Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon Accupower 1-4 vs Nightforce 1-4 FC2/FC3

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Trijicon Accupower 1-4 vs Nightforce 1-4 FC2/FC3

So I hate these "versus" threads but I'm at a loss. I've checked my local dealers and no one has both (or either for that matter) in stock to compare. I've searched the forum and found a lot of relevant info. However, I'm looking specifically for someone who has firsthand experience with BOTH the Nightforce NXS and Trijicon Accupower models listed in the title.

I'm looking specifically for a 1-4x variable power optic that will be primarily used for action carbine/2-gun matches. With that being said I know both models mentioned aren't daylight bright, but out of the two which is brighter? Which has the least distortion at 1x? Was one reticle easier to pick up than the other?

Most stages at local club are typically 2-50yds, however there are typically a few stages that go out to 550yds. I'm not concerned about 4x being inadequate as I shot in the Iron Sight Division last year and didn't have any trouble at those distances. I MAY use this optic to occasionally shoot High Power under the new rules which is the main reason it has to be a max of 4x.

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    I would honestly go with the accupoint line, unless you're dead set on a BDC. Accupoint's are lighter and daylight bright. I run a TR24 with a green triangle in 3gun and it's great for speed I also have a TR24 with german crosshair that makes shooting at distance easier but it you want to try presidents 100 type stuff with the rule changes I would rock a mil dot accupoint. My buddy has a accupower 1-4 and I like it just wish it was bright like my 1-8 accupower.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I've got an Accupower 1-4x with red reticle and I like it for what it is. Like anything Trijicon, it is built like a tank. I am currently eyeballing some 1-6x LPV's and the Viper PST II is getting some good reviews, as is the EOTech line of LPV's. I get a pro deal on both, so one or both are in my future. I am also looking for a new 1-8x or 2.5-10x for my Recce rifle and new Accupower 1-8x and the EOTech 2.5-10x are top contenders.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Stay away from the accupower mil square. It is unuseable.

See my review -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/04/trijico...er-1-4x24.html

Also if you are shooting out to 550y, I'd suggest something in the 1-6x range. If you do not need BDC and you do not care the overall "combat" quality of the optic as you are shooting competition, then maybe something cheap like the strike eagle?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Brighter: Accupower by a hair

Least distortion at 1x: Accupower. Two eyes open revealed no distortion. It's biggest selling point.

Easier reticle: which one on the Accupower? The FC in the NF is great.

I sold the Accupower and kept the nightforce. The Accupower clicks aren't solid and the scope feels less robust (I didn't test for actual robustness). I consider it a solid budget scope.

For me the NF is a more solid optic all around with less cluttered reticle, firmer clicks and able throw lever. The price reflects this. The NF distortion at 1x is mild the reticle easy to see unilluminated.

For your purposes, get a used Accupower. They take a price hit on the used market. Try it. If you don't like it, you won't lose much.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks so much for this input. Very much appreciated. Couple things to clarify...

Leaning towards Accupower instead of Accupoint due to reticle, feel like the Accupower is more usable at distance. Also, if I have capped turrets, I'd prefer a BDC type reticle or one with hash marks.

As far as the Accupower reticle I'm leaning towards the red segmented circle. I can get a good deal on both Nightforce and Trijicon, but my main concerns are reticle speed/brightness and usability with both eyes open. Next priority would be ability for holdovers at distance and/or ease of adjustment.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 04-25-17 at 12:08.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    i have an nxs 1-4 with the fc-2 reticle and a 1-8 accupower with the segmented circle reticle , it's in the ffp vs the sfp on the 1-4.

i think fledge covered it pretty well above. for competition i would probably go with the accupower , for hd i would go with the nxs. the accupower has the edge in glass clarity , brighter illumination , truer 1x , and a better eye box but the fc-2 reticle is fast and bold enough to use without illumination. i only use the illumination on my nxs when i'm shooting indoors or outdoors at dusk.

where in nova are you ?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_1iviper View Post
    i have an nxs 1-4 with the fc-2 reticle and a 1-8 accupower with the segmented circle reticle , it's in the ffp vs the sfp on the 1-4.

i think fledge covered it pretty well above. for competition i would probably go with the accupower , for hd i would go with the nxs. the accupower has the edge in glass clarity , brighter illumination , truer 1x , and a better eye box but the fc-2 reticle is fast and bold enough to use without illumination. i only use the illumination on my nxs when i'm shooting indoors or outdoors at dusk.

where in nova are you ?
    Why 1-4x NXS for HD and 1-8x Accupower for competition? And do you not consider the 1-8x reticle bold enough to pick up without illumination?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-26-17 at 06:24.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_1iviper View Post

where in nova are you ?
    Thanks for the input! I'm located in Warrenton VA btw.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Why 1-4x NXS for HD and 1-8x Accupower for competition? And do you not consider the 1-8x reticle bold enough to pick up without illumination?
    sorry for the late reply man , don't know how i missed this

either optic could be used in both roles really but the nxs with the fc-2 is hard to beat on 1x whereas the segmented circle reticle works better as you crank up the magnification , it also has better holds than the fc-2. the nxs line has also been around what seems like forever and have shown to be very robust scopes whereas the accupower line is relatively new , especially the 1-8.

i think trijicon has done a pretty good job with the segmented circle in the ffp but where it struggles a bit is on 1x. i would have preferred the main horizontal line of the reticle to extend all the way to the edges. generally it works well without illumination. but at 1x it does help to keep track of your aiming point if shooting from a bright area into a shaded/darker area. i usually run the illumination on setting 3 or 4 in bright daylight , the center aiming cross is quite small at 1x and can get lost in a dark background.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast