Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately it will not work, these have a short action and the tube is not long enough.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Specifically "A. 'Sawed-off shotgun' shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion."

Overall length doesn't even get a chance to factor into the equation.
    So you can't own a 16" AR in Ok?? That sux.

I've never understood the purpose behind these things. Aside from something specific, like a breaching shotgun I can't imagine how one would use it effectively. Maybe spray and pray??

Feedback Score
    I went a head and stippled the grip tonight, it is MUCH better now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post

I've never understood the purpose behind these things. Aside from something specific, like a breaching shotgun I can't imagine how one would use it effectively. Maybe spray and pray??
    Generally, I've heard of guys wanting them for 'truck' shotgun and/or just for fun.

As far as shooting them - most of the slings I've seen mounted are not, IMO, ideally configured for use with the weapon. This configuration is the only one for which I would use a single point sling.

The sling should allow you to raise the shotgun as if you are mounting it into the shoulder. The sling should be taut with the support arm fully extended - pressure forward with the support hand/arm, slight pull back with the strong arm/hand and there you go, should be just about as accurate as from the shoulder.

That is essentially the way I have found works best for me when using a full stocked shotgun with a single-point sling. In that case the recoil pad of the stock just lightly touches the shoulder.

This is also pretty similar to the end result of using the HK three-point sling to achieve their sling tensioned CQB stance.

BTW as soon as I find a Remington TAC 14 available locally, I'm getting one, just for fun.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-22-17 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    So you can't own a 16" AR in Ok?? That sux.
    series of projectiles
    ARs, and other rifles, are fine.

Hell, every time I click this thread I think more and more about an 18.5" version...

How would the added 4.5" affect the whole setup?

Feedback Score
    It will be longer? LOL plus you can shoulder it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Its not a "fighting shotgun", but it doesn't appear as useless as one would think. I'm thinking of getting one, semi-compact and handy, definitely requires technique...

Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score

Hell, every time I click this thread I think more and more about an 18.5" version...

The total length added will be less than 4.5 in because you can use a regular pistol grip. A regular pistol grip doesn't add the lenght the Shockwave grip does.

So with an 18.1 inch barrel you add 4.1 inches to the barrel but take away a little over 2 inches from the grip end. So an 18 inch pump with pistol grip is only about two Inches longer than the Shockwave.

Might as well do that or put a folding stock on it. A lousy feeling stock that folds is better than no stock at all imo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Helpful article in American Rifleman online offering a simple explanation of why these can be purchased without all the NFA paperwork and tax stamp:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...590-shockwave/

Feedback Score

I was working on a 18.5" 870 Shockwave before the Mossberg came out. I was inspired by Brownells publication which had a 18-20" 870 with a Surefire light fore end and a Shockwave. Overall, my 18.5" option is usable enough that my home defense shotgun has the Shockwave grip and a long tube.

Downsides include the length - four extra inches to bang into stuff. Also four inches longer for a bad guy to grab, which is a minor concern in my home defense use case. It also has no stock to brace against the body for a one handed hold, such as opening a door, especially a pull towards you door.

The extra weight cuts both ways, soaking up recoil but feels obviously less balanced. The ergonomics of the Shockwave are awesome for recoil management, but I find it near impossible to hold and point the shotgun with one hand, unlike a traditional pistol grip. Maybe I just need to workout more, but not a one hand gun to shoot.

Recoil is manageable in the 12ga, even with 3inch buck. Low recoil rounds were surprisingly manageable. I did get complacent in one testing session with a load of birdshot and trying to cycle at speed. The receiver brushed my nose when I did not have enough forward and downward pressure on the fore end/pump. Close call, but happy I did not end up like one YouTubed guy who got a face full of gun with blood to boot.

Suarez has a lot to say about the use of this type of shotgun. As usual, it is far from politically correct. After playing around with this concept, I think he has some well reasoned outcomes. He talks a lot about using #4 for certain outdoor uses, which resulted in reminding me why nearly all of law enforcement moved from #4 - the pattern is wide from a cylinder barrel.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast