Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss surgery

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Weight loss surgery is an excellent option for those who are unable to volitionally sustain the lifestyle change necessary to achieve and sustain a healthy weight, which is about 94% of the population. It's important to emphasize that it won't make you lose weight...it will help you to effect a lifestyle change, diet/exercise, and that is what makes you lose weight. The biggest mistake you can make would be to go into such an adventure with the thought that all you have to do is have the surgery and you will automatically lose the weight and keep it off. It doesn't work that way.

The place to start is to find a Bariatric program in your area. You do not need a referral or the blessing of your doctor. Be sure that the program and the surgeons are accredited by MBSAQIP. Give them a call and find out when they are having their next public informational seminar and go to that...it will be an overview of the disease, the operations, the potential complications, and their program. The program is subsequently designed around your health problems, if any, as well as your expectations and your insurance company's requirements. It can be a long process. Be very careful about the centers you might see that advertise outpatient sleeve gastrectomy and definitely stay away from the Lap Band. Call your insurance company and ask them if your policy has benefits covering weight loss surgery. They'll likely tell you that that determination is make when pre-authorization is requested, but you tell them that you only want to be sure that your policy doesn't specifically exclude it.

Weight loss surgery is a great choice for many people, a bad choice for some. A good Bariatric program will help you to make sure which category you fall into. It can truly be a life changer. Bariatric surgery is only about 20% of what I do, but it the most gratifying part of my job.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me anytime. Send me your location and I can advise you on surgeons and programs close to you.
    I provided the OP a link to ASMBS, thought he may find it helpful WRT a provider in his area. You may have more gouge that would supersede that info.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I provided the OP a link to ASMBS, thought he may find it helpful WRT a provider in his area. You may have more gouge that would supersede that info.
    The ASMBS website is an excellent place to start. https://asmbs.org/patients

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Most competent weight loss surgery programs will always start with nutritional counseling and a medical weight loss trial, and the vast majority of insurance companies will require it too, usually anywhere from 3 months to a year depending on the company's policies. There are no accredited programs where you would see the surgeon and schedule the operation, even if you are self-pay. Unless you decide to have it done in Mexico. Then, anything goes.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Two things:

1) Be sure you've really tried all other options, and look at nutrition broadly. I know many people who've made big, positive changes by changing their diet. It's not always just eating less either. For many people the low-carb diet, or the somewhat similar paleo diet, works great. I have a strong suspicion that deficiency of key minerals is making a lot of people fat - let me first say I'm not a doctor, so ask a doctor or do your own research - but it's very difficult to get recommended amounts of iodine and magnesium in a US diet, even a "healthy" one, and supplementing those is easy, cheap, and low risk. I found that my appetite and weight both decreased just by taking the RDA of iodine on a daily basis. YMMV. If you haven't already had blood work to look at your thyroid function, hormonal levels, and possible unknown allergies, you should. If your doctor isn't interested, find another one who's willing to look. The testing cost is in the $500 range, likely covered by insurance, and may be illuminating.

2) If you decide to go the bariatric route, research - research - RESEARCH the surgeon and program you are considering. In my job I get to see the med mal losses for a huge number of physicians and hospitals, and I can tell you that (a) bariatric in general is a high-risk field, and (b) there are very wide ranges of difference in the medical results of different bariatric surgeons. Hmac would be the expert here but I imagine he won't want to be too detailed, at least publicly, given the likelihood of stirring the politics within that specialty. You should be able to find useful information with diligent research. If all else fails, I would focus on the leading academic medical centers (just for example, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and U of Michigan - but without knowing anything specific to their bariatric programs or experience).

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    So what have you been doing/trying that hasn't worked for you? Both for diet and exercise. What exactly are your goals? I know it can seem like you've tried everything, but maybe you just haven't dialed it in completely to see results.

I would also recommend to look at a full hormone panel to get a better idea of what is potentially causing this underneath the surface. Just my opinion, but I'd look to surgery as an absolute last resort.

Feedback Score
    If you cannot on your own change your eating habits to lose weight,
    And are seriously considering surgery to force you to change your eatings,

Take a serious look at yourself and any issues.
    Long and hard.

Do you really need surgery to change your eating?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Do you really need surgery to change your eating?
    The answer to that question for the overwhelming majority of the US obese population is "yes".

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I should mention to the OP that weight loss surgery wouldn't be contemplated in someone whose body mass index is less than 35. And if it's less than 40, wouldn't be contemplated unless there are significant co-morbidities such as diabetes, sleep apnea, degenerative joint disease, high blood pressure, hypercholesterolemia, or cardiovascular disease. BMI calculator

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Thanks for the input everyone. I am extremely unsure on what course of action to take next so all the input is greatly appreciated. Except for that Hmac guy. He sounds like a guy who doesn't know what he is talking about.

A bit of background. Up until my mid to late 20s I was extremely active. Sports, martial arts, similar activities. I stayed in good shape even when my weight fluctuated up and down. Tore up the muscles in my back in my late 20s and that put a big slowdown on things. Add to that just having to adult and things slowly started sliding backwards but not to an irreversible point. I was still active in some things from shooting to trying to do some biking.

But then a couple years ago my life hit rock bottom. I posted about it on here one day when it got to be too bad. Depression kicked my ass and I shut down for a long while. Things are better now. I am happy with my life. But at this point I put on a LOT of weight. I now find myself 38 years old. 6 foot tall and 365lbs. obviously this is un****ingacceptable

Perhaps I am making excuses. However to give you an idea of my lifestyle. I work on average about 60 hours a week as a real estate broker including weekend. On top of that I spend a good bit of the rest of my time helping my parents out. Mind you I am not complaining. I love what I do, and I am always more than happy to help my parents. They deserve all I can do and more. My point is that it is hard to find the time to work out, and often my meals are comprised of no breakfast, maybe a quick bite for lunch, and a large dinner late at night because that is all I have time for. And the Gym? Yeah. If I could find more than 15 minutes of uninterrupted time I would love too...
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Perhaps I am making excuses. However to give you an idea of my lifestyle. I work on average about 60 hours a week as a real estate broker including weekend. On top of that I spend a good bit of the rest of my time helping my parents out. Mind you I am not complaining. I love what I do, and I am always more than happy to help my parents. They deserve all I can do and more. My point is that it is hard to find the time to work out, and often my meals are comprised of no breakfast, maybe a quick bite for lunch, and a large dinner late at night because that is all I have time for. And the Gym? Yeah. If I could find more than 15 minutes of uninterrupted time I would love too...
    Trying to help here not be a jerk - but - your lifestyle and eating habits are the problem. Having bariatric surgery would force you to change them, with the possibility of putting your life in greater danger if you don't. Figuring out how to change your habits without surgery will get you to the same (or better) result with a lot less pain and money. Workout time would help but is not as important as the daily schedule and eating routine.

I guarantee that your body chemistry is messed up at your weight. And I'll bet you got the weight partly because your body chemistry wasn't perfect 5-10 years ago, combined with that lifestyle and the normal slowdown/spread in your 30's.

I would encourage you to seek a medically-supervised weight loss program, but table the idea of surgery for a while. Try the lifestyle changes that surgery would force you to make, before getting any surgery.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast