Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The thought of having a short barrel gun that shoot 12 gauge shell, compact enough to carry in a duffel bag AND doesn't require a tax stamp intrigued me. So I bought a slightly used Shockwave from a local guy. Took it and a box of 1 oz. bird shots to the range and set up a paper target the size of an IDPA/USPSA target. I started at 5 yds. I did watch Clint Smith's video before buying the gun so I took his advice and didn't put the trigger hand anywhere near my face, not wanting to knock myself out with the first shot. I held the gun kind of like shooting a handgun in the retention position, i.e the trigger hand next to my rib cage as high as possible about nipple high and the front hand inside the retaining strap. The first shot my front hand slipped a little but didn't come off the gun. The shots all hit the center of the target, blowing a hole slightly bigger than my fist, very impressive. For the next shot, I took two huge steps backward, so I was about 7 yds from the target. Similar results, on the target and with me shooting. At 10 yards, I didn't hit the target, I fired a couple of shots and realized I was shooting high. Focusing over the barrel and making sure my body was squared with the target, I made contact with the fresh new target for the next several shots. It took quite a bit of time to get all shots on target. I backed up to 15 yards and it was hard for me to keep the shots on target while shooting from high chest level and basically point shooting.

I didn't dare holding the gun as high as Mr. Smith did in his video, I know my limitation. The trigger hand was quite comfortable for all shots, I guess the grip designer knew what he was doing. The front hand was a different story. Even with the strap, I had difficulty holding on to the handguard. Maybe my little hand or weak grip strength but twice in 25 shots, my hand came off the handguard, the strap did keep my hand and the gun from separating very far. I was not comfortable with that at all. I did not try rapid fire, all shots were deliberate controlled shots. The quickest were maybe 2 seconds per shots, which by rifle or pistol standard is sloooow.

Running out of ammo, I realized I was happy that it's over. I told somebody that it was like riding a roller coaster without wear a seat belt. It was fun and scary at the same time. I sold the gun less than 24 hours later.

Maybe some of you weight lifting, big arms, huge hands type can handle this gun. BTW, I do not have any problem handling 12 gauge buckshots from an 870 with 20 inch barrel and conventional stock.
    This is why I have a 12.5" SBS, and will not be buying one of these. I can deliver a ridiculous amount of buckshot or slugs very quickly and accurately,

And yes, I did a test where I bought a Raptor handle and swapped it for the Magpul stock. Not worth it. And I like shotguns a lot, and practice with them a lot.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This is why I have a 12.5" SBS, and will not be buying one of these. I can deliver a ridiculous amount of buckshot or slugs very quickly and accurately,

And yes, I did a test where I bought a Raptor handle and swapped it for the Magpul stock. Not worth it. And I like shotguns a lot, and practice with them a lot.
    Does 12.5 come flush with the mag tube? Do you have any 14's? I am thinking of an 870 SBS with a 14" bbl I want the extra round. Who did the 12.5" bbl for you?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Judges have a semi-rifled bore, if I remember right. It's seen as a .45LC revolver that "just so happens" to fit .410.
    Would a rifled bbl work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rifling does funny/bad things to patterning and spread. Think of it like spinning a coin on its edge (rifled barrel, standard bullet), vs spinning a stack of 3-4 coins on their edge (rifled barrel, shotshell).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnpjrRvFTLw
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 01-05-18 at 21:58.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Rifling does funny/bad things to patterning and spread. Think of it like spinning a coin on its edge (rifled barrel, standard bullet), vs spinning a stack of 3-4 coins on their edge (rifled barrel, shotshell).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnpjrRvFTLw
    Spreader chokes are often used for certain sporting clays targets. Some spreader chokes are riflled. Others are tighter than full to deform the shot. Deformed shot flies erratically opening up the pattern. That's why most buckshot shoots tighter in a cylinder bore gun.

Feedback Score
    Practical for stowing and access in the truck or maneuver in the home.
    Raptor grip is significantly less punishing than a pistol grip.
    I've practiced with the Shockwave quite a lot over the past several months using the same technique as Clint Smith. Fast and easy to aim.

Hickok45 vid comparison Mossberg/Remington https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzfreZBvyyI

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-10-18 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Spreader chokes are often used for certain sporting clays targets. Some spreader chokes are riflled. Others are tighter than full to deform the shot. Deformed shot flies erratically opening up the pattern. That's why most buckshot shoots tighter in a cylinder bore gun.
    I don't think this guy fully understood what he was doing, and 10 yards only doesn't explain a lot, but each load (except the Flite Control) patterned tighter will the full choke than the IC.

Feedback Score
    I think this thing with an sb tactical brace and a law folder might be a good way of getting a sbs where sbs’s are not allowed. Would also be a good wilderness gun/camping gun where you don’t have tvqoery about nfa stuff.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My vote is "toy".

The intimidation factor is through the roof granted, but have you actually shot a 12 ga. pistol grip at speed, with OO Buck and been pleased with the results?
    From the perspective of hits on target and on the shooters end?

Shotguns have stocks for a reason.
    Yes I have done that with my shockwave and I am very happy with the results. These things are actually very easy to run guys. 25 yards and in it is a great gun. Outside of that realm I am not choosing any shotgun anyway. I have both a stocked shotgun and a shockwave. When it comes to HD, if you are staying put, either will work great. If you are going to be moving, I would actually prefer the shockwave because I find it much "handier".

But everyone is different and I am fine with people thinking they are toys.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I don't think so. His heads up push the gun technique takes too much time to get a sight picture. Anyone but a clutz should be able hit center mass on an IPSC target 10-15 feet away from a low ready position in much less time.
    Why not practice both?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast