per officer and was okay if I issued more to the guys who used it. My last boss had no problems with me going to the range everyday and shooting 'his' ammo. His mindset was competition and practice for competition just made us better trainers. None of us really took full advantage of that. I did more than most. Even when we had to start logging out every round shot, I never bumped up against 'you are using too much.'
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-25-17 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some agencies are concerned about liability with a capital L. That is unfortunate.

My agency encouraged using the department issued service pistol in competition while off duty. It was clearly written in department policy and the purpose was to encourage maintaining proficiency. Unfortunately, issuing ammunition for off duty practice and competition was not budgeted.

We were not authorized to use the patrol carbine in off duty competition. I believe it was because of public perception of the "evil black rifle".
    It has nothing to do with that... this shift is relatively new. I will just say mistakes were made and that is why most are adopting this policy.

Feedback Score
    I was lucky when I was a deputy, issued handgun was .357 mag along with 125 grain HP .357 mg ammo. But you didn't even have to ask to carry your own revolver as long as it was Colt, Ruger or Smith and wesson. Back up handgun was what ever you wanted, zero restriction. A bunch of us carried rifles, mainly AR's. Some of the deputies that were out in the sticks carried HK91 instead.

In Israel is where it got really restrictive. Ball ammo only. Stock pistols and could only be shot at a police range with an instructor on the range. No range use without an instructor. But since I was an instructor I could shoot when ever I wanted. Which didn't apply to my first 11 years as we shot so much, going back to the range was so far down my list as it never happened. The last 14 years I was commanding a lesser unit, that compared to most units shot a lot. But I was done with hours of shooting every day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Took two USCP friends to the range this am, they wanted to practice for upcoming Q's. Their Department Policy prohibits using their duty firearm on public|private ranges. So they purchased a G22 for their public|private shooting.

In my opinion that is a dumb frigin policy.

Wonder if any other departments have a similar policy?
    More common than you'd think.

I would be delighted to buy as many replacement guns or parts as troop could wear out. Take your friends and family shooting with them while you're at it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Some agencies are concerned about liability with a capital L. That is unfortunate.

We were not authorized to use the patrol carbine in off duty competition. I believe it was because of public perception of the "evil black rifle".
    Years ago our police chief issued and unofficial official directive. Officers were not allowed to shoot in an event that didn't have a LE/ Military class. I understood his position. Almost without exception the cops finished at the bottom of the score sheets. With a LE/Mil class they were separated from the guys who really know how to shoot. Just because you have a badge doesn't mean you know how to shoot.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Same with us, agency range/ammo/instructors. That seems to be the standard policy with all Fed LEO's (0083's, not agents/investigators).
    This is definitely not the case with my agency the USPP.

I find it hard to understand the liability fear. If they issue the weapon and allow you to take it home the liability door is already wide open. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 04-25-17 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I leave my duty gun, a G22, at work most of the time. I carry my issued back up gun, a 9mm Shield, off duty when and where legal.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    This is definitely not the case with my agency the USPP.

I find it hard to understand the liability fear. If they issue the weapon and allow you to take it home the liability door is already wide open. David
    I've chatted with a number of your officers on more than one occasion in the DC area. All stand up folks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This is the mindset both agencies I worked for had. One, my first, budgeted 100 rounds a month per officer and was okay if I issued more to the guys who used it. My last boss had no problems with me going to the range everyday and shooting 'his' ammo. His mindset was competition and practice for competition just made us better trainers. None of us really took full advantage of that. I did more than most. Even when we had to start logging out every round shot, I never bumped up against 'you are using too much.'
    This is how my agency is. Well used to be with the ammo. Budget cuts really killed our ammo purchase. I used to shoot 100-200 rounds a week at the academy/our range. We dont need to have an instructor present either. Practice outside of work is highly encouraged.

Only weird policy we have is we have to carry a duty issued gun off duty unless going to or from the range/hunting. Nobody is really worried about it as it's only a written and Im not sure it's even really enforced.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Same with us, agency range/ammo/instructors. That seems to be the standard policy with all Fed LEO's (0083's, not agents/investigators).
    Not us anymore, thankfully. The change occurred last year IIRC.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast